Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 06:58 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,058,679 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to whether the posters who were or are in the "no gifts" camp are originally (or are now) from a large family or a small one. Because I can see where gifting could or can be onerous if there's a lot of people to buy for.

As an only child, my parents basically had to only buy gifts for each other and for me. My one uncle and aunt were childless and always spent the winter holidays at my aunt's family out of state, so we didn't see them. My parents had a tradition that I could choose one gift to open on Xmas Eve and then the others, plus the contents of the stocking, the following morning. I contined that tradition with my son (also an only.)

When I was my teens my dad started a game whereby every Saturday, starting on Thanksgiving weekend, he'd give me a hint about what one of my presents was going to be. I would do the same in return. At any point during the following week we each could make one guess -- and one guess only -- for that week, as to what we thought the gift was and the giver was honor bound to answer truthfully Yes or No. This led to some pretty creative hints, as you can imagine, because the idea was to give accurate hints but not so good as to let the recipient be able to guess what the gift was. We continued that tradition even when I was an adult and with my son as well.

Obviously this game would never work for people who are last-minute gift buyers, LOL

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 11-27-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 AM

8,800 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Dh and I started something new, a few years ago. We buy Christmas presents for our self. We wrap them up, and put them under the tree. The surprise for the other, is what we bought for our self. We buy things that are a good deal , and we need. Save`s time standing in line with returns. My DH could not even buy me knee socks. He bought little girl sizes.
Again, we buy things that are useful, that we need. Clothes are very hard to buy, for someone else. We wait for Christmas, and buy then.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:15 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,618,206 times
I don't want gifts, I just want people to leave me alone and stay the hell away.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,224,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
My husband I don't feel we need gifts at Christmas. A few people always want to know what we'd like as a gift and each year I say, the truth is we don't want or need anything. I worked hard to get rid of all the excess we'd had for years.

I have zero need of things. Give me your time for some some good conversation and that is invaluable compared to any thing you could give me.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:04 AM

972 posts, read 544,914 times
I have a while to go before retirement age, but I lost interest in gift-giving many years ago. I'd prefer to get together and share a meal, event, or travel experience.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:31 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,338,433 times
Nothing like reading a thread like this to get depressed in advance of the holidays.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:59 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,058,679 times
Well, I'm an unapologetic materialist, always have been and always will be. That said, I have always been really fussy/picky/etc about whatever stuff I either acquire or receive.

One thing I never liked anyone to gift me was clothes. Not only am I picky about style and color and fabric, but I'm not easy to fit. Depending on the cut of something, I can be anything from a Small to a Large, and as for pants or shoes, fuggedaboudit. I dread even shopping for those things for myself, LOL, and if I find something that miraculously does fit I usually buy multiples. I have eight pair of brand new Jones NY and Coldwater Creek jeans in my closet, bought just before those companies went pffft a few years ago.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:19 AM

561 posts, read 325,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I used to have a friend who had an usual philosophy regarding gift giving. She never gave gifts for birthdays, Christmas or any of the other typical gift giving occasions. She believed the best gifts were unexpected gifts. If she was out and about and saw something she thought something someone she knew would like she would buy it and give it to them. She thought that type of gift was much more appreciated than an obligatory gift.

She was a very unconventional person. One of my favorite people.
I love this idea.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,492,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Nothing like reading a thread like this to get depressed in advance of the holidays.
Why do you find this thread depressing?

Old 11-28-2018, 10:54 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,689,162 times
Giving..The essence of Christian philosophy, and yet so many do not understand the concept of need. We give to our favorite charity and call it a day. Having friends and family here for a great dinner and conversation seems to brighten the holidays, and defy the winter gloom. We already have so much, so giving money to worthwhile causes seems to be in order on a holiday that began as a tribute to the notion of selfless caring. A big thank you to all who give freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement