Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 03:33 PM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Do you mean due to retirement, due to aging, or due to COVID/quarantine?

As for me, I've changed in that I seem to have lost the ability to work onsite after a year of working at home.

My overlords have recalled everyone to the office, so I'm retiring.
Since this is a retirement forum i guess it is aimed mostly at retired people. Retirement is a special state, provided of course that you have health and adequate finances. Congratulations! You may gain something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 03:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Since this is a retirement forum i guess it is aimed mostly at retired people. Retirement is a special state, provided of course that you have health and adequate finances. Congratulations! You may gain something else.
I know who it's aimed at, but what's not clear in the question is "have your wants and needs changed" -- since when???

Thank you! I'm sure I will.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:51 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
4. We are not going to Europe until we can fly "mask-free". I am a big baby and am not wearing a mask for 14+ hours.
Fly private, not commercial.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:56 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
I know who it's aimed at, but what's not clear in the question is "have your wants and needs changed" -- since when???

Thank you! I'm sure I will.
"Since retiring" I'm guessing.

We don't need to go out to eat as much. We are staying much closer to home than before retirement unless a once-a-year trip comes up but that's tabled for now.

I "want" all my former activities, but finding out I don't actually "need" them. Many activities change along with our bodies, unfortunately.

Reminds me of Rolling Stones: "You don't always get what you waaa-ant...."

Old 04-11-2021, 03:57 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Before I leave the country I want to make sure things are back to normal. I don't want to get somewhere just to find everything I want to visit or experience is closed. I don't want to get stuck, unable to return home, either. There are Australians that haven't been able to return home in a year. I was reading about it. I can't imagine anything more awful. Even if one is stuck in paradise, it's still stuck.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Fly private, not commercial.
If I find the winning lottery ticket lying on the sidewalk, then I would do that.
I know someone who cashed in on a corporate takeover for $28M and now flies private (time share).

Old 04-11-2021, 04:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
"Since retiring" I'm guessing.
That would be my guess, too, but most seem to be answering "since COVID."

Maybe the OP will clarify...

Old 04-11-2021, 04:53 PM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
That would be my guess, too, but most seem to be answering "since COVID."

Maybe the OP will clarify...
Sorry, i mean a combination. Retirement by itself brings some changes, like in your routines, losing a little bit of your identity that your job gave. Adding Covid isolation to it i feel has had an effect that otherwise might not have occured. Maybe it is the sadness of losing your family, the kids and grandkids, the touch and feel, that is a covid induced layer over the retired life. I feel, as Fluffy pointed out, an inner growth, a self discovery.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Not a whole lot have changed for us. We don't get to go to shows (symphony etc) like we did pre-Covid, or eat in most restaurants. No twice-yearly trips to Santa Fe. Hope to go later on in summer if their Covid numbers hold steady.

We stay home more than we go out and that's fine with us.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:30 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Since retiring - much less travel other than between our 2 houses. Before retiring - I used to travel on business 8-10 times a year for weeks at a time. After retiring - just a few vacation trips and more off season and mid-week since not subject to work requirements

Since COVID - no travel by plane, last trip was to Hawaii, Jan 2020. Also no visit to relatives - because of vaccine, will be going to visit in NorCal next week, first time since Dec 2019. For a while during COVID, very little takeout or eating out - now, lots of takeout but still little eating out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement