Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
what did everyone's Mom say when the kids complained "We're bored!"

"Only boring people get bored." Either that, or she would find chores for you to do. Then you got un-bored real quick.
Our mothers are/were geniuses. This will always be true. Happy people are happy, boring people are bored. Life is what you make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
If you have the money and enjoy hard labor, go for it, OP. Lots of retirees own rentals; our 65 y/o friend here has 5 units he's dealing with.

It wouldn't appeal to me, but sometimes it can be a money-maker.

How about traveling to see the world, if you're bored? Just planning trips can be fun, in of itself.

Beats shoveling horse manure, which I never did in all my years of having horses. No way! (they will pick a spot away from where they stand/relax, and it will disinigrate)

Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Retired finance guy. Buying rental properties for something to do all day is an option. Spend all day on Excel, let’s do this.

I could be the next Trump. How hard can it be?

If that's what you want to do, go for it, why not?

Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
If you really are having a hard time finding anything you want to do or accomplish, you might want to spend some time handling any loose ends in your personal affairs. Then you will be ready to check out whenever the boredom gets to be too much.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Rentals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Retired finance guy. Buying rental properties for something to do all day is an option. Spend all day on Excel, let’s do this.

I could be the next Trump. How hard can it be?
Have you owned rental property before? Sometimes, it can be a good thing.

You have to really search for the right property.

My husband and I need more income for the future. We hope to buy 2 more rental properties in the next 3 years; maybe 3 and then work hard at paying them off.

Right now, we have a primary home, a condo (rental) and a single family home (rental).

Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
The people I know who flunk retirement either
1) have no non-work interests such as golf, fishing, woodworking, crafts, quilting, gardening ....
2) do not easily make friends
3) have no interest in volunteering or mentoring

or all 3. Some people just aren't cut out for retirement.
Uh oh, looks like I won't be cut out for retirement when the time comes. I'll probably go nuts and do something crazy

Old 10-02-2018, 04:54 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,416,137 times
Retired in 2011 at 62, never looked back, never had to look for a P/T job and I refuse to Volunteer and or Mentor people.

I stay plenty bz and I am truly a Happy Camper.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Our mothers are/were geniuses. This will always be true. Happy people are happy, boring people are bored. Life is what you make of it.
I don't know if that's entirely true. Some people are just more easily entertained than others.

I think if you are accustomed to doing things at work all day with your brain (and complicated finance jobs would fit that bill), it can be really hard in retirement. Some people seek stimulation through complex mental tasks versus the "puttering around/physical tasks" that other people really enjoy. I'm not sure why we feel the need to throw shade at people who are mentally bored after retiring.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,058,826 times
to me, bored is "I can't think of anything I want to do." After being on this earth for 60+ years, isn't there ANYTHING you enjoy doing? Maybe a screening for depression might be in order, if you find so little joy in life.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't know if that's entirely true. Some people are just more easily entertained than others.

I think if you are accustomed to doing things at work all day with your brain (and complicated finance jobs would fit that bill), it can be really hard in retirement. Some people seek stimulation through complex mental tasks versus the "puttering around/physical tasks" that other people really enjoy. I'm not sure why we feel the need to throw shade at people who are mentally bored after retiring.
I think you are describing no interests outside of work. I know many that had jobs with complex mental tasks. They also enjoyed other things.

People have to learn to turn parts of the past off. That includes your previous occupation. An example I've used many times is a man I participate in an activity with several times a week. Had more conversations than I could count. After about 5 years I found out he used to be a MD. Later today I will be meeting with 4 people. I know 1 was a pro athlete the other 3 could be retired mailmen, attorneys, trash collectors, or professors for all I know. Their previous occupation doesn't come into play for the things we will be doing today. My BILs friend from softball used to work at Los Alamos. I am sure he did complex mental tasks in his previous life and he loves playing softball.

So please quit trying to insult the people that enjoy their life. "Puttering around" and "easily entertained" is insulting to the people that were successful at turning off their career when they retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement