Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, information to definitely pass forward. I will admit that some of these I haven't heard of.
Jeez, louise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I never answer the phone anymore. I don't care what phone number shows up, I wait for a message. Then I call back.
Same here, seems like 99% of all calls I get are scam calls, if it's someone who wants to get in contact with me, they can leave a message.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:42 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
I got one of those too. It actually said Social Security on the caller ID and we had been dealing with SS so I picked it up when it rang. But once he started his spiel about how my SS number was compromised and I was going to jail for some reason or other I knew it was a scam. I just told him very innocently that I was an NYPD detective and because there were so many scams that I wanted a call back number from him to verify.. Then he asked me what a detective is.

Once I mentioned the word police.. we lost the connection for some reason.. Lol

Sometimes, they're just no fun to play with..

Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
same here....I have a policy in place--if I do not recognize the phone number I do not answer; if they do not leave a voice mail message I am 97%+ certain it is some type of sales pitch or scam.

Ditto for Facebook--I'm no longer accepting any new "friends"....if that costs me the title of Mr. Congeniality, so be it....also, I do not click on links from existing Facebook friends whom I have not heard from in 3+ years.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
It happens 4-8 times a week at our house. Just hang up. SS doesn't call, they write letters.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Now I'm wondering if anyone has 867-5309 as their real telephone number?
Only for a good time......

Old 11-18-2019, 01:02 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Now I'm wondering if anyone has 867-5309 as their real telephone number?
Sure! Jenny does.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
This is definitely worth a watch and it shows some good questioning when one of these fraudsters (most likely based overseas) called the police and they returned the call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsq0IYrOsrk

Old 11-18-2019, 01:26 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hello All,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I got a fraudulent call from some scammers about an hour ago. what makes this scary is that I told him I needed confirmation that this was indeed the ssa because my understanding was that government agencies do not call you.

Anyway he took me through some very convincing steps to supposedly convince me. wow, I can see how someone would be fooled.

Anyhoo, he told me that my social security number had been involved in a investigation involving money Laundering connected with a cocaine bust in New mexico and it was now "suspended".

I basically told him I still did not trust the phone call, told him again that it was my understanding that no federal government agency will call you, I asked him to hold on because I was going to record it. as soon as I said that the line went dead.

Anyway I will say it was scary because the phone number showed on my caller I.D. as coming from the SSA office in Maryland and he sent out an email with a link to the ssa page.

Scammers are getting high tech guys, just be on your toes.
Yes, they are. If anyone calls you be it social security, medicare, your bank or whatever, tell them you can't hear them that well and you will call them back at the number on the back of your card. If you feel it might be true, do call the number on your card and not any number they give you.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:30 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Actually SSA will call people under certain circumstances.

https://oig.ssa.gov/scams-involving-...n-ssa-employee

It is possible that an SSA employee may contact you to follow-up on a previous application for SSA/Medicare Part D benefits or to follow-up on other business you initiated with SSA.
But generally you make a "phone appointment" with the SSA for a specific date and time for them to call you back. And they will call you back at that date and time. Both my husband and I set up phone appointments to get set up for SS and Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement