Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:34 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I thought the same thing. I would imagine that happy and content would be the ultimate goal in life (in very general terms), whether it is from becoming uber successful intellectually or financially, or being a SAHM.
Nowhere did I mention "happiness." This thread is addressing psychological and emotional growth (or lack thereof) - nothing to do with "happiness." Not sure how that idea was introduced into the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
"Growth" is incredibly broad. How would you even determine that someone has no interest in it? Especially because the thread seems kinda focused on a view of self, and state of mind of self. That is all internal growth that you would see no evidence of. And we really only see "snapshots" of people, so knowing someone for say the last year, would give no indication how much they may have grown in the past decades.

I can give a personal example. I had a huge epiphany of who I was (20-ish time frame). I had always had "X" view, and thinking about it, I had to come to the uncomfortable conclusion that I was wrong, and I had been putting a positive spin on some things. It was like a body blow. I'm fine with it, I appreciate truth, or as close as I can come to it! BUT, no one knows I had this epiphany. Not for any reason, it just hasn't come up in the last couple weeks, and in a way, I am still coming to terms with it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Nowhere did I mention "happiness." This thread is addressing psychological and emotional growth (or lack thereof) - nothing to do with "happiness." Not sure how that idea was introduced into the conversation.
What is the goal to all of the self actualization and awareness? How do you measure success?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
"Growth" is incredibly broad. How would you even determine that someone has no interest in it? Especially because the thread seems kinda focused on a view of self, and state of mind of self. That is all internal growth that you would see no evidence of. And we really only see "snapshots" of people, so knowing someone for say the last year, would give no indication how much they may have grown in the past decades.
I'm just going on my own experiences and observations. I have known a lot of people who had no interest in self-development and I have been curious about it.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
What is the goal to all of the self actualization and awareness? How do you measure success?
There is no "goal," just self-realization and development to capacity.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There is no "goal," just self-realization and development to capacity.
Which brings up the equally interesting question of whether a person's capacity to "be the best human being they can be" continues to increase throughout their entire life .... or not.

Ideally you'd think that it should, assuming that the person continues to go forward instead of backward when it comes to how they deal with daily life and the myriad things that can and do happen. It's what my mother used to call "learning from your mistakes", LOL. But I'm not sure that's a given for everyone.

I sometimes wonder whether people who seem to never learn from their mistakes are actually that clueless (or "non-self-aware") or whether they can't bring themselves to ever admit that they were wrong -- whether to the rest of the world, or to themselves. Either or both, perhaps.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
It's simply a trajectory pointing towards capacity.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Self actualization is just narcissistic twaddle. Pull your head out of your ass and learn something useful.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Self actualization is just narcissistic twaddle. Pull your head out of your ass and learn something useful.
Oh yeah. Self-knowledge is nothing - produce something tangible. Talk about materialism.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:52 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I think most retirees have more personal choices and a greater level of free-will options than they did when they worked 40+ hours a week, were parenting, and facing considerable burdens of debt and schedules. In some ways our life shrinks, perhaps by choice, and in other ways it expands into new areas and interests. Self awareness (real or imagined) is part of the process of making choices. Our lives are a caravan of the choices we make and we carry baggage of these past choices that make up a part of our self awareness.

Personal development, for me, was an expansion of some of the interests that I had for years but didn't have time or the freedom to pursue. I live alone (a widower) and probably have more freedom and independence than some others and feel free to do more spontaneous things. My retired friends of my age (+/-) seem to be on a similar track. Our interests are very broad ranging from mountain biking, volunteering, writing, photography, fishing trips, crafting, rock concert trips, gardening, target shooting, and travel. Those things add to our self awareness and change the ways we define ourselves. (We used to be defined by our work)

Last edited by SunGrins; 06-15-2019 at 02:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement