Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

So this morning I asked my spouse, "Why did we buy a retirement house, when you clearly have no plans to retire? Do you really want to be carried out of the office feet-first?"

He gave me another of a long series of vague remarks that he would probably retire, maybe, someday: "Well, they have this annual survey at the office and one of the questions is, `Do you see yourself working here for more than a year?' I answered No."

I told him that wasn't good enough. I want a retirement date. I want to be in the beautiful and thriving place we (I thought) selected with so many new-to-us and fascinating things to explore. I want to be living in the fabulous home that I picked out and furnished for us. I'm sick to death of the Bay Area. I want out. He knows this.

"But if I retire, what will I do?"

The guy is a network engineer, pilot and an amateur radio enthusiast. Codes for the fun of it. Owns his own airplane. But he can't think of anything to do in retirement. Wants ME to tell him what to do once retired.

I'm speechless.

I get that it's a big transition. This is a guy who thinks his co-workers are his friends, who gets upset whenever any of them leave the company. He is by far the oldest employee.

I understand I'm asking him to give up his "friends" at work and his non-work actual friends. And he's scared.

But I'm scared, too. Worried that I may not be able to walk without assistance much longer, which will make me permanently housebound in a place I hate. Terrified that one day I'll wake up as an 80 year old, still managing another property from afar without ever having lived there. And that I have wasted what's left of my life waiting for him to decide.

I am seriously considering putting the other house back on the market. We'll lose money but I can't keep living like this.

What would you do?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Move and start your life. Make new friends, take up new hobbies.

If you make him quit and he’s miserable, that’s on you. Time apart will lead to answers for both of you.

Best of luck.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Then just go off to Arizona and live your life

He might follow?

Can't he work from there

He is doing what he wants to do - why can't you?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:50 AM

515 posts, read 360,433 times
It is a mistake to get tied to a job or a house. My father had no problem retiring from his job but would not leave his house. The neighborhood was bad, you had to drive everywhere since it was not close to grocery, it was on a hill so winters were hell trying to clear the driveway, it had stairs that we had to put a lift in. My dad would not leave. He died still living at the house at 85. Don't wait. If you want to move, go before it is too late! At some point moving becomes impossible. Don't let that time sneak up on you.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:03 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
I wouldn't want an elderly private pilot, for one thing. If he wants to keep doing that activity, do it NOW before his brain cells age anymore. There's a reason commercial pilots have forced retirement at 60 or 65.

My ex was also a private pilot and ham operator. He thought he'd have plenty of time in retirement to enjoy those, but dropped dead of a heart attack at 65.

You can't change him; I agree with others---go to the retirement home with the excuse you are taking care of it and want to move on to the next phase.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:11 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Parents can force kids to do what they don't want to do.

Adults cannot do that to other adults.

Well maybe the police or government can - but you still don't have to do it - just suffer the consequences

So do what you want and let him suffer the consequences.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:30 AM

1,417 posts, read 735,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Move and start your life. Make new friends, take up new hobbies.

If you make him quit and he’s miserable, that’s on you. Time apart will lead to answers for both of you.

Best of luck.
I totally agree. His work is very tied up in his identity. Likely at this stage of marriage neither of you has the need to knock uglies every night, so sometime apart is in order. With web cams etc you can see each other each night if you so wish.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,495 times
I've seen a few people like this....and many times it isn't that they fear boredom in retirement (how would he be bored or not have anything to do being a pilot/plane owner anyway??) but they refuse to retire and use the "But what will I do?" excuse to mask the fears of becoming irrelevant or realizing they are not needed and the place can run fine without them.

They justify their existence via their work and without it would feel they have no purpose or importance so they stay on to feed that mindset...most are the ones that die at their desk.

To answer your question, I'm with everyone else who says move on and live your life on your terms. Maybe, seeing that will be a kick in his a** and he'll "get it" and finally retire...if he's remains that steadfast and committed to his job and "work friends" over your needs then it's apparent his work & friends matter more so then you'll have your answer.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:34 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,904 times
Would his work allow him to gradually transition to retirement? Or, even work remotely, perhaps part-time, from AZ? Once here, things might change, for the better or worse.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Would his work allow him to gradually transition to retirement? Or, even work remotely, perhaps part-time, from AZ? Once here, things might change, for the better or worse.
That was our joint hope. That would have been perfect, flying in and out once a week or so.

However, his manager put the kibosh on that notion, then reiterated it in his annual review. He either does what he's doing now or he retires. No middle ground, no accommodation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement