Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 03:01 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, bdl. It's NOT independent living. I would be the only person who is not being helped with meds, daily care, etc. The administrator has all the say and power and we just clicked. I am at the lowest level of help and even then I am far below that. IF I start to need help, then I can get it ( for a price).
Oh. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't familiar with someone going from a home into assisted living.
Years ago I helped my parents move from their single house in a retirement community to assisted living. They were an accident waiting to happen. He had Alzheimer's and was still driving but couldn't remember how to get places. She was losing her eyesight but had a good memory so was able to give him directions when they had to go to the store or doctor. It was not sustainable.

I don't know why you would think a person wouldn't voluntarily go to assisted living. Were you thinking they might be hospitalized first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 04:22 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

I don't know why you would think a person wouldn't voluntarily go to assisted living. Were you thinking they might be hospitalized first?
No, I thought she was describing independent living in a CCRC, where you go from independent to assisted as needed. Nothing about being voluntary or not.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:26 PM

When I works in-patient geriatric dementia, often people would go from home with poor functioning to assisted living, like a Hail Mary for their conditions. Didn't usually last long in assisted living and needed more.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:35 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, first I don't think you need to jump the gun.

1) why didn't your older roommates call 911 for help, once they found they couldn't get you up?

2) also there are any number of "necklaces" that have a button you can press and say "help ice fallen and can't get up"! Life alert is one.
Some are "smart" and can give an exact gps location of where you are, even if walking in the park.

For the necklace, you would need a relative or friend you can call on to come to your aid.
But they can also notify police, fire department or ambulance service.
And if you've fallen, it's possible you SHOULD be checked out at a hospital with x-rays and such to be sure you haven't broken anything that isn't readily apparent.

I do agree with your choice of "no bells and whistles, as some aren't really conducive to certain seniors, like a pool, unless they are/life long good swimmers, or go for "aqua aerobics" exercise regiment s.

Around here, there are smaller assisted facilities, that are a home like place (actually in a neighborhood house) where nursing/assisting staff ratio to "patient s" is like 2-3 to 1.
And half the price of a nursing home type ALF.

When my time comes, I'll pick one of those to live in first.

Best to you as you transition!
I DON'T WANT to stay with these people anymore. There are numerous, numerous reasons.

bdl, what is a CCRC? Yes, I do believe that is what this place is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No, I thought she was describing independent living in a CCRC, where you go from independent to assisted as needed. Nothing about being voluntary or not.
An ALF called this afternoon to reschedule a tour I canceled a month or two ago. I couldn't answer the phone but she left a message.

I opened up their website to refresh my memory. It HAS all the bells and whistles and a lanai I would so like. BUT the monthly cost is almost $2000 MORE !!!! No thanks. I have to bend and compromise. I have to set aside my champagne and caviar taste for my beer budget.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:39 PM

[quote=tamiznluv;62747296]I DON'T WANT to stay with these people anymore. There are numerous, numerous reasons.

bdl, what is a CCRC? Yes, I do believe that is what this place is.

Continuing care retirement community. Has different levels of care/life in the community, usually independent to assisted to skilled nursing or memory care. They often have a buy in fee that is refundable to you upon living or your estate.

This way, if your needs change, you are still in the same community.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:42 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
My uncle, a widower, just moved into one. He said the same.
I wish my dad, the same, would move into one. Of course, he has absolutely no money or assets, so that's not going to happen. The thought of being a caregiver yet again for a third time really depresses me.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:55 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I looked into an ALF for an older ill sibling. It was nice and cost wise - not too bad.

But even though she was willing to go to our local nursing home at one time, she said no to this. The local nursing home closed. It was basically just across the road from her house, so she wanted to stay close to home.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I wish my dad, the same, would move into one. Of course, he has absolutely no money or assets, so that's not going to happen. The thought of being a caregiver yet again for a third time really depresses me.
superk, I have no money or assets anymore either. If something goes wrong, like the government shutting down again, I am screeeeewed. Next step would be troll under the bridge for me.

Does Dad get SS? Is he a VET? I applied yesterday to the VA because Vets and their widow(er)s are entitled to $1200 a month. You can spend the money on anything I was told. Maybe you could find him a home. You can do an online search for ALFs. They usually have prices, care, floor plans on their websites.

Good luck. I hope you don't have to go the caregiver route again.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I looked into an ALF for an older ill sibling. It was nice and cost wise - not too bad.

But even though she was willing to go to our local nursing home at one time, she said no to this. The local nursing home closed. It was basically just across the road from her house, so she wanted to stay close to home.
Ugh, I would not want to be in a nursing home unless I didn't know where I was! Nope, I hope I am in the ground before that!

Old 01-21-2022, 03:57 PM

If I go to a facility, It'd be in a good city, near better medical and public transport. Would all depend on why I was moving but I'd assume a need for more care resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement