Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:00 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,373,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
With today's technology company can track your activities on the computer. Remember, you can't claim privacy when you're using company-issued equipment (computer).

Just to give an example, one of my previous employer tracked the time I login and logout, plus the time of inactivity. They also blocked certain social media websites so you can't go there. Beyond that, they lined up meeting schedules from 7am to 5pm. I had to eat lunch while attending meeting online. At anytime, you can see anyone in the company if they're logged on, logged off, or inactive (which means you have not move your mouse in 60 seconds). Many worked passed regular hours without overtime pay. You'll need to be "authorized" to receive OT pay.

So WFH is not all milk & honey & Apple pies. It depends on individual company culture & policy.
100 percent agree with the above. The company laptop is used by most WFH people specifically so the company can attach an electronic leash. The employer does not really care if the employee is physically at their own home, but they want them to be somewhere where the network connection is secure and fast enough to support the work being done. They would not want someone at Starbucks or other public place using the public open (unsecure) wifi. Most employers pay for a high speed internet connection to the residence of a WFH employee, mostly so they know it is a good and secure connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 02:07 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
100 percent agree with the above. The company laptop is used by most WFH people specifically so the company can attach an electronic leash. The employer does not really care if the employee is physically at their own home, but they want them to be somewhere where the network connection is secure and fast enough to support the work being done. They would not want someone at Starbucks or other public place using the public open (unsecure) wifi. Most employers pay for a high speed internet connection to the residence of a WFH employee, mostly so they know it is a good and secure connection.
Just open up that laptop right next to your computer at home and you can do both.

I was an engineer and some of my code compilations took 1/2 hour or more and so I'd go on my home computer and do stuff while waiting for the code to compile so I could test it.

WFH is not new and has been done by lots of people for decades. It's new to many due to the pandemic and they have found some of the freedom that WFH offers while still getting your work done.
And so now they don't want to go back to being stuck in an office for 8 hours.

I would be able to throw in a load of laundry or start dinner while working.
I could stop and go pick up my son from school so he didn't have to ride the bus for an hour to get home.
I was not customer facing so my hours were pretty flexible.

Smart companies will have employees using a custom VPN to connect even when you WFH to insure company security.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:18 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I get what the poster is trying to ask. And admit I also see more people of working age out and about during what used to be the core work hours of 8 to 6. More people run short errands during the day. Or pick up kids after school. As long as they have their phone or computer along. And hey you can do at home work while you cook dinner. Just be discreet. If you have two computers you can also contribute to forums in between phone calls. Yay. But remember when you worked in an office? You might have taken breaks too.

It’s the people whose jobs are partly physical who I admire. Lab workers. Cashiers. Farmers. Carpenters. Pilots. They are always giving 100%.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:27 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Add the growing gig economy and you have a lot more people who can define their own work hours.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:36 PM

587 posts, read 443,844 times
I work from home and do schedule my breaks so that I can grocery shop or run errands when it is less busy. I work in accounting for an engineering firm and all that matters to my boss is that the work gets done.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:45 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I was WFH 100% during most of the pandemic. Now I'm back in the office somewhat. On the days that I work from home, I realized I could flex my schedule. For instance, I get called to a lot of meetings during the traditional "lunchtime" due to working with people in various times zones. So, now, if I have an errand like a grocery store run, or I want to walk the dogs, I'll do it at 10AM. Technically my working hours, but I find the store less crowded so I like going there better. Then I come back and work through what would normally be my lunch.

I've also started going to the gym and I want to take advantage of lower crowds. So I'll go at 10AM, finish my 11:00. Either work through lunch or add an hour onto my day at the end.

Addressing the computer games: used to be I had to go sit in a very boring meeting at work in a large conference room and force myself to look interested when it was just some sales pitch or leadership pitch. Now that I can do those same briefings by Zoom, if the meeting is forced but not relevant to me, I can use my phone to do Wordle, play a game, scroll social media, etc. and still listen in. Can't do that in person. So that might be some of what you're seeing.

Patterns have definitely shifted.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:26 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Every job has its slackers, maybe you are seeing a few of those. Most people are working, they have "work" to be done. Even though they are working from home, they still need to produce their work.

My husband works from home. A few times a week he will go to the store during his lunch break. He couldn't do that when he was in his DC office.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:29 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It depends on what you do ….

It’s amazing how many who were working from home from our gym are no longer there now that they were called back in
Yeah, I was going to say that it might define how you define "home". Here, for many of the WFH people it encompassed a bar.

I do know that now, instead of having two defined times of ****ty traffic on the single main road in the County, that the traffic is ****ty throughout the day.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:34 PM

2,345 posts, read 614,301 times
I work for the National Park - on a Detail in NM - I am working from home for them - I am in TX now. Going to NM in June to work for a few weeks, then back home for that.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
With today's technology company can track your activities on the computer. Remember, you can't claim privacy when you're using company-issued equipment (computer).

Just to give an example, one of my previous employer tracked the time I login and logout, plus the time of inactivity. They also blocked certain social media websites so you can't go there. Beyond that, they lined up meeting schedules from 7am to 5pm. I had to eat lunch while attending meeting online. At anytime, you can see anyone in the company if they're logged on, logged off, or inactive (which means you have not move your mouse in 60 seconds). Many worked passed regular hours without overtime pay. You'll need to be "authorized" to receive OT pay.

So WFH is not all milk & honey & Apple pies. It depends on individual company culture & policy.
Yes—exactly
Know someone who works for IBM in teaching technology
She has screens for all her worker bees and can even tell when their eyes drift from their screens to their phones for example
Pretty ruthless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement