Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:37 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times

Advertisements

No point living forever if you can't do things that make you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 PM

163 posts, read 94,970 times
Daisy Grey, I am female, late 50's and also love to boogie board and body surf. My mom and dad were still body surfing at 68. It's my last memory of spending quality time with my dad before he passed from cancer 3 months later. Even while undergoing chemo and radiation, he was determined to enjoy the ocean! I hope to be able to do it for 20 or more years! There is a euphoria that I can't describe. I taught both kids how to skim board when they were young, and the last time I was on a skim board was at 40. Have had 4 knee surgeries since then so no more--the mind says yes and the body says no. Hope you can continue to enjoy riding the waves too!!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:41 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
I'm past the age that is "acceptable" to have fun. I skate board, downhill, cycle, and scooter downtown on my commute. The American culture forces people to "act their age." and It's sad. But at least there are a few of us who choose not to live by the rules of others.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
No one objects to having fun nor do I think someone needs to particularly act their age - it's the smashing to the concrete in falls off a skateboard or manual scooter that an older body cannot take as easily.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
I am in my 40s and still surf every day when the waves are good and skate around my hometown for exercise when I am out running errands. Not sure what the problem is? I grew up in Southern CA where it's pretty "normal" to not act like the typical 40 year-old in some cases. Who wants to spend their free time talking about mortgage rates, doctor visits, and job BS? I tend to avoid those guys like the plague. They are usually in poor health and have one foot in the grave already. Life's about living. Get busy living or get busy dying.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Good for him. I know guys older than that who are still mountain biking up and down steep trails around here. One of them, pushing 70, had a fall that shoved a stick through his face and lodged in the gums, requiring dental surgery.

Did that stop him? Nope, I saw him biking every day this past summer. Well, it was a bit less challenging of a route though.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:50 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
A few 60-something guys here surf. That really impresses me. But perhaps water is more forgiving than concrete! Keeps them in shape, for sure. I was roller-blading in my late 50s which I really enjoyed. But then "things changed"....

I may try a rusted bike out on the hard sand, but no way on the streets.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM

587 posts, read 443,717 times
We don't skateboard, but my husband and I still snow ski (downhill). I am 58 and he is 61. We both have skied all of our lives and are excellent skiers, but these days we aren't on the slopes from opening until closing. We usually ski hard all morning then take a break for lunch and take it easier in the afternoon. We are hoping that Utah gets some good snow by Christmas since we are heading there for a week!

Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I was an avid skater in my youth- part of the mid to late 70s resurgence of skateboarding. Got vertical a lot. G&S Fibreflex was my board.

Now at 53, I do pause sometimes to watch the young kids skate. They do some amazing things that we never dreamt of. They still have a bit of the rebel image as well. Good for them.

I suppose if I thought I could do a ramp or an empty pool, I might just do so. But I would probably kill myself.

If this fella can do it, more power to him.

You aren't too old to shred a little, amigo. I still hop on my old Dogtown 'Bigfoot' once and awhile

Old 10-09-2018, 10:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
No one objects to having fun nor do I think someone needs to particularly act their age - it's the smashing to the concrete in falls off a skateboard or manual scooter that an older body cannot take as easily.
Exactly. I still bike, hike, and kayak. I would much rather keep doing those than be injured while learning to handle a motorcycle. If I had taken that up decades ago I would probably continue doing it. Learning something is very different from continuing a well-entrenched activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement