Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2022, 06:16 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Funny, when I left here yesterday at 2pm to get my grandson from school, I stopped in the local convenience store, the parking lot was packed. It's usually not that busy at 2. It was obvious who was working because they were in work clothes with their work vehicle outside, the majority of people who were work age, did not look like they were working. The high school hadn't gotten out so it wasn't teachers. They were dressed in casual clothes like people who do not work.

I believe someone also mentioned how congested the school pickup line was, it's similar for my grandson's school this year, there seems to be a lot more parents home, picking kids up from school then there usually was before COVID. The pickup lines were never 2 blocks long like it has been this year. I sit in line some days an hour and a half. There are usually 4 or 5 cars ahead of me, so they're getting there before 2pm. I have until about 20 after to be car 5 to 7, after that, both sides of the street start filling up, with the 2nd side being maxed out by 3. They get out at 3:25.

I don't know where all of these parents have come from that have over an hour to sit in the dismissal line. Even drop off in the morning can fill both sides of the street which is not typical of school before COVID. The drop off line only lasts from 8:30 to 8:50.

I haven't worked at a job in 20 years, there has always been people shopping or doing errands during the day that you could tell had just finished working because they were in their work clothes. It's obvious like seeing the amount of people I see in the convenience store who are there with their work vehicle. My son would be one of them, he's a Comcast tech. My hub worked nights running loads of new cars to dealers, getting up at 9pm, parked about 10am. He didn't wear a uniform like my son but he was most likely dirty, so people could tell he'd been working.

I'm not the type of person to be bothered by peoples comments unless they catch me on a very off day. I think it anything pushed my button it would be "young punk," especially if I was well into being an adult.

I may even mention that I worked all night. I may even say something like just because I'm buying it now doesn't mean I'm drinking it now or that it's even for me.

Like I've said, I'm talking about my area, where I have lived for 14 years.

As I've said, I haven't worked in many years so I'm able to go out at all different times, there is a difference between the amount of younger, work age people out driving and at stores during the day since COVID started.

I have not actually asked anyone why they're out lol

It's very possible other WFH people are doing the same thing, picking the hours they want to work every day which gives them time to be out during the day while kids are in school.
"Work clothes?" Other than if someone is wearing an obvious uniform, how do you determine what someone is wearing means they're working and taking a break? Dress codes at workplaces vary immensely, from what I can see.

And what's the dress code for WFH? My favorite WFH apparel pre- retirement was a T-shirt and cutoffs. It still is, for my WFH part time gig. I might even have to "dress up" a bit if I have to go out, since I wear stuff at home ( working or not) that I would rather not be seen in in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 06:23 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
I haven't worked at a job in 20 years
This explains it.

20 years is a long time. Much has changed. Being out of touch and stuck in the wayback machine is a thing that can and does happen. (Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999.)

Old 05-21-2022, 08:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 797,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not surprised by the replies lol I'm not surprised that some people who work still are replying.

When people stopped going to work because of active COVID, barely anyone was in the stores. It has increased since people got the vaccine, it has not died down to pre-COVID levels.
The vaccine that doesn't work? People are coming back into the stores because they realize the medical community has figured out how to treat this and it's not as deadly now as once thought.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:46 AM

1,305 posts, read 857,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This explains it.

20 years is a long time. Much has changed. Being out of touch and stuck in the wayback machine is a thing that can and does happen. (Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999.)
Well, this IS the retirement forum. I'm surprised at how many posters are still working. I think there is probably a big difference in opinion between those who are working, either from home or not, and those who are retired.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:53 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Well, this IS the retirement forum. I'm surprised at how many posters are still working. I think there is probably a big difference in opinion between those who are working, either from home or not, and those who are retired.

One can be retired AND not be out-of-touch with what are the norms around working/flex-time/working remotely/what people wear when WFH. Some people retired and went back to work part-time. Some who hang out on this subforum are many years, even a decade or 2 away from retirement.

However, someone who's been retired 20+ years and is not near a large city, is probably less informed about what are the norms for current white collar working folk than someone who entered retirement 3 to 7 years ago.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
One can be retired AND not be out-of-touch with what are the norms around working/flex-time/working remotely/what people wear when WFH. Some people retired and went back to work part-time. Some who hang out on this subforum are many years, even a decade or 2 away from retirement.

However, someone who's been retired 20+ years and is not near a large city, is probably less informed about what are the norms for current white collar working folk than someone who entered retirement 3 to 7 years ago.
Yes, anyone with adult children, friends and neighbors under the age of 60 etc. should be pretty clued into what's going on in the world of work.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:45 AM

13,079 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Tech, DS and his GF (permanent, we hope) go into their home offices in the morning, shut their doors and don't come out until lunch and bathroom breaks. DS quits at 5pm, GF finishes about 6pm unless must be done task not completed. Phones put on silent.
DS tried to go into the office early May, but discovered his who floor was just 5 people and no one from his work team. Nice building and location too.

GF goes into the office 1-2 times a week. Policy is 2 day per 2 weeks. Huge company, small groups. So she too may not see anyone from her workteam.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:50 AM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, anyone with adult children, friends and neighbors under the age of 60 etc. should be pretty clued into what's going on in the world of work.
I don't know, my adult children all have to go into a work location. The teacher did work from home for awhile, as did the Librarian for a shorter period of time, but that ended quite some time ago.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:00 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know, my adult children all have to go into a work location. The teacher did work from home for awhile, as did the Librarian for a shorter period of time, but that ended quite some time ago.
Plenty of work from home people did so BEFORE the pandemic. Since then, some companies have seen the benefits of it, and remained work from home.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-21-2022, 11:34 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I was responding in the context of the poster who assumed all the people she saw out and about during the day could not possibly be gainfully employed because of the way they were dressed/what cars they drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement