Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:33 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
$200K, at $2000 a month. = 100 months.

It's only 8 years and 3 months.

Okay, if one gets a pension of $1000 a month.

Then those $200K will last twice as long: 16 years.

Hmmmm. What would one do after those 8 years, or 16 years?
And what if one's SS/pension is $2k/month? Then under your scenario, the $200k lasts forever, right? See, we can play all kinds of games with your hypothetical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Some of those are suspect. No way in hell that Austria could be affordable to retire in. Besides, it's part of the EU, and it is impossible to move to the EU if you don't have a great job lined up. They're not exactly looking for fat foreigners to come and live out their retirement there.
Hmm, several EU countries have essentially retirement visas targeting fat retired foreigners. (ok, not necessarily fat). I do agree with you on Austria's cost though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Then you get complete health-care for $80/couple a month, when you cross this border. LOL. No deductibles or co-pays. I got to ride in an ambulance for 2 hours, all covered.
$80/month for a couple? Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Really?

You think that inflation has tripled in 17 years?
It has not...$100k in 2001 is about $145k now. But the pension is a wildcard.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
All I can say is visit the country first, at least once, but best to visit twice at least before you move, and stay in an apartment/home (not a nice hotel) and try and picture your everyday life in that country.

Good looking women (or men), walkability, street markets and a brand new culture and city to explore are all awesome things, but once the dust settles, you need to make friends. Its not as easy to make English speaking friends in many or all of these countries. It takes a lot of time, persistance and great effort, esp if your middle age or older.

The article said there are many English speaking tourists there. Do you really want to make friends with tourists or very transient groups of English speaking expats? You want English speaking friends who are committed to that city/country and who will be there long term, like you. Its tough. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it takes years to make a good social circle in a foreign country.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
... It has not...$100k in 2001 is about $145k now. But the pension is a wildcard.
That sounds more like it. Still a lot less than $200k

Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Really?

You think that inflation has tripled in 17 years?
Bad estimation on my part.

How about this.

Dow grew ~140% from 10,500 around same time in 2001 to current 25,000, or a multiple of 2.4.

So, $100K * 2.4 = $240K.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Several countries have retirement visas (which specifically prohibit working, btw). I don't know about all of the EU, but it is relatively easy to retire to Spain or Portugal.
It is also possible to get EU citizenship by descent from several countries if one qualifies & that would allow residency anywhere in the EC countries. Health insurance is possible after residency is established.

Affluent folks can essentially purchase citizenship in several countries there by proving superior net worth or investing a certain amount of $$$ in various things.

I would think a poor country like Albania which has mountains, wilderness & a stunning coastline adjacent to Greece, Italy & Croatia would be someplace that could exploit this for currency once it gets into the EU, but who knows how long that will take. (Plus I don't know if the government there is still basically organized crime in suits.)

Old 07-20-2018, 05:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
These affordable retirement lists are always stupid as they never mention the very important information of -visa requirements-

Money always helps of course, but without a residency visa there ain't going to be no retirement there. And the visa requirements are NEVER mentioned in these kinds of sales pitches.

So dumb. Absolute clickbait and I didn't even bother to click on it. No mention of visas means the article is pure BS.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:00 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Then you get complete health-care for $80/couple a month, when you cross this border. LOL. No deductibles or co-pays. I got to ride in an ambulance for 2 hours, all covered.

How is the healthcare though? Do they have high tech equipment for testing like they do here? Are the doctors knowledgeable? Those are the things we are worried about and would probably stop us from moving from the U.S. However, the cost of healthcare in this country is getting completely out of hand. I'm not retired yet, but will be in about 12 years (give or take). I just got $6k work of bills due to deductibles. How can I save for retirement when I have to pay that every year! It's terrible!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM

194 posts, read 191,349 times
The East and West coasts are expensive, but middle America for the most part is pretty affordable.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
The East and West coasts are expensive, but middle America for the most part is pretty affordable.
Mostly because no one wants to live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement