Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 06:38 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
https://www.askapatient.com/viewrati...NUCYNTA&page=7

My second review is the 3rd one down. Others speculating that it was a new drug (at the time) that pharmaceutical companies were encouraging doctors to prescribe made me wonder as well.

Okay, let's say the doctor made a mistake and prescribed a drug that had a bad result. He's only human.
The gas lighting and/or adding insult to injury - "She must be having an anxiety attack" (total BS) doesn't make
him the most honorable guy.

Based on what I told you, would you feel comfortable trying this drug? Did you ever try it before?
No matter how many bad reviews a drug gets you still do not know how many took it without problems because they will never go to a website to post their positive experience. That said, the site you linked to does have some very positive reviews.

Any drug can have a "bad result", even aspirin.

The drug was developed to be an improvement on tramadol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapentadol

"The potency of tapentadol is somewhere between that of tramadol and morphine,[5] with an analgesic efficacy comparable to that of oxycodone despite a lower incidence of side effects.[1] It is generally regarded as a weak-moderate strength opioid (a category shared by many better-known opioids such as hydrocodone and pethidine)."

I would have no problems trying it.

By the way, people having anxiety attacks can have the symptoms you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a610006.html

2nd paragraph

Mild side effects are not a problem for most people. When a drug sends you to the ER, something is off.
(Other than a bad ear, I'm healthy). In good conscience, I couldn't recommend this to anyone. If I didn't
take a prescription drug and had those symptoms - pounding heart, mind racing, getting worse by the minute - it would have been even scarier. I would have had
NO idea what could have brought that on. At least I had an explanation.

Best of luck.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No matter how many bad reviews a drug gets you still do not know how many took it without problems because they will never go to a website to post their positive experience. That said, the site you linked to does have some very positive reviews.

Any drug can have a "bad result", even aspirin.

The drug was developed to be an improvement on tramadol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapentadol

"The potency of tapentadol is somewhere between that of tramadol and morphine,[5] with an analgesic efficacy comparable to that of oxycodone despite a lower incidence of side effects.[1] It is generally regarded as a weak-moderate strength opioid (a category shared by many better-known opioids such as hydrocodone and pethidine)."

I would have no problems trying it.

By the way, people having anxiety attacks can have the symptoms you described.
+1.

Most were positive reviews.

I am a female that had a heart attack at 36 w zero of the usual issues that bring one on...initially I was also told I was having an anxiety attack or an addict. It happens.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:28 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

Most were positive reviews.

I am a female that had a heart attack at 36 w zero of the usual issues that bring one on...initially I was also told I was having an anxiety attack or an addict. It happens.

Okay, be my guest and good luck. There are negative reviews on other sites as well. Should bad reviews be discounted or even mentioned in the first place as to start trouble?

Did you take a new prescription drug right before your heart attack - which I'm sorry to hear happened, especially so young.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:39 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Okay, be my guest and good luck. There are negative reviews on other sites as well. Should bad reviews be discounted or even mentioned in the first place as to start trouble?

Did you take a new prescription drug right before your heart attack - which I'm sorry to hear happened, especially so young.
The question is what percentage of prescriptions result in a severe adverse effect. Bad reviews are by definition anecdotes. They are not data.

You think the ENT should have warned you about the symptoms you had, when those symptoms are not common with the drug at all.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:40 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Looks like some people enjoy venting about doctors, drug side effects, and the health care industry in general. Sadly venting doesn't do anything especially when many of the facts are bogus. Instead it might make more sense to actually become informed and along the way learn how to evaluate health care and health care providers. Of course that might take some work. Venting nonsense is easy.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Our current primary care is a female, and she is excellent, but I don't know that gender is a determining factor. She does very complete blood tests every year and discovered a condition my husband had through the blood test. No one had ever found this problem before, and we were pretty stunned. DH is now monitored regularly by an oncologist and she has worked with me continuously to get my dosages sorted out. Her office is very busy and she is awesome.
One of my docs, a female, ran a disorganized and difficult to deal with office. So, no, not all female docs are by definition, better than males. But, in general, they are easier to talk to, and they are not quick to dismiss my concerns. The doc who ran her office poorly, also aggressively tried to treat my chronically high cholesterol, in spite of my intolerance of statins.

The one male doc I have seen since moving to my present location was a jerk. He was dismissive of my past experience, and he prescribed a med which wreaked havoc on my digestive system. Do you think I would go back and tell him I could not take that med? No. He would probably dismiss my experience. I would never go back to him. I’ve had several bad experiences with male docs through the years.

I can usually communicate with female docs.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:41 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
One of my docs, a female, ran a disorganized and difficult to deal with office. ....also aggressively tried to treat my chronically high cholesterol, in spite of my intolerance of statins.

The one male doc I have seen since moving to my present location was a jerk. He was dismissive of my past experience, and he prescribed a med which wreaked havoc on my digestive system. .......
More venting! How did you pick these doctors? Do you have a plan for selecting doctors?

Old 06-21-2020, 12:56 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
More venting! How did you pick these doctors? Do you have a plan for selecting doctors?
I'd love a class on how to pick a good doctor. Wanna start a thread with your tips?

Old 06-21-2020, 01:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Our current primary care is a female, and she is excellent, but I don't know that gender is a determining factor. She does very complete blood tests every year and discovered a condition my husband had through the blood test. No one had ever found this problem before, and we were pretty stunned. DH is now monitored regularly by an oncologist and she has worked with me continuously to get my dosages sorted out. Her office is very busy and she is awesome.
One of my docs, a female, ran a disorganized and difficult to deal with office. So, no, not all female docs are by definition, better than males. But, in general, they are easier to talk to, and they are not quick to dismiss my concerns. The doc who ran the her office poorly, also aggressively tried to treat my chronically high cholesterol, in spite of my intolerance of statins.

The one male doc I have seen since moving to my present location was a jerk. He was dismissive of my past experience, and he prescribed a med which wreaked havoc on my digestive system. Do you think I would go back and tell him I could not take that med? No. He would probably dismiss my experience. I would never go back to him. I’ve had several bad experiences with male docs through the years.

I can usually communicate with female docs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement