Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:29 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Oh dear! I thought you had worked this out a while ago.
Me, too.

Every time I think it's worked out I find there's something he's been holding back from me.

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
I know a man who lives in Arizona who is long retired and flies with the Civil Air Patrol.

Ham radio is totally portable.

When I lived in AZ, I was a member of the local Sheriff's Posse for 9 years. There are 57 Posses in Maricopa county alone. There is an aviation posse, mounted posses, jeep posses and community posses.

We joined the RV club in our community and went on trips to many places in the west, including Canada, Mexico, many national parks and other places. We cruised to Alaska with our family for our 50th anniversary.

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Because he says he has abandonment issues. I left him once before, for two months in late 2017.

I need to be at the new place next Tuesday because the bedroom suite I ordered arrived at the store a month early. (Every piece made in the U.S.A. Gotta love the American work ethic!) Anyway, he's trying to keep me from going because he doesn't like to come home to an empty house.

I agree with you and the others who've said that I should go anyway if for no other reason than it might clarify his thinking.
There's your answer. Go to AZ. Let him come home to an empty house for awhile, again ... maybe doing that for a few more months will make him realize that if he wants to live with you, he has to retire and move too. I know that's easier said than done.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:34 AM

498 posts, read 572,147 times
fluffy - I agree withd carvinalday. DO YOUR THING! Go, enjoy, and when you miss him, return to the Bay area. Need your retirement fix, go back to the retirement home. Repeat, repeat. Best of both worlds. No big deal. Maybe you will both be happy. One day he will retire - no choice. Then a decision for the next ten years will have to be made at that time. Don't worry about that day until it happens. Go enjoy yourself.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:36 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Oh, no. Let's hope it's a false positive. I am hoping to meet you someday and get the skinny on the best English tea rooms in PHX.
thanks fluffy. there is a fab tea room in Carefree run by an English woman and yes meeting you for tea would be a delight .

Old 03-29-2019, 10:41 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I know a man who lives in Arizona who is long retired and flies with the Civil Air Patrol.

Ham radio is totally portable.

When I lived in AZ, I was a member of the local Sheriff's Posse for 9 years. There are 57 Posses in Maricopa county alone. There is an aviation posse, mounted posses, jeep posses and community posses.

We joined the RV club in our community and went on trips to many places in the west, including Canada, Mexico, many national parks and other places. We cruised to Alaska with our family for our 50th anniversary.

Yep, I know! Maricopa County is growing like wildfire (net migration 33,000 people annually) and there are volunteer opportunities for every interest. There are so many activities we could be involved in, both together and separately. I think some earlier posters had it right: He's too invested in his job to see that life could be better without it.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
fluffy,

Would you be okay doing it solo, like back and forth anyway, or would that be something you're not interested in? It sounds like he's set staying at his job for a while, but who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Quote:

But I'm scared, too. Worried that I may not be able to walk without assistance much longer, which will make me permanently housebound in a place I hate.
Just wanted to mention that I bring a very lightweight nylon folding stool with me at all times outside so I can sit and rest while walking a short distance - and use it inside the house too - in kitchen and wherever I am.
It helps a lot! (I have the ALPS stool which they no longer offer, but they have a foldable $39 stool with a back that is just like it) Since they're foldable, it helps. (this remedy is due to severe arthritis)

Grand Rapids | ALPS Mountaineering

Adventure Chair | ALPS Mountaineering

Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Another thing private pilots do is transport dogs who have been adopted from out of state. There is an organization for this... can't remember what it is called.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:49 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Because he says he has abandonment issues. I left him once before, for two months in late 2017.

I need to be at the new place next Tuesday because the bedroom suite I ordered arrived at the store a month early. (Every piece made in the U.S.A. Gotta love the American work ethic!) Anyway, he's trying to keep me from going because he doesn't like to come home to an empty house.

I agree with you and the others who've said that I should go anyway if for no other reason than it might clarify his thinking.
That’s his choice, you tell him. You want to be somewhere else. You have to please you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement