Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 PM

7,880 posts, read 3,480,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Way too many unanswered questions. There are a number of critrria under which someone may qualify for benefits under another person's account. What is the specific category under which you ever qualified in the first place.

For example, if a step-child qualifies, that eligibility ends with divorce.

She'd qualify as a widow if her ex is deceased as early as 60 (for 75% of his benefit).

You should not care what your ex is qualified to receive on your account as it has Zero effect on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 09:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,224,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbienj View Post
I have looked through the SS website and I can not find how to get the numbers of what I could collect if I collected under my ex. We were married over 10 years and I have never remarried.

I think I see where HE could put in the info to find out but I can't ask him to do that.

Does anyone know the process to get that information?

I recently called the social security office in my city. First attempted call the woman refused to give me the info over the phone. Fifteen minutes later I called again and got another representative who did give me the needed info.

I provided over the phone:
1. My ex’s social security number.
2. Place of our marriage
3. His date of birth
4. Additional info on myself

In person before Covid:

1. Our divorcee decree
2. Marriage license
3. My birth certificate.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,464,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
If her ex is dead spousal ends when they do ….she may have gotten survivor benefits from him
This is it. This is what my friend did.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
I recently called the social security office in my city. First attempted call the woman refused to give me the info over the phone. Fifteen minutes later I called again and got another representative who did give me the needed info.

I provided over the phone:
1. My ex’s social security number.
2. Place of our marriage
3. His date of birth
4. Additional info on myself

In person before Covid:

1. Our divorcee decree
2. Marriage license
3. My birth certificate.
Can the SS office tell you if your Ex is dead?

Old 02-26-2022, 12:58 AM

23,946 posts, read 33,850,393 times
Quote:
Depends ….

You need to have been married 10 years ..

Then it matters how old you are .

If you were not at least 62 in 2015 and grand fathered in , then you cannot let your own ss grow and take half of your spouses .

As a spouse or ex spouse , If you missed the cutoff then you only get your own ss first , and if half your ex’s is more than your full you get the difference added to yours .

Those 62 in 2015 or older can leave theirs alone and take half the ex’s no matter if their own is larger or not. That is called filing restricted application.

It was killed off as an option unless you were grandfathered in

I have a question, not sure if you or anyone know.

Not sure if I ever posted about this here so I'll give a quick rundown.

I have a good friend Cathy who I've been helping for 10 years with her missing daughter. When she was 17, she was forced to put her daughter Alexis for adoption, the daughter went missing. She was adopted by a couple, the guy ended up being a sexual predator/abuser, he is currently serving two life sentences in Virginia for a brutal rape and murder in 1980, he just got up to 50 years added to it in Michigan for killing my friends daughter in 1989. He pushed her down the stairs, then cut her body up with an ax. He is going to be 73, his wife will be 71 in the next 2 weeks. Obviously his social security stopped.

I've heard their parent plus loan for their biological daughter who they had when they were older is in default. I assume they'll garnish at least her SS, unless she files to declare bankruptcy which she would probably win. I'll be surprised if she does, she's not too smart.

The question Cathy has is what is his wife entitled to with him never getting out of prison? They both were over 62 in 2015, so they would go by old rules. She could divorce him, like who wouldn't, but for some reason she is not. I wasn't sure if they would treat him and his SS differently since he will never get out of prison.

We do not know who's social security was higher. He was in prison for 5+ years when Alexis was in kindergarten for trying to rape a woman. After he got out, he held a pretty decent job, managed to work until he retired, so it is possible his is higher than the wife who worked at a department store.

He was also in the Navy, I know from about 1974 until 1980 when he brutally raped and murdered Kathleen on the Navy base in VA. He was on trial for trying to rape a girl at the time he murdered the Navy wife. I believe his prison sentence ended whatever Navy career he had. We don't know if he has military benefits too.

Alexis was in the Soul Asylum Runaway Train original version, shown as Aundria after the rape scene at 2:06. It always haunted us that she was after it, she had accused the adoptive "father" of sexual abuse, plus the brutal rape in VA. The rape scene was later removed from other versions of the video. If you ever wondered what happened to some of the kids from the video, unfortunately, Alexis wasn't one that made it home. She never really ran away.

I hear there is a movie in the works about Alexis.

Bowman pleads to 1989 murder of adopted daughter

Michigan man sentenced to 2 life terms, 20 years for 1980 local murder

Old 02-26-2022, 02:23 AM

107,479 posts, read 109,923,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
She'd qualify as a widow if her ex is deceased as early as 60 (for 75% of his benefit).

You should not care what your ex is qualified to receive on your account as it has Zero effect on you.
How much a survivor gets depends on what age their fra is

For someone who has an fra of 66 as an example , born between 1943 and 1954 they get 71.50% of the deceased fra at 60

I didn’t see an age listed so I am not sure where you got 75% without knowing their fra .

Survivor has totally different amounts involved then spousal does

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-26-2022 at 03:31 AM..

Old 02-26-2022, 03:35 AM

107,479 posts, read 109,923,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

Survivor is far more complex then this .

The rules are the same for an ex spouse and current spouse when it comes to survivor .

Unlike spousal benefits , survivor has two moving target amounts depending on who took what and when .

Depending on when the deceased filed and the survivor filed different base amounts are used .

As an example , if the deceased filed pre fra for social security and the survivor filed early , it is NOT based on what the deceased got .

to avoid double cuts where the deceased filed pre fra and the survivor files pre fra there is what is known as the widows floor …

That is a reduction off of fra and it avoids getting a steeper double cut when filing early is involved.

The deceased may be getting a reduced benefit because they filed early , but the widows floor is based on the fra amount not what the deceased was getting when the deceased filed for social security pre fra

The chart above reflects the widows floor as it is called , if they file pre fra.

So we can have a few different scenarios.

We can have have a situation where the deceased waited to file until fra and the survivor waited until fra .

In that case survivor is the same as the deceased got .

Then another where the deceased filed pre fra for social security and the survivor filed pre fra .

In that case the amount is based on the survivor fra less the widow floor deduction

Then we have the deceased filed after fra or has delayed credits and the survivor filed for survivor pre fra

The one case I am not 100% sure of is the last .

But , I think if the deceased has delayed credits because they filed after their fra and the survivor filed earlier then fra for survivor they get the widow floor reduction above off of the actual amount including delayed credits , but I have not seen any example on line of that situation but I believe that is how it works in that situation .

The fra amount is used when the deceased filed early and the delayed credits are used as the base amount if the deceased had delayed credits

Survivors also have the option of letting their own grow to 70 and taking survivor now if their own will be bigger

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-26-2022 at 04:49 AM..

Old 02-26-2022, 07:00 AM

7,549 posts, read 13,761,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have a question, not sure if you or anyone know.

The question Cathy has is what is his wife entitled to with him never getting out of prison? They both were over 62 in 2015, so they would go by old rules. She could divorce him, like who wouldn't, but for some reason she is not. I wasn't sure if they would treat him and his SS differently since he will never get out of prison.
His payments would stop, but a spouse could still get benefits based on his record.

See https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10133.pdf re "What Prisoners Need To Know" on page 2 where it says:

"benefits to your spouse or children will continue as long as they remain eligible"

Old 03-01-2022, 01:50 AM

Quote:

The rules are the same for an ex spouse and current spouse when it comes to survivor .

Unlike spousal benefits , survivor has two moving target amounts depending on who took what and when .

Depending on when the deceased filed and the survivor filed different base amounts are used .

As an example , if the deceased filed pre fra for social security and the survivor filed early , it is NOT based on what the deceased got .

to avoid double cuts where the deceased filed pre fra and the survivor files pre fra there is what is known as the widows floor …

That is a reduction off of fra and it avoids getting a steeper double cut when filing early is involved.

The deceased may be getting a reduced benefit because they filed early , but the widows floor is based on the fra amount not what the deceased was getting when the deceased filed for social security pre fra

The chart above reflects the widows floor as it is called , if they file pre fra.

We can have have a situation where the deceased waited to file until fra and the survivor waited until fra .

Then another where the deceased filed pre fra for social security and the survivor filed pre fra .

In that case the amount is based on the survivor fra less the widow floor deduction

Then we have the deceased filed after fra or has delayed credits and the survivor filed for survivor pre fra

But , I think if the deceased has delayed credits because they filed after their fra and the survivor filed earlier then fra for survivor they get the widow floor reduction above off of the actual amount including delayed credits , but I have not seen any example on line of that situation but I believe that is how it works in that situation .

The fra amount is used when the deceased filed early and the delayed credits are used as the base amount if the deceased had delayed credits

Survivors also have the option of letting their own grow to 70 and taking survivor now if their own will be bigger
I wonder what changes if the Ex was on disability? That will put another fly in the ointment. But, the key benefit would be being able to collect some amount between FRA and 70 while letting one's own benefit grow (or, in the case where 70+% of the ex spouse is more than the person's 100% at "FRA or+" benefit). 70+% would be better than 50% on a current spouse (making a ex worth more dead than alive (probably for more than one reason for the Ex of the Ex -- LOL)..

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 03-01-2022 at 02:01 AM..

Old 03-01-2022, 02:02 AM

Quote:

I wonder what changes if the Ex was on disability? That will put another fly in the ointment. But, the key benefit would be being able to collect some amount between FRA and 70 while letting one's own benefit grow (or, in the case where 70+% of the ex spouse is more than the person's 100% at "FRA or+" benefit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement