Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:14 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Of course, defining "big" is a matter of opinion, but to me, that would mean any splurge that would use up more than one percent of retirement savings -- but for the purposes of this thread, let's say anything that costs more than a couple of thousand dollars that is definitely not a necessity. And I am not talking about a splurge that both partners agree upon (such as a nice vacation or redecorating the home or putting in an outdoor spa), but in cases where one person wants to spend a lot of money on something, and the other person doesn't.

To use my example, I gave in -- my husband is something of a gourmet cook (not five star, but he enjoys experimenting with different kinds of cuisines) and he said he wanted a VERY expensive set of new cookware and knives. Now we already have perfectly good cookware and knives, but they are mostly old -- as he needed something or something wore out, we would just replace it. (I gave in because I eventually decided that it would be worth it as he would use it every day, and that I was just being somewhat miserly -- which, granted, is part of my nature, although I am not a total Scrooge.)

Anyway, I just wonder how others decide if a big splurge is worth dipping into the retirement savings to pay for it. And, of course, if you have it set up so that each of you have your own accounts for individual splurges or expenses, that wouldn't apply.

P.S. And please don't make this thread about me! We addressed it to our satisfaction, so no advice is required where I am concerned. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 09:55 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I am not married so what he does with his dinero is none of my business and vice-versa.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:56 AM

oh but I know you said not to talk about your experience - but darn I enjoy good cookware. LOL

Old 12-20-2021, 10:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
My wife is retiring this coming summer, I'm going another year. We are spending now while we have the money and don't have to dip into retirement savings such as the 401Ks. In the last two years we got the driveway sealcoated, a new roof,
the house is to be painted next spring, and I'm in the process of buying a classic car to tinker with.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:25 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
We usually agree to big expenditures and that is the problem ….we have no adult supervision…

Like with our photography..I can want a 2k lens and she will go get me one too so we have to buy to of everything .

it’s like there is no one to say no …

About the only resistance I got was next year I wanted to get a new car and do something a bit unordinary for us for my birthday being I always enjoyed cars , I wanted a Maserati for my 70th and she felt with all the bangs and dings we get locally in parking lots she prefers something less costly ..so we comprised at getting a BMW X5 next year .

Old 12-20-2021, 10:41 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
my husband is something of a gourmet cook (not five star, but he enjoys experimenting with different kinds of cuisines) and he said he wanted a VERY expensive set of new cookware and knives.
What kind of cruel person teases us and does not tell us the brands/models that he bought?

Old 12-20-2021, 10:53 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We usually agree to big expenditures and that is the problem ….we have no adult supervision…

Like with our photography..I can want a 2k lens and she will go get me one too so we have to buy to of everything .

it’s like there is no one to say no …

About the only resistance I got was next year I wanted to get a new car and do something a bit unordinary for us for my birthday being I always enjoyed cars , I wanted a Maserati for my 70th and she felt with all the bangs and dings we get locally in parking lots she prefers something less costly ..so we comprised at getting a BMW X5 next year .
You probably dodged a bullet on the Maserati. They are notorious for leaving their owners stranded.

The BMW should be reasonably reliable as long as you don't keep it much past the warranty's end.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:08 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
You probably dodged a bullet on the Maserati. They are notorious for leaving their owners stranded.

The BMW should be reasonably reliable as long as you don't keep it much past the warranty's end.
I have had quite a few bmws ,

All bought new and all were replaced at 4 years.

Since the 1970s I have always bought new cars and kept them about 4 years .it was a mechanical disaster

Only exception was my 1987 Volvo 740 …what a piece of crap …the only thing not replaced over the 8 years i kept it was the glove compartment door

Old 12-20-2021, 11:12 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Our money is combined. Either one of us can spend whatever we want to out of our retirement income. We don't need to use our savings. For anything that costs a few thousand dollars or more we run it by each other but don't veto it if the other person really wants it. Over the course of the year we will probably spend several thousand each on stuff we want anyway. Honestly, none of it is probably needed, just wanted. For the most part we are not extravagant and get good value for our money. I spend money on cameras and lenses and guitars but buy them used on ebay at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a comparable new item. She spends money on clothes and household furnishings. The conversation is usually one of us will say I'm spending $X on Y. The other will say OK. I'll usually ask her to check the online reviews before buying.

As far as some of the other things mentioned, I lease a new Toyota Camry 4 dr. sedan every three years and have since 1995. The only thing I change is the color. It's the perfect car for me.

A few years ago my son bought my wife a La Creuset Dutch Oven. It really does cook better than any previous pots. He also bought us a set of good knives and they are a pleasure to use.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What kind of cruel person teases us and does not tell us the brands/models that he bought?
right - I want to know also!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement