Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 07:32 AM

22,124 posts, read 13,222,667 times

Advertisements

Having to constantly be busy doing something or going somewhere or buying something or unable to be alone for long periods is DEFINITELY not "contentment," so if quarantine has heightened our ability to just BE, I would say that's been a good thing...

As I say, I've had a huge fear of retirement for the past few years simply because I'm stuck in a boring small town where there's nothing much to do for personal reasons for the time being and dreaded just sitting at home doing nothing all day.

After a year of doing pretty much just that, I'm over it! I still plan to relocate, but WFH enabled me to retire. It's a good thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 09:44 AM

3,768 posts, read 5,893,831 times
Haven't been anywhere since Oct. '19 and really don't want to go anywhere until things open up more. Why do I want to wear a mast for 2 hours at the airport waiting to be crammed into a plane and then wear it going to get luggage and rent car? Or, drive someplace and find that it has limited hours or is closed. Or, open but "social distanced". We did have some painting done and home improvements last April and we are fortunate enough that our governor has not locked down the state like some blue states. Church has been live streamed and then limited seating for months now. I do miss live concerts as streamed are not the same, I am tired of zoom choirs as well even though I know it took a LOT of effort to do those. Being able to socialize in big groups has been the thing that I have missed.

As far as long term, I used to want a 2 story colonial ( ala Tara) but glad for our one story ranch with no steps now. Also, used to want a BMW or MB but even though I could write a check for one now , I am glad for my Lexus which has been luxurious but not costly to operate. You just look at things and life much different now than 30-40 years ago. I am grateful that we have not suffered like so many others but hope that this is not the "new normal" that is being predicted.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:54 PM

6,788 posts, read 5,529,838 times
I still WANT it, and I still NEED it...oh, wait, that's not the subject..

I'm trying to divest the house of...crap.
What I WANTED has now become something I DON'T NEED....and no one wants it.

I think it's only baby boomers buying/selling/trading our stuff on Craigslist. And probably ebay too.

Millennials don't want our stuff.
We don't want our stuff.

But the town dump will be happy to take it off our hands...for a few, of course.

"You don't own your Stuff, your stuff owns you".

Truer words never spoken, and that's an old phrase.

My dad just keeps adding to an already full house...he has directly said to me "I don't have to worry about my stuff...it'll be up to you to deal with it when I'm gone."

My main needs are to finish getting out of debt (not so much left thanks to stimulus), to rebuild an "adequate" retirement funds..for the third time in my life...and to travel a bit wider than I have before I may return to being not able to walk so much... again.

When it comes down to it...none of us needs much..food, roof, clothes, all else is negotiable.

When my neighbor lady had a garage sale, mother wanted to go over to see what she had.. so I took her.
She said her mother had passed away, and once the 5 kids took/distributed what they wanted, and the rest was sold at auction, there was her mother's old rocking chair left.
Neighbor said "that's what your life comes down to: an old rocking chair nobody wants".

I hope I die naked..that's how I came in, that's how is like to go out...

This is a depressing thought thread, and I'm probably waaaay off in left field as to OPs original intent..

Now off to my rocking chair..and sit and rock...naked.

Ugh

Old 04-14-2021, 03:44 PM

20,035 posts, read 9,571,670 times
Now that I have accomplished the only two things on my bucket list (my dream home and going on a Windjammer cruise), my needs and wants have not changed at all.

Good health for both myself and my husband and enough money to be comfortable and secure until I die (unless the economy collapses). That takes care of both my needs and wants.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:50 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,012,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I know who it's aimed at, but what's not clear in the question is "have your wants and needs changed" -- since when???

Thank you! I'm sure I will.
Otterhere, I had the same question. I even wondered if the OP meant after vaccination, so you are far from alone in your query

Old 06-18-2021, 01:54 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,870,259 times
My wants and needs have changed Dramatically as I've aged...Not much I want anymore. And nothing really changed in the covid times. Except I'm angry about how it all has been handled.

No vaccines here and a mask 2 times in all of it.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:57 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,508,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. ...

4. We are not going to Europe until we can fly "mask-free". I am a big baby and am not wearing a mask for 14+ hours. We might consider a trip to Montreal or Vancouver before Europe.
I read that Canada just extended it's border closure policy with the U.S. I think Europe is more open.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:25 PM

557 posts, read 301,057 times
As an Introvert, the pandemic has given me a valid excuse for my anti-socialness

but.... for the first time, I have given a passing thought about going out amongst humanity.

I thought about going to see Disney's Cruella in the theater. The fashions look so over the top as to be entrancing and I love Emma Thomson! But I am not going to do it. I can imagine getting back out into stores and starting necessary dentist/doctor/vet appointments, maybe, some day, but I haven't any immediate wants or needs.

I do drive a neighbor to errands and appointments. I have tried to introduce the concept of Amazon and curbside pickup, telehealth, etc... It is not for her. She is intrepid and outgoing, for her, the need to be out and about, is as necessary as the need to breathe. We all do what works for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement