Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 04:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,707 times

Advertisements

After a long, rocky road with an ENT, I finally found a new one. The former ENT is supposed to be very good in his field but I got fed up with some of his arrogant behavior. For one example, he would sometimes make a snide or rude comment when it was just the two of us in the examine room. But when he was being observed by some medical students, he was sweet as sugar. Another example, he prescribed a new "pain" med after one of my ear surgeries. It ended up making my heart pound, my mind race - thought I was having a heart attack or headed for a stroke. I ended up in the ER. He told the ER doctor I must have been having an "anxiety attack" over the surgery! This was after the surgery. The ER doc even told him it was a bad reaction to the medication. He was trying to "cover himself." I reported the med to the FDA.

The reason I stayed so long is, he was supposedly only one of a few doctors who performed the surgery I needed and he accepted my insurance.

What about you? Every drop a "highly regarded" doctor who you just didn't like???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 04:25 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
After a long, rocky road with an ENT, I finally found a new one. The former ENT is supposed to be very good in his field but I got fed up with some of his arrogant behavior. For one example, he would sometimes make a snide or rude comment when it was just the two of us in the examine room. But when he was being observed by some medical students, he was sweet as sugar. Another example, he prescribed a new "pain" med after one of my ear surgeries. It ended up making my heart pound, my mind race - thought I was having a heart attack or headed for a stroke. I ended up in the ER. He told the ER doctor I must have been having an "anxiety attack" over the surgery! This was after the surgery. The ER doc even told him it was a bad reaction to the medication. He was trying to "cover himself." I reported the med to the FDA.

The reason I stayed so long is, he was supposedly only one of a few doctors who performed the surgery I needed and he accepted my insurance.

What about you? Every drop a "highly regarded" doctor who you just didn't like???
Oh absolutely. I saw a cardiologist who became visibly annoyed when I asked him a lot of questions. So I found a new cardiologist who was more willing to listen. There are plenty of doctors around here -- no need to put up with an arrogant a$$.

But I have to say I've left more doctors because of their office staff, than because of the doctor. I've read that most people who leave their doctors do so because of the office staff.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:27 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Yeah, I had a very rude cardiologist, I also saw him, before a procedure, & there was a nurse in the room, & I thought it was a different dr, he was actually polite, when someone else was in the room. Anyhow, we moved, & I was happy to find a better one in my new area.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:03 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post

I think we are always referred to one of the best doctors in the world. You certainly would not be referred to a poorly performing doctor????

I do agree there is a difference in quality and in personality so as you did, move on if you do not like your situation.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

But I have to say I've left more doctors because of their office staff, than because of the doctor. I've read that most people who leave their doctors do so because of the office staff.
Doctors and dentists. You'd think they'd train their staff better, wouldn't you? They're the first people we see, and the ones we interact with most. I've had one get absolutely demeaning when I called to ask about my bill. I wish I had told the Dr about her, but I didn't.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:12 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,906 times
Just FYI: I can't remember where I learned this -- maybe Becker's, maybe Stat News -- I'm sorry I can't remember -- anyway, old women who are fat are the least likely to get the treatment that they need. Were you ready for that one?

I have become fat in my age of 71.

So my new GP is about 45, in my Medicare Advantage Plan, and is supposed to be one of the best Internists in my state.

When I saw him, I had the results from blood tests taken about a year prior. I had low Vit D and while Vit D is not the miracle vitamin it was once touted to be, it is still very important that our blood test for Vit D is at a normal level.

He said to me: "I have plenty of patients with lower Vit D than you." (Really? So what?) Then he said, as he looked me up and down: "When people start to fall apart in their 70's, it's primarily because of an unhealthy lifestyle."

He refused to order all the annual blood tests that Medicare allows once every year.

As I left the room, I said to him, "Thank you for practicing good medical insurance and not good medical care."

I haven't been back since. And I can't go to just any doctor. I have to be assigned one by my Med Adv Plan.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:18 PM

219 posts, read 163,815 times
One for me and one for my late husband. My pulmonologist insisted I have a bronoscopy. He knew what my problem was. He took x-rays and CT scans of my lungs every year. He just wanted to check things out. I was the one stuck with expensive medical bills, still paying on them four years later. I told him no and canceled it. He sent me a certified letter, threatening me that I had to have this or I might wind up needing a lung transplant. After several years of trying alternative medicine, I tried a pulmonologist at the teaching university. He took no x-rays or CT scans, just did a lung function test. He put me on a new type of inhaler and a long course of prednisone to heal my lungs. I finally off the prednisone but will be on the other inhaler the rest of my life. But I have my lung function back.

The surgeon that did my husband's second hip replacement did a five hour surgery and told me that he'd have a lot more surgeries. We had to schedule followups a year out. Finally went in for it and talked to the physician's assistant. When we left the office, the doctor was right outside, talking to the receptionists! He said hi and that was it. A month later, we got a letter from his office, wanting us to come in again. We didn't.

It's like everything else. There are some great doctors out there and some lousy ones. You have to take charge of your own health and decide if you are getting good advice or not.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:20 PM

219 posts, read 163,815 times
Take vitamin D3 supplements! don't ask for permission, just do it! It protects your immune system and lungs. You should take at least 2000IU of it a day. That's not a large enough dose to worry about. There are some good You Tube videos by Dr. John Campbell on why vitamin D is so critical.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,904 times
I never had a "highly regarded" doctor. I have changed Dr's from time to time. Just quietly made an appointment with a different dr. and went on my merry way.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
I have a good PCP, best ever, but limped away from two orthopedic surgeons before I found one to do my hip replacement. The first was arrogant and paid no attention to anything I said. He hardly looked away from his computer screen. The second was flippant and made a big deal about being a "sports medicine" expert and finally admitted that he mostly was a knee surgeon...did some hips. Number three was young but was on top of the research, experienced, and very much engaged with his patients. He was a little bit non-traditional in post-op physical therapy and super vigilant on drugs. I have never just walked away from a regular doctor or felt I should. I buried two of them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement