Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 12:25 AM

260 posts, read 155,297 times

Advertisements

Have anyone noticed masks are being discarded and thrown out like garbage?

Today, I went to ATM at bank and noticed a perfectly good (albeit dirty) white cloth mask lying sadly at the bottom of the ATM. Because I am short, I have to get out of my car to use the ATM machine.

Anyway, I shook my head, picked up the mask and put it in my car. Then I sanitized my hands. When I got home, I soaked the mask in kitchen detergent and scrubbed the dirt staines. Then I put it in the washing machine.

It is so hard to get masks and this was a cotton mask which did not appear damaged other than dirt. Cotton masks are not as effective as N95 masks but they are still good. Shameful people just toss things away so easily.

Ps: I did question myself as I picked up the mask; but I had sanitizer with me and chose to revive the mask. Any thoughts or opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 12:40 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,601,180 times
Three thoughts. I have never seen a mask tossed on the ground in my area. Cotton masks are easy to come by, some are quite nice being home made and sold in shops or online. Mask on ground is litter and Should be tossed.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:13 AM

897 posts, read 781,992 times
I haven’t seen you masks discarded or thrown away like trash. I don’t think I would have picked it up.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:23 AM

62,145 posts, read 88,017,025 times
I think some mask are just simply lost. People walk out of stores and take them off, then get busy reaching for their car keys or putting in shopping bags, and they drop their mask. I lost one of my best that way. Didn't notice till I arrived to the next store.
I would pick up a great mask from the ground too. Wash and sanitize, and enjoy ... lol.

Blue surgical masks and vinyl gloves are just tossed like other trash by many. I guess they never learned not to litter.
However, I get often frustrated when I don't see any trash can nearby.

Last edited by elnina; 08-15-2020 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 03:33 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,534,548 times
I've seen more surgical masks floating around as garbage.

I did see one white 2pky cotton mask like the county passed out a while ago, it was on the ground, dirty.

I used a trash bag from my vans garbage can to pick it up and wrap it. Sanitized my hands after.
Brought it home, soaked it in hot water and bleached, then tossed in the laundry with oxyclean and bleach. Came out shiney new again, though a bit dingy and not quite white white, but so did the two from the county we got new when they passed them out.
You'd think it the bleach would brighten them, but as they age like white underwear they do get dingy from wear and tear.

Normally I would not pick up something like that, but they were very hard to come by, so I took the chance. Now masks are available all over at DIFFERENT prices. Usually use the surgery masks, and they too can be hand washed, though I don't bleach them, hand wash HOT water and liquid antibacterial soap and oxyclean. Extends the useful life.

Since we both are required to wear one in the state to go out of your house, and of course at work, need several to choose from.
They say the surgery masks are best behind the n-95 Masks, even harder to come by.

On another note, I went to work this morning, and was told I had a fever of 100, or 100.3, depending on which of the 6 reading s you want to believe. Now I have to wait and cal for us to get into testing, and quarantine for 3 days until results are back.

I went with my other half to the Dr for my OH s appointment yesterday, and we were temp'd to get in the building, I was fine then.
I'm allergic to anything growing outdoor, and the dry high heat days have had my allergies kicking my butt. I'm hoping it's just the sinusitis that I've got raising my temp!

The good news is that MY time off for this is PAID.
My OH is gone waiting to get tested too, but doesn't have any paid time to take.

Grr, now we sitting around waiting for everything to open, and now, like lockdown, we sit and wait, and wait, and wait.

Grr

Old 08-15-2020, 03:49 AM

62,145 posts, read 88,017,025 times
Did you get tested?? Hope you're OK!!

Old 08-15-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you get tested?? Hope you're OK!!
Awaiting 8am to call fir appointment at the University today hopefully.

Here's hoping it's just my allergies.
I certainly don't feel "fevered"!!

Old 08-15-2020, 06:35 AM

Update: appt is at 10:30 today, should know by Monday, Tues at latest.

And, no, didn't come from the ground mask, I found that's months ago, and have been using the surgical masks at work.

Here's hoping Murphy is NOT setting up house in our house.

I get paid for the time off

My OH doesn't.

Grr.

Now to call the insurance company for work, they should be open now.

Wish me luck! I could use it.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:16 AM

8,830 posts, read 5,156,015 times
Wow....times would really have too be tough,for me too dig a used mask out of the rubbish.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:06 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,834,368 times
You’re nuts for picking up used mask by bare hand. My husband and I have gloves, masks, and hats on sometime, we even have face shields. Note the minute I get home, I wash my hands and face again with Dial soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement