Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbro54 View Post
When I recently applied to start receiving SS the application process said I may be contacted by phone for further information. So it is possible they may contact you by phone.
That's true, but the difference is you knew to expect a call regarding your application. As opposed to an UNexpected call wanting information that SS already has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 12:10 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
Worst kind of scum....

Old 11-19-2019, 04:10 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hello All,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I got a fraudulent call from some scammers about an hour ago. what makes this scary is that I told him I needed confirmation that this was indeed the ssa because my understanding was that government agencies do not call you.

Anyway he took me through some very convincing steps to supposedly convince me. wow, I can see how someone would be fooled.

Anyhoo, he told me that my social security number had been involved in a investigation involving money Laundering connected with a cocaine bust in New mexico and it was now "suspended".

I basically told him I still did not trust the phone call, told him again that it was my understanding that no federal government agency will call you, I asked him to hold on because I was going to record it. as soon as I said that the line went dead.

Anyway I will say it was scary because the phone number showed on my caller I.D. as coming from the SSA office in Maryland and he sent out an email with a link to the ssa page.

Scammers are getting high tech guys, just be on your toes.
Have some fun with them! I get the IRS scammers too. All Filipino accents. Waste as much time as possible to tie up their phone. Then I may ask some questions about their daughter.............click.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:20 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
My phone is on mute so the only time it rings is when its someone on my contact list. That way if I see missed calls, I can google the number if I feel like it, or just delete it. If a banking institution leaves a message for me to call back, I google the bank and call them back directly, or check my account. Scammers are getting slick, I dont want to be caught unawares. So I just never answer.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:27 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,226 times
Same here. Contacts only, and google numbers that show up. Hate phones anyway.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Same here. Contacts only, and google numbers that show up. Hate phones anyway.
lol, I'm starting to get there.

What threw me on this one is that the number popped up as the SSA not as some random number. I think injecting doubt is one way scammers worm their way in.

The first thing I thought when I picked up was someone had gotten hold of my late hubby ss# and was trying to apply for benefits.

I admit it took me a minute to remember that the ssa never calls.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hello All,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I got a fraudulent call from some scammers about an hour ago. what makes this scary is that I told him I needed confirmation that this was indeed the ssa because my understanding was that government agencies do not call you.

Anyway he took me through some very convincing steps to supposedly convince me. wow, I can see how someone would be fooled.

Anyhoo, he told me that my social security number had been involved in a investigation involving money Laundering connected with a cocaine bust in New mexico and it was now "suspended".

I basically told him I still did not trust the phone call, told him again that it was my understanding that no federal government agency will call you, I asked him to hold on because I was going to record it. as soon as I said that the line went dead.

Anyway I will say it was scary because the phone number showed on my caller I.D. as coming from the SSA office in Maryland and he sent out an email with a link to the ssa page.

Scammers are getting high tech guys, just be on your toes.
The first indication that something was wrong, was that the government would take any initiative at all to help you. Good that you posted it on here, it may prevent problems for someone else.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 AM

54 posts, read 46,246 times
When I receive the IRS call, I respond with "What does the Indian Revenue Service want with me" I don't understand??????

Old 11-19-2019, 08:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Just as an FYI, I got a call about a year ago on a Sunday night about 9:30 pm from a guy who said he was from XYZ bank where I did my banking. He said there had been some suspicious activity on my online account with the bank and wanted to ask me a couple of questions.

Naturally, I figured that this was a scam of some kind, so I told him in rather colorful language (which I can't post here) what he could do with his questions and where he could go.

Well, lo and behold, a few days later I made an online purchase of shares of a mutual fund that I have dealt with for years and the bank blocked my transaction. DAMM, I was pi$$ed when I found out. I got on the phone and called the bank to find out what was going on.

As it turns out, the guy who called me at 9:30 on a Sunday evening really was from the XYZ bank and the call really was legit. Since I was uncooperative with him, they DID put a freeze on my account and I couldn't even draw my own money from the account until I went into one of their offices and presented identification and got the situation straightened out.

Apparently the problem stemmed from me doing several similar transactions of withdrawing money from my HELOC account and depositing the money in my checking account, then using the checking account to fund mutual fund purchases. I guess they thought this might be someone illegally accessing my accounts and they wanted proof that it was really me. Since I told the Sunday night caller to take a hike (in rather colorful language), they just froze all my accounts with the bank.

Moral of the story: Sometimes it really is the bank calling you on a Sunday night to inquire about your transactions.
Yes, I've gotten that call too. But they won't ask you for your SSN or your PIN or even your account number. They will give you the last 4 digits of the account they're asking about, and ask if you made a certain transaction. That's all.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:24 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Scam calls like this are such fun. I come down with a case of dementia and start calling them Loretta, even if it's a man on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement