Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Up to you but a filling is a heckuva lot cheaper than a crown...many times (no, not all) a stitch in times saves nine. Crowns cost me at least $500 AFTER insurance and I'd rather save a tooth if I can. I guess teeth are disposable for some. If you don't trust your dentist's advice why do you see him/her?
In theory a crown is more expensive, but my husband already has filings in his front tooth. In order to get new filings, the dentist has to drill a bigger hole and put more fillings. Which one do you think will weaken the teeth more, bigger hole or smaller hole. My husband still has good teeth, he can eat and chew meat at 68. What more do you want. Throwing more money at things don’t necessarily guarantee a better outcome either. In short, use your head. Just because dentists or doctors suggested something doesn’t mean you have to do it. Especially it’s for cosmetic purpose only.

He is a new dentist for us, the old dentist retired. It’s not a question of trust, but they all have student loans to pay, so of course they are going to suggest more work. He is not the only one. I’m just more aware of things. I’m sure he’s going to say it saves my husband from having to pay for a crown later on. What do you expect him to say? What I’m saying is that if he has to have crown later on, he will pay for crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Seriously a lot cheaper. I've had a few root canals in my time and lots of crowns. When I was young my dad (who was not a dentist) told me to do whatever I could to save all my teeth. It's that important to one's health. I go every 4 months for a cleaning to keep my gums in decent shape (they need it). My insurance pays for 2 cleanings a year, I cover any additional. It's an investment as well as a priority.
I do three times cleaning as well, but I haven’t had a cavity in years, as in 30-40 years.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM

18,095 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I do three times cleaning as well, but I haven’t had a cavity in years, as in 30-40 years.
Once one gets past their teen years most of what they experience starts to be about the gums. Cavities generally (but not always) happen in the early teen years. Of course decay can occur on any tooth at any time, but there are times when teeth are more vulnerable and I learned puberty is one of those times. I had a lot of cavities around the age of 12 to 15.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Once one gets past their teen years most of what they experience starts to be about the gums. Cavities generally (but not always) happen in the early teen years. Of course decay can occur on any tooth at any time, but there are times when teeth are more vulnerable and I learned puberty is one of those times. I had a lot of cavities around the age of 12 to 15.
Yeap, I wish I took better care of my teeth when I was younger. One of my kids has no cavities so far, even at the age of 23.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:57 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Trust me - if you need a root canal - you will know.. You'll be in more pain than you ever imagined.
Yup. Don’t be fooled by dentists. They are part used car salesmen. If you’ve got pain, you’ve got a problem. If not, we’ll, maybe not.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
It already has root canal, but he saw something dark around the roots. Well unless I’m in pain, I won’t go digging for trouble. The root already has root canal. What more could be wrong. If I need implant later on, I’ll get implant.
And my husband has a small, tiny filling on the side of the front tooth and he said he will redo the filling so my husband won’t need a crown later on. Hello, he is 68, if he needs a crown later on, he’ll get a crown. All this preventive works irk me.
Couldn’t agree more.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
the bacteria that causes tooth decay gets destroyed by the bacteria that eventually causes periodontal issues later on .. this is why what you say is true . we get a lot more cavities when we are younger ...

i have all implants on the bottom as i had so many perio issues for decades ... but i still have rejection issues with the implants .. i just had 4 more put in last month . that is about 10 in the last 10 years.. as they seem to refine the implants the newer ones seem less prone to rejection .

Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
IMO the biggest obstacle for single payer will come from union members and govt workers who pay a pittance for their premiums who will then have to pay a significant portion of their salary in increased taxes to pay for single payer.

Most corporations would love to get the cost and responsibility of healthcare transferred to their workers. Even if it means increased taxes, it will probably be a wash for corporations by dumping their employer responsibility for premiums.
I'm a union member AND a government worker who pays almost $300 for myself and my children in monthly health insurance premiums through my employer. Hardly a pittance. Also, that's for the HMO option. I just about fell over when a coworker told me what he pays in premiums for himself, his wife, and his children under the PPO option.

Workers like us would welcome paying increased taxes for a national healthcare system. Every developed country in the world provides a national healthcare system for its citizens except the USA and South Africa.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:56 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
It already has root canal, but he saw something dark around the roots. Well unless I’m in pain, I won’t go digging for trouble. The root already has root canal. What more could be wrong. If I need implant later on, I’ll get implant.
And my husband has a small, tiny filling on the side of the front tooth and he said he will redo the filling so my husband won’t need a crown later on. Hello, he is 68, if he needs a crown later on, he’ll get a crown. All this preventive works irk me.
Even making the smallest scratch on the enamel, effectively grinding off a darkened area and applying composite, is about a $200 billable procedure for a single-surface filling. Of course the dentist wants to do that.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
We have a nice nest egg and I want to just say F-it when I turn 55 in 1.5 years but healthcare scares the hell out of me. There is no predicting what the healthcare issue is going to look like no matter who is in office. Anybody else in this boat or found a way to make it work? I’m so tired of the rat race and just want to be done with it, but.........healthcare.
Unless you. want to self pay a policy...your stuck.
Healthcare keeps the majority of the population immobile, stuck in a geography working a job with cherished benefits, hopefully until retirement, then Medicare kicks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement