Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:19 AM

705 posts, read 563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My kids are in their busy forties. I always tell them, "Spend more time with me."
Time is the most precious gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,570 times
Everyone that knows me knows not to get me anything. Family included. I've been this way since I've become a parent. I tell everyone to make sure my girls are spoiled rotten though lol

Old 11-26-2018, 10:21 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,817,815 times
John and I have never exchanged gifts nor did we participate in any celebrations concerning his side of the family. Friends and neighbors drop off home made cookies and treats and that's perfect. We have new young friends with a six year old that will spend the night with us again on Christmas Eve. All of our focus will be on giving her a great Christmas. We did exchange small gifts last year. It was a lot of fun, but mostly because of the little one's excitement. Christmas is for kids.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,852,123 times
We don't do presents for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays. We might go out to dinner for special occasions. Our only son is 34 - we've done things like help him with a home purchase or a new car purchase, but, like us, the last thing he needs is more stuff around the house.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,901,278 times
Gosh no, I prefer people to send me more gifts. A house in the mountains, a new truck, cash...

Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 PM

24,721 posts, read 9,524,597 times
Considering most people will give you gifts you either don't want, won't use, or are cheap, I prefer not to have gifts.

Unless you plan to get me alot of free money, don't bother. Save the money for yourself.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,918 times
I am up front with some people about it when they surprise me with an unexpected present, I tell them as tactfully as I can that I don't swap gifts outside of close family members because it just gets to be too much; I have to stop somewhere and I decided to make that at home. I don't tell everyone, though. Sometimes I just say thanks, don't open it right then, don't reciprocate and don't mention it again. Yeah, that seems rude but they usually get the point without an awkward conversation.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,505,081 times
I enjoy Christmas tremendously...The lights...The tree...The music...The dinner. If you have young children, or grandchildren (as we do), it really becomes something special to watch the magic of the holiday through their eyes.

But gifts? Nope. I had to really put my foot down with our two grown daughters. Over some years I had been gifted with enough expensive clothes to open a men's store! I gave over half of it to my brother, who needed it and wears the same size.

The wife and I buy thoughtful gifts that are needed by each other, throughout the year. It is always a one-way thing, and can range from a piece of jewelry to a dinner out to an electronic gizmo, like the Kindle she once bought me, which is heavily used.

Neither one of us wants or needs gifts from other people.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Time is the most precious gift.
But chocolate walnut fudge runs a close second.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:13 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,506,424 times
Except for my OH, i prefer to NOT get gifts from other adults. Or from the great nephews for that matter.

I dont 1) want to have to reciprocate 2) often dont know what to get them 3) they mostly have everything they really need .

The biggest gifts all go to the great nephews, ages 9, 5, 3. Last year my idea was a HUGE hit for them, and it was all my idea. Glad to know i made their Christmas special!

Otherwise, don't get me anything and i wont get you anything. A nice card would be nice, though.

This year my OH and I will have 4 gifts each under the tree, already bought. A couple of sweaters, a couple krugerrands. And a stocking each of Christmas candies, diabetic and regular for me. Thats it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement