Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 09:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times

Advertisements

Competence and some amount of people skills are good criteria for picking a doctor. However, when I am wearing a paper gown, flat on my back, with my legs up in the air in stirrups, I don't really feel like chit-chat.

Most of my doctors quit medicine when the Medicare reimbursement rates went down and the government paperwork increased.

I still haven't found replacements for all my doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 09:57 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Some of the best medical care I have received came from my old GYN, prior to moving. My HMO had a provision that you must have a primary care doctor, but if you liked your GYN, they could serve as your primary care also. I had a very kind, honest, and direct GYN, sort of Marcus Welby-like, and he offered to be my primary care so that I wouldn't have to have my records sent back and forth all the time. He was excellent! My first time ever male GYN, and he really listened to me and took what I said very seriously. He found the cause of a persistent problem that my primary care doc had written off as "just menopause", it wasn't. He was happy to schedule me with an hour long appt with an endocrinologist when I said that I used to have an annual appt for my thyroid disease under my old insurance, and that I felt my disease was poorly medicated by my primary care. I've never had a doctor's undivided attention for an hour ever, unless it was under anesthetic in surgery! We got that issue squared away. I wish all docs were like him.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
Take vitamin D3 supplements! don't ask for permission, just do it! It protects your immune system and lungs. You should take at least 2000IU of it a day. That's not a large enough dose to worry about. There are some good You Tube videos by Dr. John Campbell on why vitamin D is so critical.
John Campbell of YouTube fame is not a doctor. He's a nurse and a teacher.

He is also fundamentally wrong about many things. I think people watch him because of the British Accent Fallacy, which says that any string of nonsense words is automatically taken as gospel by some people because the speaker has an authoritative British accent.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:31 PM

219 posts, read 163,521 times
And he's quoting medical studies backing it up. Do you disapprove of medical studies if the info is given to you by a nurse?

Old 06-20-2020, 03:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
And he's quoting medical studies backing it up. Do you disapprove of medical studies if the info is given to you by a nurse?

Haven't you heard? Medical studies are just Fake News now.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Doctors do not get paid by drug companies to write prescriptions. If there is a rebate, you get the rebate, if you apply for it. The doctor does not get a penny.

Side effects would be described in the patient information given to you by the pharmacist. Did you read it? In fact, the symptoms you describe do not even seem to be common with the drug.

https://www.drugs.com/cons/nucynta.h...rom%20diabetes.

I can find no evidence that the medication was ever taken off the market and returned under a different name. The development history is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapentadol

This did happen in 2011. Did you mention the flyers with drug information? Yes, I get those now. Back
then, I don't think so. Two minutes before entering the O.R. the doctor handed me the prescription and
said, "this is a new pain medication." (Along with a prescription for Cipro (antibiotic) and ear drops). I
had no time to do any research as I gave the prescriptions to my sister who was with me and then followed
the doctor in his scrubs into the O.R. After surgery, you feel groggy and are in discomfort. Once home,
you feel like getting some relief and sleeping. So researching isn't exactly on your mind then either. I
do remember the orange warning label about avoiding alcohol (which I did). I took one tablet as prescribed
and the rest is history.

I fall into the unfortunate category of having an awful experience with this drug. Others did too. WebMD
isn't the only site I left a review with (the surgery was in July, I left two online reviews in August). As well as
reporting it to the FDA. What else is a person to do?? Except avoid this drug like the plague.

It sounds like you have a level of confidence with Nucynta. The next time you are in pain, well - be my guest! But don't say YOU weren't warned.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My suggestion is to to try female doctors whenever possible. At 72 and a little overweight, I find my lady drs. just great!
I always try to see female docs. I have much better visits, in general.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:41 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Our current primary care is a female, and she is excellent, but I don't know that gender is a determining factor. She does very complete blood tests every year and discovered a condition my husband had through the blood test. No one had ever found this problem before, and we were pretty stunned. DH is now monitored regularly by an oncologist and she has worked with me continuously to get my dosages sorted out. Her office is very busy and she is awesome.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:39 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
This did happen in 2011. Did you mention the flyers with drug information? Yes, I get those now. Back
then, I don't think so. Two minutes before entering the O.R. the doctor handed me the prescription and
said, "this is a new pain medication." (Along with a prescription for Cipro (antibiotic) and ear drops). I
had no time to do any research as I gave the prescriptions to my sister who was with me and then followed
the doctor in his scrubs into the O.R. After surgery, you feel groggy and are in discomfort. Once home,
you feel like getting some relief and sleeping. So researching isn't exactly on your mind then either. I
do remember the orange warning label about avoiding alcohol (which I did). I took one tablet as prescribed
and the rest is history.

I fall into the unfortunate category of having an awful experience with this drug. Others did too. WebMD
isn't the only site I left a review with (the surgery was in July, I left two online reviews in August). As well as
reporting it to the FDA. What else is a person to do?? Except avoid this drug like the plague.

It sounds like you have a level of confidence with Nucynta. The next time you are in pain, well - be my guest! But don't say YOU weren't warned.
Yes, the patient information sheet existed in 2011. It would have been given to your sister, particularly since it has a black box warning for opioids. The point is that your doctor was not a bad doctor for not telling you that you might have the reaction that you did, since those symptoms do not appear to be common with the drug. The drug label from 2011:

https://rxdruglabels.com/lib/rx/rx-m...ge/5/#medguide

"Read the Medication Guide that comes with NUCYNTA® before you start taking it and each time you get a new prescription. There may be new information. This Medication Guide does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions."

Your adverse experience does not mean it is a terrible drug. You have no idea how many have taken it and had a good experience with it. They are not posting on the internet.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:19 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, the patient information sheet existed in 2011. It would have been given to your sister, particularly since it has a black box warning for opioids. The point is that your doctor was not a bad doctor for not telling you that you might have the reaction that you did, since those symptoms do not appear to be common with the drug. The drug label from 2011:

https://rxdruglabels.com/lib/rx/rx-m...ge/5/#medguide

"Read the Medication Guide that comes with NUCYNTA® before you start taking it and each time you get a new prescription. There may be new information. This Medication Guide does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions."

Your adverse experience does not mean it is a terrible drug. You have no idea how many have taken it and had a good experience with it. They are not posting on the internet.

https://www.askapatient.com/viewrati...NUCYNTA&page=7

My second review is the 3rd one down. Others speculating that it was a new drug (at the time) that pharmaceutical companies were encouraging doctors to prescribe made me wonder as well.

Okay, let's say the doctor made a mistake and prescribed a drug that had a bad result. He's only human.
The gas lighting and/or adding insult to injury - "She must be having an anxiety attack" (total BS) doesn't make
him the most honorable guy.

Based on what I told you, would you feel comfortable trying this drug? Did you ever try it before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement