Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 04:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

Just heard on the news that our TV cable and internet services will be increased in cost (again!).

As the newscaster was saying, thousands of customers have dropped this company as the cost is too much for a lot of us and when the cost goes up, I think there will be many more people who drop cable.

I don't understand how they can increase the cost when so many customers have dropped them.

A few years back I heard a pretty good deal for their internet and I jumped on it. I felt very glad that I could get it. But apparently internet only customers (me) will see an increase, too.

I'm pretty sure someone out there can explain how they can increase prices when they are losing customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 04:22 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
The cable companies are like the utilities. They have lots of costs based on how many subscribers they have ...just imagine an area that is growing to fast . Once you exceed the infrastructure it takes millions of dollars to increase electricity generation, sewage , schools , hospitals, etc .

So it can be far more profitable having less customers paying higher prices because you want to stay under your capacity ..... it is almost like these cable companies want to lose you

Old 10-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Cable companies seems to do quite well by 'changing plans' often.

USA Customers are very gullible and forgetful, and US regulators love their 'cut' / gravy jobs.

No TV needed in my home since 1968. I was quite surprised to discover from a friend that cable channels had commercials!!! So subscribers have to PAY to get blasted with commercials!

No Thanks

I have no need for that frustration or expense.

Been OK for 51 yrs, hopefully not that many yrs ahead!

made it over 1/2 way...

Old 10-01-2019, 05:03 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Thank you for the information, mathjak107 and StealthRabbit.

I use an indoor antenna for my TV. Gives me enough entertainment.

I got a "deal" on my internet but it sounds like that will not be such a deal anymore. But I do not want to lose my internet. It's a means of staying in touch with people and looking things up that I am interested in.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I got a "deal" on my internet but it sounds like that will not be such a deal anymore. But I do not want to lose my internet. It's a means of staying in touch with people and looking things up that I am interested in.
Internet connection is now where the money is at with people streaming and dropping cable.

My internet with Spectrum is now up to about $60 a month where it used to be $35-40. They will almost give you the TV if you get the Internet.

But it's such a gimmick, they can jack you up to $150 a month easy for cable, Internet, equipment, fees and taxes.

Its a scam. Cheap the 1st year then the prices go up.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:40 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
This is exactly what they want ...they count on a certain number of subscribers going to competitors after the teaser rate ....they also know once their teaser rate is up you will be back for their teaser rate ..they know many will stay and pay the higher price ...this is their business model , they need this to keep from having to spend to much accommodating more customers ........we found both spectrum and fios will not deal with you at all to try and keep you.....

Old 10-01-2019, 06:03 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
No TV here. I get internet from the landlords' connection. It is supposed to be fantastic - Fiber. I think it stinks. Same company services the library where I also get wifi. Sometimes both of them are out. Landlord has not moved in yet, if things don't improve when he moves in (he is the only one who can complain since it is his account) I am going to the alternative telephone company and getting a wired connection.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"I'm pretty sure someone out there can explain how they can increase prices when they are losing customers."

the retained customers pay the divided costs of those that remain.
which means that the few that stay, pay.
bigger $lice$ of the $ame pie.

we "saw the light" when TWC went to Spectrum.
TWC: $55/month. Spectrum: $133.
same service.cut the cord that week.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:41 PM

128 posts, read 113,636 times
In 2014 Charter wanted to up my internet and cable to $195 a month (this was with some movie channels). It had been at $145-$150 for a year I believe. I cancelled the TV. When I dropped my cable box off the lady at the counter couldn't believe it. She asked several times what I was going to do for TV.

I don't miss TV at all...I loathe commercials of any type. I'll never go back...ever.

Charter was persistent and I eventually caved in 2016 I believe...and got their $20 streaming service...had a few good channels. Came with a free ROKU box. I had it a month..got the first bill... $32....$12 for taxes and such. Screw that. Unbelievable...over a 50% tax. Cancelled immediately.

I own 1500 movies and shows on VUDU and use Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Thats more than enough to keep me going. Get all my news on the internet (with heavy ad blockers).

Charter did raise their internet $5 a month to $65 a year ago...but they doubled my speed, which was nice. I can't complain for the most part.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:02 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
For many people it is like an addiction. That helps, I suppose. At the least it becomes a comfortable habit that some people are reluctant to let go.

I think we, in our home, are totally overloaded with information/entertainment options. Can't possibly use all the services we are paying for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement