Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 06:08 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
My job moved me from San Francisco to Tennessee. I’m still being paid San Francisco money.
Did I say "all". Or did I say that some businesses were starting to either cut pay or were at least look at it?

Pro Tip:
Industry has always paid less for the same jobs in different parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 07:03 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I thought basically Federal jobs were the ones who had a specific amount for COLA? I know the military got a COLA stipend for living in Hawaii, and it was a good chunk, off the top of my head... the FBI too.

Otherwise, it is just the market rate for whatever job, in whatever locale.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-25-2022, 07:11 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
We get $50/month for added utilities costs from working at home and have been since mid-2020. We also have a full computer set-up and printer provided for home.
You must work for a far better employer than any I've ever worked for. Other than the dock, laptop, and monitors, I've never had anything provided.

I've never had a company provided phone. The expectation has always been to use your personal phone for work-related business.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:36 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I thought basically Federal jobs were the ones who had a specific amount for COLA? I know the military got a COLA stipend for living in Hawaii, and it was a good chunk, off the top of my head... the FBI too.

There are companies which pay the equivalent of Cola or use Fed numbers for their compensation calculation.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:13 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

You probably meant "locality pay" that adjust basic pay for a GS grade with different part of country. FBI pay is a part of civil service pay system.

COLA is the annual salary adjustment based on "cost of living". The increase is across the board for all salary level.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your comment about the government is interesting in light of this:
https://www.federalpay.org/gs/locality

Although you likely won't read it, either.
Well, I actually read this one

When I moved from Alabama back to California with the government, my salary got a big bump simply because of the locality pay difference, as much as $12K - $15K.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
My job moved me from San Francisco to Tennessee. I’m still being paid San Francisco money.
Yeah that's smart. You're effectively getting a big raise as your cost of living is so much lower in Tennessee.

A colleague did something smart. She transferred from Alabama to the Bay area for her government job thus getting a big bump on her pay. Several years later, she retired but her pension pay also became much higher because it uses the highest 3 years pay average to calculate her LIFE TIME payments

Old 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times
A LONG time ago...
--and LONG is capitalized intentionally, for emphasis (this was in the 1980s)--
I worked with a woman, who was dating the owner at a 30-person professional firm, and she had appointed herself office manager. She would not abide ANY personal business during workdays.

No personal phone calls, no browsing catalogs for personal items (this was pre-internet), certainly no personal use of company equipment, like the photocopier. Definitely no newspaper reading.

And she cross-checked that phone bill every month like a hawk. LOL.

We were allowed to come in on the weekend if we needed to use the office equipment (copier/ typewriter) for personal business. But we had to reimburse the company ten cents per page IIRC.

When the internet came along later, from what I heard, she prohibited anyone from sending e-mails directly. They all had to go through her account first. Nobody had direct internet access, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What? LOL. I have never worked ANYWHERE that I could not accomplish personal tasks during the day. In my work, long hours and after hours work is fairly common, and it's absurd to expect a person to not be able so take care of important personal tasks that simply cannot be done at other times. I was able to flex my time as needed, as were all of my co-workers, to address these needs. Working from home simply allowed me to be even more productive in both work and personally since I no longer had to prepare for work, commute to and from, and my gas station trips were cut way down too.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:38 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Both my BIL and SIL work from home. BIL is in information technology with an insurance company and SIL (gasp) works for IRS. I know they are actually working, not just playing computer games or shopping online.
a good friend of 30 plus yrs was a Sr. Manager with IRS. He quit near end of COVID lockdowns due to frustration that Gov't was not working. People were getting paid but not doing much work. He hated that reality and went to work in private industry.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:48 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
A LONG time ago...
--and LONG is capitalized intentionally, for emphasis (this was in the 1980s)--
I worked with a woman, who was dating the owner at a 30-person professional firm, and she had appointed herself office manager. She would not abide ANY personal business during workdays.

No personal phone calls, no browsing catalogs for personal items (this was pre-internet), certainly no personal use of company equipment, like the photocopier. Definitely no newspaper reading.

And she cross-checked that phone bill every month like a hawk. LOL.

We were allowed to come in on the weekend if we needed to use the office equipment (copier/ typewriter) for personal business. But we had to reimburse the company ten cents per page IIRC.

When the internet came along later, from what I heard, she prohibited anyone from sending e-mails directly. They all had to go through her account first. Nobody had direct internet access, either.
They used to have a system on our phone where if you a) made more than 20 phone calls a month to the same number, and/or b) had any non-business calls that lasted more than 20 minutes, you had to pay for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement