Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I never would have suspected that you had such a terrible life overall, although I did know about the WTC. You are a true inspiration!!
I was shocked too, MQ always has such a positive outlook and so even tempered.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 04:25 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering how elders on this forum are *feeling* . . .

After a lifetime of experiences, what is your current state of happiness and mental wellness? pretty much the same as it has always been. I'm sort of like those old Buick Dynaflos that I did not like to drive because they never shifted

Are you a good coper? Yes

Have you always been resilient?Yes

Maybe you have had an easy life with few traumas.not really

Maybe you have been through the wringer.not really but enough to keep me alert, focused and be thankful for what I have ----- and was privileged to have and lost.

How are you doing now after all of it? I can still walk and chew gum at the same time. I still have my horses and do all the barn work. I now play solitaire on-line instead of with a deck of cards and it sort of tisses me off that I can't "accidentally" cheat

Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Thank you to all. Mrs5150 and I are doing as expected. We have had a lot of support from our small town community. One example is the mortuary we hired donated their services

Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I'm not sure if I qualify as an elder, being "only" 60. LOL. I had a pretty crappy childhood and was on my own before I was even out of high school. I've lost both parents and a sister. I've been a caretaker to my own mom, and then my husband's, but I guess I must be the resilient type. I am happy, content with what I have, and am living a very nice retirement. I guess my mental state is pretty darn good.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Life is very good and I’m always happy. I guess I’m somewhat resilient, but have been particularly blessed my whole life, now that I look back my 60 year span.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:21 PM

240 posts, read 267,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you asked me this question prior to July 2, I would have said life is good. But our 8 year old grand daughter died in her sleep on July 2. So I’m not doing so well

That is my mental state
I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:51 PM

696 posts, read 703,619 times
Quote:
If you asked me this question prior to July 2, I would have said life is good. But our 8 year old grand daughter died in her sleep on July 2. So I’m not doing so well

That is my mental state
I’m so, so sorry.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Quote:

That is my mental state
Hi Mr5150 --

I am so sorry to hear the news about your grand daughter. Just want to extend my sympathies to you and your wife, and to her parents and siblings (if there are any).

I enjoy reading your posts, usually. Not this one. A friend of our daughter, who lost a child, has found the online support group Compassionate Friends to be helpful.

Again, I am so sorry.

-- Hollyhock

Old 07-19-2019, 10:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering how elders on this forum are *feeling* . . .

After a lifetime of experiences, what is your current state of happiness and mental wellness?
Content but puzzled
Are you a good coper? Have you always been resilient?
Yes, I have always been a pretty good coper
Maybe you have had an easy life with few traumas.
That would depend -- I think I am about in the middle but some might say it has been rougher than their life
Maybe you have been through the wringer.
Same thoughts as above answer, but I know I had a very stable childhood compared to some others
How are you doing now after all of it?

A little nervous. The thing about my life that puzzles me the most is how my Hubby picked up Alzheimer's Disease so young (diagnosed at 64) when it was not in his family and he was physically fit. It baffles both of us, but we blame it on taking statin drugs and sleep apnea. You just never know.....

Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I never would have suspected that you had such a terrible life overall, although I did know about the WTC. You are a true inspiration!!
I really don't feel as if it was all that terrible, but when I write it all out, it sounds pretty bad, doesn't it?

The balance is that I had friends and family along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement