Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 02:01 PM

9,489 posts, read 11,255,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just as a reference point...

Yesterday I counted the masks being worn in the Post Office and the Dollar Tree. Then walked through the parking lots of each. There were more masks discarded outside blowing around the parking lot, than there were mounted on faces (in each place). This is Texas Strong country, where the sign on the door says MASK REQUIRED, but as soon as you walk in the business owner will say, "Take that silly thing off, you're scaring away my HEALTHY customers".

(<10) total COVID cases through mid June;
'Opened up' Memorial Day.
Currently 483 cases / 7 deaths

Last night the food places were JAMMED.
That's a good sign. Never in history have so many people been cowed into submission so quickly and with no effort and no violence. If only Hitler had thought of this he'd have had a much easier time with Ivan and Western Europe. But then, people weren't so stupid in those days, so it might not have worked.

Look at the Sweden model. We need to get past this, the fastest way is stay open.

Figure 50,000 as a real figure, similar to a flu season. How can the red china flu numbers be so solid when the normal flu numbers vary by almost a factor of three?

BTW, is the flu extinct? I have yet to hear BOO! about the flu. 24,000 to 62,000 deaths this season, per CDC estimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 03:03 PM

1,131 posts, read 390,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
That's a good sign. Never in history have so many people been cowed into submission so quickly and with no effort and no violence. If only Hitler had thought of this he'd have had a much easier time with Ivan and Western Europe. But then, people weren't so stupid in those days, so it might not have worked.

Look at the Sweden model. We need to get past this, the fastest way is stay open.

Figure 50,000 as a real figure, similar to a flu season. How can the red china flu numbers be so solid when the normal flu numbers vary by almost a factor of three?

BTW, is the flu extinct? I have yet to hear BOO! about the flu. 24,000 to 62,000 deaths this season, per CDC estimate.
You arguing against the COVID precautions our country is taking? You think it's all fake news? Perhaps visit the Politics forum for that kind of discussion.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:33 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,046,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
T
The Swedish model?

Oh, you must mean the one where instead of treating C-19 nursing home patients, they euthanized them.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:16 PM

260 posts, read 155,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I think you do ok reviving the mask. You washed it twice once by hand and the other in the machine. Since it was white a cap or two of bleach in the water would also work.
Thank you NorthofHere. I agree. I haven't used it yet, but don't think it would be a problem to do so.

Two people inferred it would be like wearing someone's underwear. I don't even think this is even a considerable argument. If I had seen underwear or other unmentionables on the ground; that is where they would have stayed.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:08 PM

37,820 posts, read 41,132,981 times
Keep clean unused throwaways in the car in case I need to go indoors somewhere. Keep a trash bag in the car for the one I break or remove before I go in my home. Don't wear one outdoors. Never in a crowd of people outdoors even before Covid 19. Sometimes it pays to be antisocial.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:07 AM

23,918 posts, read 33,745,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy retiree 16 View Post
Thank you NorthofHere. I agree. I haven't used it yet, but don't think it would be a problem to do so.

Two people inferred it would be like wearing someone's underwear. I don't even think this is even a considerable argument. If I had seen underwear or other unmentionables on the ground; that is where they would have stayed.
I agree. it's nothing like wearing used underwear.

There could be many reasons the mask was laying at the ATM. My guess is they also opened the door to use it, the mask probably fell out.

Heck, my daughter lost an android cell phone she uses for music when she took the kids to the park Friday night in my car. Apparently it dropped out of my car when my grandson got in. Unfortunately she didn't realize it until the next morning, my 3 year old granddaughter said she saw it on the ground where the car was parked. She went back to the park as soon as she realized it but it was gone. Someone obviously picked it up, had tried logging into some of her accounts. Thankfully it wasn't a new phone. It was a few years old, the screen was cracked up. I told her to make a post in the local talk FB group, maybe someone will give it back

Quote:
Have anyone noticed masks are being discarded and thrown out like garbage?

Today, I went to ATM at bank and noticed a perfectly good (albeit dirty) white cloth mask lying sadly at the bottom of the ATM. Because I am short, I have to get out of my car to use the ATM machine.

Anyway, I shook my head, picked up the mask and put it in my car. Then I sanitized my hands. When I got home, I soaked the mask in kitchen detergent and scrubbed the dirt staines. Then I put it in the washing machine.

It is so hard to get masks and this was a cotton mask which did not appear damaged other than dirt. Cotton masks are not as effective as N95 masks but they are still good. Shameful people just toss things away so easily.

Ps: I did question myself as I picked up the mask; but I had sanitizer with me and chose to revive the mask. Any thoughts or opinions?

Old 08-18-2020, 12:21 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,843,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I agree. it's nothing like wearing used underwear.
I think using a discarded mask is actually WORSE than refurbished underwear!
But I have no intention of finding out either way.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:04 PM

35,384 posts, read 17,279,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Keep clean unused throwaways in the car in case I need to go indoors somewhere. Keep a trash bag in the car for the one I break or remove before I go in my home. Don't wear one outdoors. Never in a crowd of people outdoors even before Covid 19. Sometimes it pays to be antisocial.
If I leave my car keys in the door's holding area I cover them with used masks.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:08 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,701,445 times
Quote:
Have anyone noticed masks are being discarded and thrown out like garbage?

Today, I went to ATM at bank and noticed a perfectly good (albeit dirty) white cloth mask lying sadly at the bottom of the ATM. Because I am short, I have to get out of my car to use the ATM machine.

Anyway, I shook my head, picked up the mask and put it in my car. Then I sanitized my hands. When I got home, I soaked the mask in kitchen detergent and scrubbed the dirt staines. Then I put it in the washing machine.

It is so hard to get masks and this was a cotton mask which did not appear damaged other than dirt. Cotton masks are not as effective as N95 masks but they are still good. Shameful people just toss things away so easily.

Ps: I did question myself as I picked up the mask; but I had sanitizer with me and chose to revive the mask. Any thoughts or opinions?
I've gotten two great masks this way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement