Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the "tech support" and "refund" scams as well. It bears repeating, NEVER let anyone connect to your computer, and especially not your bank account. If you get a popup saying your computer is blocked or other scary message, just shut it down. Even if the message says not to.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,941,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If the scammers want my Social Security Number, they are welcome to it. In fact, I'll just post it here! It's 123-45-6789.
That sequence actually is, or was, someone's legitimate SSN. I believe the SSA provided them with a new SSN eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If the scammers want my Social Security Number, they are welcome to it. In fact, I'll just post it here! It's 123-45-6789.
Bada Bing!
There is a scam because this is my number

Old 11-18-2019, 09:08 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Those emails usually contain phony links. Look at the URL of that link.

Don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize.
Be wary of emails with links...always check the underlying URL.

With my email I just have to move the mouse over the link and it shows the URL in a popup.

And some companies/government agencies want you to forward these phishing emails to them.

Here's the link to report an SS phone scam. And you should report it so they can take action and improve their services.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ipff/home

Old 11-18-2019, 09:13 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Don't forget the "tech support" and "refund" scams as well. It bears repeating, NEVER let anyone connect to your computer, and especially not your bank account. If you get a popup saying your computer is blocked or other scary message, just shut it down. Even if the message says not to.
Yes I got about 10 calls in one day from Apple recently . I laughed about it with my husband.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:14 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
That sequence actually is, or was, someone's legitimate SSN. I believe the SSA provided them with a new SSN eventually.
I admit I was wondering if that incredibly obvious sequence had ever been used as a real SS number. That poor person must have been living a real nightmare before the SSA gave them a new number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I once had that happen on my work computer - not only did did I get a "your computer is infected!" popup, but the computer started making a "BLAAAT" sound and the CD tray opened on its own. I just did a hard reboot and the problem was solved. But that would have scared the crap out of lot of people, for good reason!

Can we bring back hanging, drawing, and quartering for scammers? Please?

Last edited by Aredhel; 11-18-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 09:42 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
The "don't answer a call from someone you don't know", doesn't always work.

I got a call from my OH s number, and my OH was sitting literally on the same loveseat as I was. Nope NOT from my OH.

I also got a call from my very own phone number!!!

It was a scan, called "spoofing" number s to make number appear they are from your call list...so you'll answer them.

My own number, I said"what the heck" and answered it..."you have been such a good customer we can reduce the interest on all your credit cards. Press one to talk to a live person standing by now...", So I pressed one, let him ( with Indian accent) go through his selling point and begin asking for my cc numbers.
I told him " well since you callede from my very own number, you should know my cc numbers too"...._click_

I like to play their game, too...

Old 11-18-2019, 09:46 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The "don't answer a call from someone you don't know", doesn't always work.

I got a call from my OH s number, and my OH was sitting literally on the same loveseat as I was. Nope NOT from my OH.

I also got a call from my very own phone number!!!

It was a scan, called "spoofing" number s to make number appear they are from your call list...so you'll answer them.

My own number, I said"what the heck" and answered it..."you have been such a good customer we can reduce the interest on all your credit cards. Press one to talk to a live person standing by now...", So I pressed one, let him ( with Indian accent) go through his selling point and begin asking for my cc numbers.
I told him " well since you callede from my very own number, you should know my cc numbers too"...._click_

I like to play their game, too...

A lot of times when you answer these calls that just confirms to them that they got a "live" number.
Then they turn around and compile a list of "verified phone numbers" and sell that list.
Same goes with email if you click on links.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Hasn't SSA made it CLEAR, like other government agencies, that they NEVER contact people by phone!!?????!!!!??

I mean, really.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
answering the phone scores points on the marketing lists .

but if they can get you to act , like press 1 to opt out , which really does nothing , that gets even more points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement