Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times

Advertisements

Well, I hope we all feel so much superior to homeless people now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 03:21 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Vincent: What'cha mean, "walk the earth"? Jules: You know, like Caine in Kung Fu, walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures. Vincent: And how long do you intend to walk the earth? Jules: Until God puts me where he wants me to be. Vincent: And what if he don't do that?Jules: If it takes forever, then I'll walk forever. Vincent: So you decided to be a bum? Jules: I'll just be Jules, Vincent – no more, no less.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:34 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
I think it's absurd. And he's not retired, he still works. What about health insurance? A month in the hospital can knock out his $400K nest egg without insurance. What about a car and doctor and dentist visits? What's the point of living in abject poverty? Isn't it easier to work?

Before I retired I tracked all my monthly and annual expenses on a spreadsheet for a couple of years. I pretty much knew what the bare minimum was to cover our expenses in terms of an annual income. When I hit that number I retired at 59. After a year of boredom I went back to work from 60 to 62 and had the additional income of SS. I haven't had any issues. We live in a nice house, drive a nice leased car, eat well, enjoy cable TV and the internet, and central AC and heat. We can afford to give each other and our kids and grandkids modest presents on birthdays and Christmas. We can eat at a restaurant with family or friends once in a while. Unexpected expenses don't stress us out.

Living like the homeless guy in the picture isn't a choice, it's a necessity for him. Abject poverty isn't freedom, it's an economic prison. When I was out of school and hadn't yet gotten established with a good job yet I lived poor, didn't have enough to eat, lived in a tiny apartment, had no car or TV, no money to go out or date girls. Nothing free about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
Financial Samurai is a highly respected money blog written by "Sam" who worked his tail off (still does) and retired early. He's always been totally transparent about his assets, mistakes, etc in achieving his goal. I think he gives fairly good advice for young people.

I'm not yet retired but it's coming-----Next Year!

Those who are retired----active investors, pensioners, those just on SS Please share your thoughts about this latest post of Sam's.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/the...IB_9LWnoPkClt0

Last edited by bobspez; 07-11-2019 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
Financial Samurai is a highly respected money blog written by "Sam" who worked his tail off (still does) and retired early. He's always been totally transparent about his assets, mistakes, etc in achieving his goal. I think he gives fairly good advice for young people.

I'm not yet retired but it's coming-----Next Year!

Those who are retired----active investors, pensioners, those just on SS Please share your thoughts about this latest post of Sam's.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/the...IB_9LWnoPkClt0
Im young and have enough to retire poor but wouldnt want to.I dont want to live in abject poverty.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I, for one, haven't got the guts to live like that. But I think I understand (at least somewhat) why people do live like that.

Not everyone has the same mindset. Some need that job, that nice salary, drive that nice car, etc.

But there are some who do not see the point in that.

While you look at these people as "prisoners", they probably think you are a prisoner, too.

I always liked what Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"

And let people be who they are without judgment.

Who among us is perfect?

Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
This guy did. He retired early. Gets free food, free medical. Lives at the Rescue Mission Estates. Has plenty of friends. Gets in his daily cardio by collecting aluminum cans so as to afford cocktail hour. Nice weather in Southern California. No stress. No phones. No nagging wife. No bills. No worries. The Good Life.
Until he gets jock itch and can't afford a can of Cruex. Or, God Forbid, a toothache. I'd rather have a little more stress in my life and be able to go to an oral hygienist four times a year.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 PM

150 posts, read 110,237 times
So I need 1.2m in retirement funds in order to live in abject poverty? Saving that amount of money in the next 10 years ain’t happening for me. So I guess I’ll have to settle for probably a much better life living off Govt sponsored programs for the poor.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Well, I hope we all feel so much superior to homeless people now.

Oh, I do, I do.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
^And he can afford to dress nattily, too. Love the tie!

Truly an inspiration to us all. If only I could go back in time and retire early.
Funny he dresses better than everyone else around him who may have a job. I would hire him.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
It's silly...most people have something besides investments...like SS. And why he throws in all the family sizes I have no idea. Few retired "families" are of more than 2 people...and then they'd likely have two SS's even if one is small. The logic is very shaky...I'm not buyin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement