Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 03:25 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,595,678 times

Advertisements

Sort of. Around where I live. Usually it was men who would see me walking and offer a ride. Surprisingly, 99.9% were not creepy. !

I was saving money on ubers by walking and accepting rides. Sometimes I'd pay the random people instead of Ubers. One homeless man lived in his car and needed a radiator. I used him as an uber until he had the money for a radiator. Pretty cool!

I felt really good about that, but he got greedy. He thinks I am rich and wants more money so I fired him as my driver.

There is a racial component here. A white man pulling over and offering me a ride is 99% chance to want something and go so far as to try and take it. Black men it's the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 08:04 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
I never hitchhiked but sometimes I picked up guys from my high school who were hitchhiking. It was never long distance.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,951,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
yes a million years ago
Yep, in the 60's it is how we got around. Very common and accepted.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:17 PM

905 posts, read 669,722 times
Growing up in Chicago during the early 70s we did all the time. Never alone. I was at an all girl high school and we were tired of waiting for public transportation so we would hitch. Sometimes it was late and we couldn't' use our our student discount. Another time we wanted to visit a friend in the hospital and there was no bus line going there so we hitched.
My brother in law in the 70s hitched from Wisconsin to Canada. He thought it was a great adventure.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
I hitched during the Johnson administration. It was fun, and money was free. I did the west coast one summer starting with $20 in my pocket. Three months later I came back with $20 in my pocket and a very nice 35mm camera. You could shower and do your laundry at a truck stop for $2 and make $10 washing a truck while your clothes were in the dryer.

I did a little more hitching in Nixon's first term, and things were not as friendly.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:22 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
No, I never hitched, never needed to. I had a bicycle, didn't think anything of going 10 miles with it if needed. Bike got stolen, I got a moped for working the summer at my dads gas station. I rode the moped 10 miles to work and back every day, even after school. At 17 I had a car then a motorcycle. Never picked up anyone I didn't know; I was smarter then that due to working at the gas station and some of the freaks that came in. You didn't see many girls pumping gas in the late 70's to 90's. It's a miracle nothing happened to me. At one time I had a secret admirer who sent me a dozen roses and balloons. No clue who it was.

Those of you that hitched are lucky nothing happened to you. There are hundreds if not thousands of John and Jane Does that were probably killed hitching. Also look at Gerard Schaefer the serial killer in Florida, he killed my friends 13 year old sister in the early 70's and many more girls.

In California there's Kerry Graham and Francine Trimble who were unidentified for 30+ years, had most likely tried to hitch a ride to the mall. They were always hitching everywhere.

Tammy Jo Alexander who spent 35+ years as Caledonia NY Jane Doe. She hitched everywhere.

Buckskin Girl identified as Marcia King also hitched everywhere

There was also a guy and his girl friend that people saw hitching. They were picked up by the wrong person, both are dead. They were another case of 30+ years as Does, were finally ID'd a few years ago.

James “Jimmy” Hendricks and Kimberlin “Kim” Mills

Quote:
Pemiscot County, MO John Doe & Blytheville, Arkansas Jane Doe - A young couple were seen together at a truck stop type restaurant called Scotty's in Blytheville, Arkansas. There was nothing unusual about the young couple. The girl was carrying a backpack and bedding. This indicates the couple were living life on the road. There bodies were found on June 17, 1978. There bodies were both found along I-55.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-18-2020 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 AM

8,361 posts, read 6,454,154 times
I haven't seen anyone hitchhiking in years

Old 03-20-2020, 06:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,087,805 times
RALPH NADER, Presidential candidate and consumer advocate, regularly hitchhiked from his parents' house in Winstead, CT to (work or school?) in Hartford. In 1964, as a young attorney, he hitchhiked from CT to Washington DC carrying one suitcase, found at room at the YMCA, and began working for the Assistant Secretary of Labor, Daniel P. Moynihan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement