Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 11:37 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, just finished everything I planned to accomplish at work today and it's only 1:30. Heading out to the grocery store, dispensary, and dog park now. Then picking up my son in law at the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Now it's like everyday is the weekend and I hate it. There is no longer a good time to do things.
Au contriare mon ami. EVERY time is now a good time to do things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 11:59 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hey guys, just finished everything I planned to accomplish at work today and it's only 1:30. Heading out to the grocery store, dispensary, and dog park now. Then picking up my son in law at the airport.

Over achiever :>) Have fun

Old 05-23-2022, 01:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think the point the OP was trying to make is that the 'less busy' times are disappearing post covid, in part because there are many more people working from home and able to set their own hours. I've definitely noticed the same thing the OP has.
I will add that I also think in some cases it also has to do with a rather large influx of people moving to new areas. I live in the same state as the Op and have observed that not only is there a large increase in traffic during the day, many of those vehicles are sporting out of state tags from far reaching states.
I don't think so. The OP seems to be trying to claim that people aren't "really" working from home and that they're somehow "getting away" with spending their time in stores and playing computer games while somehow convincing their employers that they're working. And she seems not to understand at all that most who work from home set their own hours.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:40 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Still trying to figure out why this was even a question!!

Old 05-23-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I'm going to the beach.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:55 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Retirees (who have been retired at least 5 years so you know what it was like to be retired before Covid), based on your own observations when you are out and about during the day or when you are on the Internet, do you believe non-retirees are really working from home like they're supposed to be/say they are?

I don't. We used to have shopping time and "play time" to ourselves without traffic and crowded locations during 8:30A - 11:30A and 1:00P - 4:00P. Now it's like everyday is the weekend and I hate it. There is no longer a good time to do things.

Also, I used to play a computer trivia game when I knew people were at work so I would be playing with/against other retirees meaning we'd have about the same knowledge having lived through some of the trivia but less the speed (which also is part of the scoring). Now those non-retirees are playing during "working hours." I know because if you and the person they pit you against know all of the answers by category, the person who recalls the answer faster (you can tell by the score, example 990 vs 965) wins.

You don't have to weigh in on your opinion of it, if you don't want to. I just want to know I'm not imagining that there are people out and about during the day who should be working.
My answer is those who slacked off in the workplace, will really slack off at home where nobody sees them and tell their boss (or whatever the person in charge is called these days). They “had too much to do to meet goals”, or the internet froze and they couldn’t get their assigned tasks done”.

DH still works full time at 74, because he is hyper and because he loves his job. A 30-something person told one of owners last week that he “——could only work a certain three days every week because his wife was doing something and couldn’t watch the three kids. One of those days he could work was Saturday. Big deal, their department isn’t open on Saturday. The owner finally got a set and told the kid he wasn’t needed anymore.

The kid can’t get a job working from home because he doesn’t have that sort of education; if he could he might give it a few hours and play on-line games the rest of the time he was getting paid to work, since he was on his cell phone most of the day anyway, from DH’s observation. I’m sure, however, they will figure out how to work the system to get checks in the mailbox, allowing him to be one more non-retiree free to roam the stores, with children in tow, during “our” hours.

FWIW, neither one of us can stand the crowds in the stores these days - I only go if I have to and DH will happily get up at six in the morning, on the weekend, to get groceries while I am in the barn mucking stalls.

Speaking of barns — we put hay up this weekend and I mean “we”. The very hard working young man who always helps us could not find one single person to help stack hay for an hour and get paid rocket science wages. I walk with a cane but there I was with a hay hook pulling hay down off the race car trailer, dragging the last of the load to the end of the trailer, so the young man could heave the bales at my husband —- who stacked them.

I am not at all happy with the “what can you do for me next” attitude of so many of the young people. Puts me in mind of the old Dire Straits song “Money for nothing”.

Apologies that I sort of got off the OP’s original question but it does all tie together, IMO

Old 05-23-2022, 02:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm going to the beach.
My sister is done with work for the day, she took the dogs to the park.... and she may even grocery shop.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-23-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
My answer is those who slacked off in the workplace, will really slack off at home where nobody sees them and tell their boss (or whatever the person in charge is called these days). They “had too much to do to meet goals”, or the internet froze and they couldn’t get their assigned tasks done”.

DH still works full time at 74, because he is hyper and because he loves his job. A 30-something person told one of owners last week that he “——could only work a certain three days every week because his wife was doing something and couldn’t watch the three kids. One of those days he could work was Saturday. Big deal, their department isn’t open on Saturday. The owner finally got a set and told the kid he wasn’t needed anymore.

The kid can’t get a job working from home because he doesn’t have that sort of education; if he could he might give it a few hours and play on-line games the rest of the time he was getting paid to work, since he was on his cell phone most of the day anyway, from DH’s observation. I’m sure, however, they will figure out how to work the system to get checks in the mailbox, allowing him to be one more non-retiree free to roam the stores, with children in tow, during “our” hours.

FWIW, neither one of us can stand the crowds in the stores these days - I only go if I have to and DH will happily get up at six in the morning, on the weekend, to get groceries while I am in the barn mucking stalls.

Speaking of barns — we put hay up this weekend and I mean “we”. The very hard working young man who always helps us could not find one single person to help stack hay for an hour and get paid rocket science wages. I walk with a cane but there I was with a hay hook pulling hay down off the race car trailer, dragging the last of the load to the end of the trailer, so the young man could heave the bales at my husband —- who stacked them.

I am not at all happy with the “what can you do for me next” attitude of so many of the young people. Puts me in mind of the old Dire Straits song “Money for nothing”.

Apologies that I sort of got off the OP’s original question but it does all tie together, IMO

Those aren't "your" hours.

There was a labor shortage before COVID, by the way.

You might consider getting Instacart since you can't stand the stores. I've been doing that for years. Leaves me more time for the beach and other pleasant pastimes. If you're out of Instacart's range or it's too expensive for you, Misfit's Market, Schwann's, and other services send items right to your door.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My sister is done with work for the day, she took the dogs to the park.... and she may even grocery shop.
My dog has an appointment with the groomer this afternoon. We might hit the park afterward, or I might go to the wine bar. No grocery shopping here, but I have Instacart scheduled for tomorrow around noon.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Well, if retirees find other people shopping during "their" hours (), then they should find 24 hours grocery store and shop around 1am. As retirees, we don't have to be anywhere the next day, so it is the least we can do.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement