Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:44 PM

219 posts, read 163,815 times

Advertisements

I expected the doctor to talk to us, rather than the receptionist, during our appointment with him. And I certainly didn't expect to get a letter requesting we come back because he couldn't bother to talk to us during the time that was scheduled. I don't expect them to remember my name. I do expect them to show up for the appointment and not BS with the other staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:49 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You understand sometime meds have different side effects to different people... How is that his fault?
This was a new medication and there was no mention of any possible bad side effects! I didn't have any reaction to Tylenol 3 which he previously prescribed so I guess I trusted him (stupidly).

I mentioned what happened to me to a co-worker. His in-laws owned a pharmacy and he would sometimes help them out. He said, "They didn't warn you about the heart palpitations?" I said, "no way." Then he asked, "Did the prescription have a rebate card attached to it?" I said, "YES." He said the doctor makes money every time the prescription gets filled. So that explained the "new med."

The ER doctor also told me that particular drug is very bad. He said it was pulled from the shelves years ago
because people were having problems with it and remanufactured under a new name....If I knew this ahead of time, I never would have taken it in the first place. And it shouldn't have been prescribed to me. Jack-hole doctor.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Just FYI: I can't remember where I learned this -- maybe Becker's, maybe Stat News -- I'm sorry I can't remember -- anyway, old women who are fat are the least likely to get the treatment that they need. Were you ready for that one?

I have become fat in my age of 71.

So my new GP is about 45, in my Medicare Advantage Plan, and is supposed to be one of the best Internists in my state.

When I saw him, I had the results from blood tests taken about a year prior. I had low Vit D and while Vit D is not the miracle vitamin it was once touted to be, it is still very important that our blood test for Vit D is at a normal level.

He said to me: "I have plenty of patients with lower Vit D than you." (Really? So what?) Then he said, as he looked me up and down: "When people start to fall apart in their 70's, it's primarily because of an unhealthy lifestyle."

He refused to order all the annual blood tests that Medicare allows once every year.

As I left the room, I said to him, "Thank you for practicing good medical insurance and not good medical care."

I haven't been back since. And I can't go to just any doctor. I have to be assigned one by my Med Adv Plan.

My suggestion is to to try female doctors whenever possible. At 72 and a little overweight, I find my lady drs. just great!

Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
This was a new medication and there was no mention of any possible bad side effects! I didn't have any reaction to Tylenol 3 which he previously prescribed so I guess I trusted him (stupidly).

I mentioned what happened to me to a co-worker. His in-laws owned a pharmacy and he would sometimes help them out. He said, "They didn't warn you about the heart palpitations?" I said, "no way." Then he asked, "Did the prescription have a rebate card attached to it?" I said, "YES." He said the doctor makes money every time the prescription gets filled. So that explained the "new med."

The ER doctor also told me that particular drug is very bad. He said it was pulled from the shelves years ago
because people were having problems with it and remanufactured under a new name....If I knew this ahead of time, I never would have taken it in the first place. And it shouldn't have been prescribed to me. Jack-hole doctor.
Every prescription medication I receive has a patient information flyer dispensed with it, even drugs I have taken for years, that lists side effects.

Your "co-worker" is wrong. Doctors do not get paid every time a prescription gets filled, rebate or not.

If the drug was "pulled from the shelves" just changing the name would not allow it to be dispensed again.
The "holes" are in your story.

Is there a reason you do not want to tell us the name of "that particular drug"?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:17 PM

Another comment about side-effects. My late mother had very bad rheumatoid arthritis. One doctor suggested Gold Shots.
He started rattling off the numerous side effects; vomiting, nausea, vertigo, nose bleeds........the list went on and sounded awful. She opted not to do them.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't have to like them, I'm not there to socialize. As long as they give me decent medical care, that's all I care about. Be rude, inconsiderate, I don't care, just write me my prescriptions and I'm outta here, doc.
Absolutely!!! Most people do not have a clue how to pick a doctor or evaluate their competence. In the past decade or so, doctors have gotten much better at dealing with patients and have dropped the god-like behavior. Even so picking and keeping a doctor is about care not how well they socialize.

I have only had one doctor who was absolutely horrible dealing with patients. He was an excellent, excellent surgeon and saved the vision in my right eye.

Anyway it is definitely worthwhile learning how to pick good doctors. If you are relatively healthy then of course it might not matter. If you have complex medical issues it can make all the difference.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Every prescription medication I receive has a patient information flyer dispensed with it, even drugs I have taken for years, that lists side effects.

Your "co-worker" is wrong. Doctors do not get paid every time a prescription gets filled, rebate or not.

If the drug was "pulled from the shelves" just changing the name would not allow it to be dispensed again.

Is there a reason you do not want to tell us the name of "that particular drug"?

There are no holes in my story. The drug is called NUCYNTA.

Some drugs can have mild side-effects (upset stomach, drowsiness, diarrhea), that doesn't usually send a person to the ER for pete's sake. Any SERIOUS side-effects should be discussed beforehand. The ER doctor started talking about the drug and its problems right away which surprised me as I never heard of it before.

I guess there is no connection to pharmaceutical companies wanting doctors to plug or prescribe their products?

What is the rebate card for? Me?

When the ER doctor spoke to the ENT, explaining my symptoms, the ENT said, "Oh it must be an anxiety attack. She was probably nervous about the operation." The ER doctor told him -" it's a bad reaction to the medication!!"

*Wow. We're all wrong here; me, co-worker, ER doctor. :hand: I thought it would be fun to make up a story
tonight.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 PM

2,902 posts, read 2,146,933 times
Quote:

this one was just too much.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:

+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
There are no holes in my story. The drug is called NUCYNTA.

Some drugs can have mild side-effects (upset stomach, drowsiness, diarrhea), that doesn't usually send a person to the ER for pete's sake. Any SERIOUS side-effects should be discussed beforehand. The ER doctor started talking about the drug and its problems right away which surprised me as I never heard of it before.

I guess there is no connection to pharmaceutical companies wanting doctors to plug or prescribe their products?

What is the rebate card for? Me?

When the ER doctor spoke to the ENT, explaining my symptoms, the ENT said, "Oh it must be an anxiety attack. She was probably nervous about the operation." The ER doctor told him -" it's a bad reaction to the medication!!"

*Wow. We're all wrong here; me, co-worker, ER doctor. :hand: I thought it would be fun to make up a story
tonight.
Then you are not a candidate for ANY pain meds because they ALL can cause issues.

And ER docs do not correct other docs especially within ear shot of the patient.

Heart palpations are sometimes caused by anxiety...thats why he probably said that. I think you're expecting way too much. JMO.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

Then you are not a candidate for ANY pain meds because they ALL can cause issues.

And ER docs do not correct other docs especially within ear shot of the patient.

Heart palpations are sometimes caused by anxiety...thats why he probably said that. I think you're expecting way too much. JMO.

Seriously? I can't tolerate any pain meds? - I've been on Tylenol 3 with Codeine - no issues. They also gave me morphine in the recovery room after surgeries and that made me feel a little giddy but it helped with the pain. I can also handle novocaine at the dentist.

I'm sure we all know our bodies by now. 15 minutes after I took one tablet of Nucynta (75 mg), I was trying to sleep when my heart started to pound. I sat up and thought, "what's going on?" It got worse and would not stop- and my mind was also racing a mile a minute - I was worried I was going to pass out. Since I was alone, I called 911. As far as warnings, it did have the orange label on it about avoiding alcohol which I certainly did.

It was no anxiety attack - and why on earth would I have one after the fact!!! That's like a woman having a
labor pain after the baby is out.

The ER doctor disagreed with him and told him my symptoms - elevated heart rate, high bp (which I don't normally have). If other people can tolerate this particular drug without any problems, that's great. It
was horrible for me and a very scary experience. And like I mentioned before, I reported it to the FDA. They
sent me a letter back "thanking me."

I guess I was expecting too much in hoping for a drama-free recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement