Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 05:55 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times

Advertisements

I am moving into an ALF next month although I need very little, if any, care. I want to be where I can call for help if I happen to fall on the floor. Took me 2 hours to get back up onto my feet a few months ago. My housemates were of no use, they are older than me!!!

I chose one without all the bells and whistles, like a pool and gym. I have a pool now and in 5 years, I think I have gone in maybe a dozen times. It doesn't have a big communal dining room. Each floor has 4 "neighborhoods" each with their own dining room. They seat 10 people. I think it's great. I like my studio apartment. It's on the backside away from the traffic so it's quieter. I think my love bird and I will be happier. I am looking forward to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 06:03 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Good luck to you. I sometimes fantasize how much easier life would be in an ALF. No more cooking, cleaning, laundry or arranging for home repairs.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:11 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I am moving into an ALF next month although I need very little, if any, care. ... I am looking forward to this.
I look forward to your posts about your new living situation.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I look forward to your posts about your new living situation.
Thank you.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Good luck to you. I sometimes fantasize how much easier life would be in an ALF. No more cooking, cleaning, laundry or arranging for home repairs.
Yes! I AM looking forward to that too! I just have to get over a bad experience with a motel that had housekeeping when I was waiting for my house to be repaired. Jewelry was stolen.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:18 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
I sometimes think I will go right from my apt with the "stairs of death" and the knee high bathtub, into an ALF. But I really want to have a house in between.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:49 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
I am moving into an ALF next month although I need very little, if any, care. I want to be where I can call for help if I happen to fall on the floor. Took me 2 hours to get back up onto my feet a few months ago. My housemates were of no use, they are older than me!!!

I chose one without all the bells and whistles, like a pool and gym. I have a pool now and in 5 years, I think I have gone in maybe a dozen times. It doesn't have a big communal dining room. Each floor has 4 "neighborhoods" each with their own dining room. They seat 10 people. I think it's great. I like my studio apartment. It's on the backside away from the traffic so it's quieter. I think my love bird and I will be happier. I am looking forward to this.
Very nice. Sounds lovely.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Very nice. Sounds lovely.
Some of the nurses, the administrator, said I "look great!" I blush and say thank you. Meanwhile I am looking at other residents and saying to myself "they're so OLD!" Idk how old anyone is but I DO look great compared to them! The ones I spoke with are very nice and friendly, trobes.

VT, I had killer stairs last year when I went home to Mass. to visit a gf. The tub here is high too. It's tough getting in and out. Plus I have to share it with a dirty pig now too!!! That was the last straw. I out lasted the Alzheimer's cousin, then the demon grandchildren but now the "prodigal son" is here and he can do no wrong. I am outta here. I have already lost 2 battles with him according to daddy dearest. Anywho.....the new bathroom is great! Walk-in shower with a seat at each end. One for my fat tuschie and the other for my toiletries. So far, who knows what I will end up doing. Having a house....been there, done that most of my life......mowing lawn, shoveling driveway, stairs. That's okay when you are under 65 or so but I want to be lazy. Like the administrator said, "it's going to be like being on a cruise ship." I can do that!!!

Old 01-19-2022, 07:30 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Quote:
... Like the administrator said, "it's going to be like being on a cruise ship." I can do that!!!

Is it assisted living or independent living in a continuing care retirement place? I know a lot of people conflate the two, I thought they were different levels.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:30 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
Quote:
Yes! I AM looking forward to that too! I just have to get over a bad experience with a motel that had housekeeping when I was waiting for my house to be repaired. Jewelry was stolen.
You still need to be careful. My Mom was in an ALF, although she was probably worse than you physically as she fell 3 times in 2 weeks and could get up, and everyone there (supposedly) was great and vetted. I had all confidence until I went to a holiday party with my Mom and this one woman was showing off the rings that her "boyfriend" had given to her. They were identical to 2 rings that I allowed my mother to keep with her. I went back to her room and checked and sure enough those rings were missing along with another one which was a guard to go with the 2 ct Diamonique that she had. I lodged a complaint and the woman said my mother had given them to her (even though there is a rule against accepting items from rsidents and she was telling everybody she got them from her boyfriend). She was fired and I got the 2 rings back, but she had already sold the guard with tiny diamonds and emeralds. She was charged with theft and the court had her pay my Mom back in tiny monthly payments and got a slap on the wrist. Court didn't care that the victim was a senior citizen and I even testified against her about taking advantage of a senior. I bet the woman got a real shock when she found out the "huge" diamond was fake! Luckily my mother was a pack rat and kept every jewelry receipt. The woman would have gotten away with it had she not stuck them in my face and bragged about them and I hadn't been so observant. Not sure she realized I was the daughter as I had been talking to another lady beside me at the table.

When she had to be moved to a different ALF due to physical downturn I made sure she had nothing of value or would be any big loss. The only thing that happened there was that someone had knocked down a photo of my daughter and broke the glass and never reported it. The photo ended up being destroyed by moisture from cleaning solutions but it was only a copy, so no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement