Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 11,246,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Three thoughts. I have never seen a mask tossed on the ground in my area. Cotton masks are easy to come by, some are quite nice being home made and sold in shops or online. Mask on ground is litter and Should be tossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I haven’t seen you masks discarded or thrown away like trash. I don’t think I would have picked it up.
I'd suggest pouring gas on it and firing it up. If you find it in the woods, pee on it. That will disinfect it and the next user won't have to worry about anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 12:38 PM

23,911 posts, read 33,722,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
The Olson mask is one of the more fitted types (or as you describe, looking like a bra cup), so I'm not sure if it would work for your grandson (at the time, it was believed to be one of the better ones, and also praised for its comfort by some healthcare workers I believe). It's more complex to make, as I mentioned, because it's made of four separate pieces of fabric (instead of cutting out one piece and pleating and sewing and you're done like the pleated masks, or only one or two pieces depending on the design like some fitted designs I've seen more recently and wish I'd seen before I made these). It's not more *difficult* to make, just more time-consuming.

I chose to make ties for mine for a few reasons, but you can use elastic (and, of course, if using ties, can use shoelaces or ribbon or bias tape or twill tape or anything rather than making them out of the same fabric and essentially making bias tape, so that will be faster for you as well).

If you Google "Olson mask" there are a lot of patterns and tutorials; these are the two I used:

http://www.regmedctr.org/webres/File...THIS%20ONE.pdf

There's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVk12sFRkY

And then this one, which is a bit more detailed: https://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/simpl...n-mask-pattern
Thanks for the links. I have a google search open, hopefully I can find a decent surgeon type mask pattern for my grandson. I'm not sure which type I want for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Does the lemon Lysol expire like bleach? I have some but can't see the small print on the bottle.

If not, that would definitely be better than the cannisters of wipes.
I just looked at my bottle and do not see anything about an expiration date. Mr Clean may be another good one because I'm pretty sure that's disinfecting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
As a hockey fan, I bought Red Wings masks from nhl.com. My wife found numerous online mask patterns and has made some snazzy masks.

Then there's these:
https://www.insider.com/women-making...ir-bras-2020-3
One of the women that was on 90 day fiance owns a bra shop. She said they've been making masks that they started doing from their bra pattern but they're not making them out of the actual bras like your link. It's a good idea if you have padded bras you don't use

Old 08-16-2020, 01:11 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,168,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I just looked at my bottle and do not see anything about an expiration date. Mr Clean may be another good one because I'm pretty sure that's disinfecting too.
Cool! Okay, so I'll omit the pre-moistened wipes and add an extra bottle or two of Lysol and a couple rolls of paper towels. Two bottles of the Lysol spray take up less room than two cannisters which is a bonus. Plus, nothing in the kit should go bad, or need to be rotated.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:38 PM

6,501 posts, read 4,037,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I wish they used a bra hook in the back in stead of going around the ears.
Google "ear savers." Easy to make, or available to buy.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Just as a reference point...

Yesterday I counted the masks being worn in the Post Office and the Dollar Tree. Then walked through the parking lots of each. There were more masks discarded outside blowing around the parking lot, than there were mounted on faces (in each place). This is Texas Strong country, where the sign on the door says MASK REQUIRED, but as soon as you walk in the business owner will say, "Take that silly thing off, you're scaring away my HEALTHY customers".

(<10) total COVID cases through mid June;
'Opened up' Memorial Day.
Currently 483 cases / 7 deaths

Last night the food places were JAMMED.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:40 PM

260 posts, read 154,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just as a reference point...

Yesterday I counted the masks being worn in the Post Office and the Dollar Tree. Then walked through the parking lots of each. There were more masks discarded outside blowing around the parking lot, than there were mounted on faces (in each place). This is Texas Strong country, where the sign on the door says MASK REQUIRED, but as soon as you walk in the business owner will say, "Take that silly thing off, you're scaring away my HEALTHY customers".

(<10) total COVID cases through mid June;
'Opened up' Memorial Day.
Currently 483 cases / 7 deaths

Last night the food places were JAMMED.
That is just stupid and shameful. The wasted masks can be given to people who need them after complete cleansing.

And people walking around without protective face covering will just extend this virus and make it harder to live for us retirees and elders. Just shameful I say.

Youth are knowingly going into public places after knowing they tested positive and seniors are most suffering as a result. All I say is shameful.

I am glad I rescued that mask now! We all can be doing something to fight this no matter how small.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:14 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,112,047 times
You can boil them in cleaning solution and sterilize them in an autoclave, I'd never wear a used mask found on the street. It's like someone else's underwear. You'll never get it clean enough for me to forget that it had someone else's "cooties" on it.

As far as wipes go, the first ingredient is water so if they dry out over time due to that water evaporating you can bring them back to life by adding a little water to the container. I've done it with lemon cleaning wipes and also with baby wipes. It works.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:52 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,722,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
You can boil them in cleaning solution and sterilize them in an autoclave, I'd never wear a used mask found on the street. It's like someone else's underwear. You'll never get it clean enough for me to forget that it had someone else's "cooties" on it.

As far as wipes go, the first ingredient is water so if they dry out over time due to that water evaporating you can bring them back to life by adding a little water to the container. I've done it with lemon cleaning wipes and also with baby wipes. It works.
That's what I used to do with baby wipes too. Right now, I like using the dried ones for disinfecting wipes. They hold up way better then what you can buy in the store.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:32 PM

35,189 posts, read 31,510,336 times
I've seen a lot of used surgical masks in shopping carts.

I usually use them for one day or until I've gotten sweaty. I can get fifty disposable surgical masks at Sam's for $14.99. Changing them out often isn't a big deal.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:00 PM

3,240 posts, read 2,462,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy retiree 16 View Post
Have anyone noticed masks are being discarded and thrown out like garbage?

Today, I went to ATM at bank and noticed a perfectly good (albeit dirty) white cloth mask lying sadly at the bottom of the ATM. Because I am short, I have to get out of my car to use the ATM machine.

Anyway, I shook my head, picked up the mask and put it in my car. Then I sanitized my hands. When I got home, I soaked the mask in kitchen detergent and scrubbed the dirt staines. Then I put it in the washing machine.

It is so hard to get masks and this was a cotton mask which did not appear damaged other than dirt. Cotton masks are not as effective as N95 masks but they are still good. Shameful people just toss things away so easily.

Ps: I did question myself as I picked up the mask; but I had sanitizer with me and chose to revive the mask. Any thoughts or opinions?
Probably just a person like you who had to open their door to reach the ATM and the mask fell out of the car and they didn't notice. Paper masks I see a lot. Yes, many fall out of someone's possession inadvertently but I do think some people just drop them beside their car much like other trash. I think you do ok reviving the mask. You washed it twice once by hand and the other in the machine. Since it was white a cap or two of bleach in the water would also work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement