Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:42 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it isnt even the same thing, how do you get fairness out of it?

why not cut food stamps instead to save tax money? or cut medicare?

and those arent retirement loans, they put up collateral for that money, what collateral did the student put up for college? his "future"? now the banks are collecting on it. dont put something up for collateral if you dont want to risk losing it
I am saying that taxpayers should NOT have to further fund the retirements of people from the private sector. However, if it's going to be forced on us, and it looks as if it is, then cut people loose from their student loan debt.

Don't get me wrong here, those retirees were cheated, no doubt about it. But it shouldn't be up to the taxpayers to make them whole. That's ridiculous. And criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:48 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
and i said your rant about retirement is no different than funding healthcare or food for the private sector, why single out one govt issue because you are up in fumes over college debt?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
and i said your rant about retirement is no different than funding healthcare or food for the private sector, why single out one govt issue because you are up in fumes over college debt?
Because the issue came up today and it's a retirement issue, that's why I'm posting it here in this particular forum. I don't think it's right, and I don't think people should be hosed for it. I suspect you may be in danger of losing a private sector pension.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:57 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
old folks are the most dependable voting demographic in every election.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:00 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I am saying that taxpayers should NOT have to further fund the retirements of people from the private sector. However, if it's going to be forced on us, and it looks as if it is, then cut people loose from their student loan debt.

Don't get me wrong here, those retirees were cheated, no doubt about it. But it shouldn't be up to the taxpayers to make them whole. That's ridiculous. And criminal.
So I have $35k in credit card debt. Can I get cut loose from that if I, as a taxpayer, am going to be forced to fund the retirement of people in the private sector?

Old 11-26-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
old folks are the most dependable voting demographic in every election.
Yep, the article does make that point.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So I have $35k in credit card debt. Can I get cut loose from that if I, as a taxpayer, am going to be forced to fund the retirement of people in the private sector?
Exactly.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:24 AM

863 posts, read 795,945 times
Just curious,

Are you in favor of taxpayers giving billions a year to the oil companies? How about the bank bailout? What about the new Amazon HQ's?

Taxpayers pay for everything, which is why we don't live in a true capitalist economy. If we did, the gov't wouldn't bail out anyone.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:40 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why do you act like those with corporate pensions all have golf carts and are living, apparently, in expensive retirement communities? No need to demonize the retirees when it is the execs who failed to adequately fund the accounts! BTW, there are regulations about how funding is to be done and there are some safeguards in place to protect those who are due a pension if a company goes bankrupt.

These days I am more outraged at corporate welfare than that for individuals but let's be sure the right people are punished.
Amen,

If we can bail out banks out the wazoo, we can bail out some poor smuck who through no fault of his own is losing the pension promised to him and that he worked for.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Because the issue came up today and it's a retirement issue, that's why I'm posting it here in this particular forum. I don't think it's right, and I don't think people should be hosed for it. I suspect you may be in danger of losing a private sector pension.
People Hosed for it?? excuse me what about the people who PAID into it all their working years? what about the folks who accepted lower pay for the promise of a pension?
Companies did not just GIVE out pensions, most not all but most had employee pay into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement