Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 11:05 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Interesting. Most of the jobs that I worked with computers there was very little mouse action going on. It was all tabbing. So my first thought is I would’ve gotten fired in the first week. I

I used to live in the bay area of California. There was a lot of gig economy going on, and also due to our massive traffic of which there was an amazing amount, I don’t really know the word for it — staggering starting time shifts. So your business might start at nine, other businesses start at eight, some of them start at 10.

Which meant rush-hour traffic on the Bay bridge was never an hour, it was more like five hours.

I have personally known about five people who worked from home. And I can attest there was no pussyfooting around. These people had deadlines, and phone calls to make, and one of them had to work the world so sometimes he started at midnight and was done at eight in the morning. They were also not entry-level workers. One of them is the owner of her own company, and she was the liaison between builders and banks.

So, for years for me and my late husband, the whole idea of that the mid day was somehow reserved for the retired was not a real thing. So OP, I think you’re thoughts on this are extremely old-fashioned.
In my previous company case, it almost rendered WFH a necessity. The company is located in Redondo Beach so commuting in & out fighting against LA rush hour traffic would be hellish. The company also has a division on the east coast and we collaborate on the project. The time difference & distance means we will spend the bulk of time on the phone & online anyway. Then the on-site is short on office space anyway. So all these formed a good case for WFH.

I think WFH is good if you have stand-alone task that you can do independently without too much interactions with others. But in our case it was a big engineering project. The nature of engineering project is they are highly integrated & highly interactive in arriving a solution. So this involves a lot of meetings online and share charts/ analysis. Another issue is engineers through conversations, identify additional tasks that needed to be done before we can answer questions and move onto to the next step. This makes managing individual tasks & time challenging, especially if you're isolated from each other. As a result, I was so busy that I didn't have time during the day to run errands or even take an hour for lunch.

This led to my thought on another disadvantage of WFH is managers can simply pile MORE TASKS on you without worrying if you can execute. This is especially the case where management have no appreciation of what it takes & how long it takes to accomplish a task. When reacting to pressure, it's easier just keep assigning them to someone you don't see and will not storm into your office to complain.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 05-22-2022 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 11:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Fixed it for ya
DH is from NJ and doesn't talk like that. He says that's a Brooklyn accent, lol. Maybe it depends on where in NJ you are. (he was closer to NYC) Although he does pronounce water like "wutter" and bury like "worry".

I see all ages out and about during "working hours" but pretty sure almost nobody is WFH here, lol. I really don't know how they make a living.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:25 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
DH is from NJ and doesn't talk like that. He says that's a Brooklyn accent, lol. Maybe it depends on where in NJ you are. (he was closer to NYC) Although he does pronounce water like "wutter" and bury like "worry".

I see all ages out and about during "working hours" but pretty sure almost nobody is WFH here, lol. I really don't know how they make a living.
This is more a US topic.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:27 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Tallysmom - may I adopt the term pussyfooting? It will not pass the current corporate mandate but mine:>)

Old 05-22-2022, 12:28 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Retirees (who have been retired at least 5 years so you know what it was like to be retired before Covid), based on your own observations when you are out and about during the day or when you are on the Internet, do you believe non-retirees are really working from home like they're supposed to be/say they are?

I don't. We used to have shopping time and "play time" to ourselves without traffic and crowded locations during 8:30A - 11:30A and 1:00P - 4:00P. Now it's like everyday is the weekend and I hate it. There is no longer a good time to do things.

Also, I used to play a computer trivia game when I knew people were at work so I would be playing with/against other retirees meaning we'd have about the same knowledge having lived through some of the trivia but less the speed (which also is part of the scoring). Now those non-retirees are playing during "working hours." I know because if you and the person they pit you against know all of the answers by category, the person who recalls the answer faster (you can tell by the score, example 990 vs 965) wins.

You don't have to weigh in on your opinion of it, if you don't want to. I just want to know I'm not imagining that there are people out and about during the day who should be working.
A few employees will probably slack off but for the most part if the employee did a good job at the office I think they will do a good job at home. If they have require very little interaction with co workers to do their job they may do a better job. I would expect most to find times when doing their work outside of the normal business hours beneficial is helpful. This could also be helpful for employers with employees in different time zones.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:59 PM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Fixed it for ya
Sure sign of someone who watches too much TV.

Nobody actually from NJ says that.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:07 PM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Yeah. We tawk funny in some ways (but how else would one say "bury"?) but nobody from New Jersey anywhere that I've ever met on 63 years says "Joisey" unless they came from Brooklyn, and even that died out maybe 40 years ago. NJ people in fact clearly say their Rs, which some other accents such as NY or Boston or Maine do not.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Tallysmom - may I adopt the term pussyfooting? It will not pass the current corporate mandate but mine:>)
Absolutely. It comes from around the time of prohibition but I’m nowhere near that old.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:51 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
I worked from home several years BC, “before Covid”, and loved it so much, it extended my career two years after my planned retirement age of 60.

As I moved into retirement, MrsK7 took a WHF job that gave her a nice raise. She continues to WHF and the business has zero plans to bring them back. They were all hired as WHF and the business has sufficient metrics to insure only the productive employees are retained as their business goes a slowdown as interest rates tick upwards.

MrsK7 is productive and protective of her WHF routines. Typically, I keep the interruptions to a minimum and when I go into her home office, I do not interrupt her thought process. Once she starts the conversation, we usually talk only for a moment or two. She, as a non-English native speaker, works extra hard to insure she has no errors as she performs her underwriting duties.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:40 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It might be that it's not due to WFH but that these people aren't working at all (have no job).

I do have to agree with you that there are more people out and about during core working hours now. A lot of young people. I see all these young women lollygagging around in Target without a care in the world. That's not someone who's got to get back to work. I work from home and if I do go out to run an errand, I'm hurrying to get it done and get back to work. I suspect a lot of people just aren't working. A few friends of mine have adult children who are "taking a break" from their jobs.

Of course, some people work evenings or nights but that was the same in the past so the increase in people in the stores is not due to shift work. That would have remained constant.

I see young couples out strolling down the street at core working hours--10 AM, 11 AM. I'm mystified if they even work. I don't get it.
Am I detecting some envy? You would hate the hours I keep. I work when I want and slack off the rest of the time. You should try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement