Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:44 PM

676 posts, read 728,168 times

Advertisements

Nice list. Sounds like Prince Charming. Good luck. If you ever do find such a creature, ask if he has a brother and let me know. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 08:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,618,107 times
NewtoCA and Serious Conversation are right on! emotional connection....

although some characteristics are non-negotiable (unacceptable).....

VTsnowbird has great humor on this one!

Old 08-01-2020, 08:57 PM

35,250 posts, read 31,599,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
NewtoCA and Serious Conversation are right on! emotional connection....

although some characteristics are non-negotiable (unacceptable).....

VTsnowbird has great humor on this one!
Just because you have a great emotional connection doesn't mean it's easy.

I've written about this on the relationships board before. We broke up in August, but she is moving next week, so wanted to spend her last week here with me.

She has a lot of health issues at 26 now - lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, had a stroke at 23, double hip replacement. She can walk fine, but now her knees need a replacement, so it's only over relatively short distances. I've been pushing the wheelchair in big stores again this week.

I'm 34. We're basically eight years apart. I've never had a single significant medical problem. I try to understand, but I really can't. It's tough to relate on health issues for us. I drink like a fish, am a bit overweight (but averaged 10k steps per day for July - so active), eat whatever I want, etc., and she has to be very careful. She gets jealous of my good health.

That doesn't even account for usual couple issues. She abuses medication from time to time. She's had "bad headaches" lately, and was prescribed a muscle relaxer for them that basically knocks her out. I had to carry her upstairs from the rocking chair (where she fell asleep) to the bed last night before 9. She was talking about how "I didn't bring all the bags up from the Hilton." She woke up around midnight, and I had been drinking in my upstairs office. I take so much abuse, then explode. She knows what buttons to push.

We had a loud argument, but walked away from it and went back to bed (though separate bedrooms), and had a big, happy day today.

Love is tough. I'm not sure this is going to work long-term now. I'm up in the air on the area she is moving to - I've been there, better than here, but I like other places better. All I can do is manage things the best I can on a daily basis.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 PM

3,113 posts, read 2,259,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You left off good figure.
I am sure that was for a good reason. The OP wanted someone to reply to the thread

Old 08-01-2020, 11:50 PM

22,831 posts, read 19,433,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm single and have been for a long time.

I have been married (more than once).

Right now, at this moment in my senior life, the "perfect mate" would have the following qualities (in no order):

* Good teeth/breath
* Good health
* Financial stability
* Emotional stability
* Easy-going personality
* Fun and good-natured
* Moral and ethical
* Squeaky clean (bathes at least once per day)
* Good listener
* Loves to travel (short or long trips) - and is spontaneous
* Appreciation for other cultures
* Politically liberal
* Spiritual and aware
* Handy and helpful
* Good cook or prep cook
* Interested in lots of stuff
* Non-traditional
* Artistic
two questions:
1. are you already all of these things also?

2. and once you show her your list, are you of course asking to see her list to see what all she expects you to be do and have?

Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 PM

i've always found two things helpful to find out:
ask the person what they feel are their worst traits; and see if they are deal breakers for me
and
(this i read somewhere and it is so true) be in some situation where they get angry and see how they handle anger.

oh, one more, a must check.
eat out and see how they treat the waitress

Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 PM

interesting to read the lists and comments.
bad teeth don't bother me.
being a snob does.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:11 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,539,884 times
How about this for a list of attributes?

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Of course every husband/wife cannot be an Eagle Scout. But they can live like one.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:22 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,510,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Are you male or female? If the latter, good luck finding anyone. You may have to settle for "stands upright" and "breathes in and out."

Or you could happily remain single.
Do you really think mature women have a harder time than mature men, 'cause I don't.

You don't need a man your own age or older...go younger!

Old 08-02-2020, 04:14 AM

897 posts, read 781,992 times
Wow! As I read through the list, I thought he/she is describing my spouse. I’m blessed to have a wonderful spouse who makes me laugh everyday. If they go before me, I wouldn’t even try to find another one. No one would measure up. And it would be WAY too messy financially and my family has to come first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement