Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2022, 10:02 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I personally do not enjoy WFH.

Yes the benefit of not driving to work is a big plus, especially if you live in major traffic congested city like LA. But there are more negatives that out weight the benefits, IMO, particular if you join a new company with new coworkers.

You miss the facial and the non-verbal communications. The "small talks" of getting to know each others, etc. All these help to build new relationship in a new work environment and "team building". To some extent, doing lunch together or after-work social are important of work life as well.

I recalled forming life-long bonds with coworkers when I was in my early 20s. As we moved on but maintain contacts, they've become important professional network as we trust each other. I don't know how young people these days can develop this friendship and network by WFH.
There are a couple generations in the workforce now who go to work "to work and not socialize" and seemingly don't realize that those "soft skills" many times determine how far you go in the organization.

You see it all the time in this forum, someone complaining that a coworker is being "nosy" because they were asked how the weekend was or if they have any plans for a holiday.

Now, I'll admit to not really socializing much with my colleagues at my last school (was there for 25 years). There were a couple reasons: when I first got there the staff was very cliquish and didn't really welcome new people, especially if they weren't known prior to being assigned there. The other reason was that cliquishness led to so much interpersonal drama that I didn't want to be a part of it.

In my personal life I was a local elected official and in that capacity you have to keep the thought in the back of your mind that whomever you're socializing with, especially if they initiated it, will at some time want a "favor".

I will say that in the 3 1/2 years I've been out of office I haven't been invited to any Christmas parties, baseball, football and hockey games, anniversary parties, etc. Not a one. Hmmm.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-20-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 10:13 AM

18,105 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Working remote is not a new thing. People who are pushing 70 and older might think it is, but no, it isn't.

I remember regularly working remote once a week starting in 1997. The technology has been in place to connect to corp networks 25+ years, and that was years before broadband.

There's a certain manager type who believes if they can't see butts in seats every day in the office, it means the person simply is not working. They tend to be the micromanagers, bean counters, time clock types. Flexibility is not something they deal well with. They don't think in terms of results, they think in terms of hours spent at the office.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:32 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,079 times
My daughter is a college administrator on a hybrid schedule. Usually 2 days per week in office, 3 days WFH. She's married to a lawyer who WFH, drops by the office when necessary and has to travel maybe once per month. I know they're working because they had to rearrange the workspaces due to the distraction of being in online meetings at the same time. They both walk to work when they have to go in so no traffic from them.

Traffic could be anyone. There are a lot of workers who have to be on the road visiting clients locally. Realtors, visiting nurses, therapists, salespeople, etc.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:45 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
In 2021 an extra million people retired than projections from the previous year.

There are more of us out there now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-20-2022, 11:53 AM

4,549 posts, read 2,273,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Nobody should still be WFH. What are they afraid of.
80% of my company works from home. I have been working from home since 2005. Not afraid of anything.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:07 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
I'm not surprised by the replies lol I'm not surprised that some people who work still are replying.

When people stopped going to work because of active COVID, barely anyone was in the stores. It has increased since people got the vaccine, it has not died down to pre-COVID levels.

It is not retired people that I am seeing out and about whether on the roads or shopping in my area, it is also including younger people who should have gone back to work.

I've always worked a physical job, so did my hub and my son is still out there, when we were at work, we were working.

I can't know what legit WFH people do with their companies while they're out and about; thankfully I'm not their boss. This is all foreign to me. We will eventually see if the amount of people out during the day changes within the next year or so if more people get called back in. I saw google (I think) wanted people back but they got push back from them.

I don't doubt some are putting in different hours working from home. I'm up during the night and early morning.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:40 PM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:

Wut????

You've read all these posts and still think people like WFH because they're afraid of something????,

People like it of the fkexibility and autonomy it gives them to do their jobs and manage their time. As long as you meet or exceed your employer's expectations, it's a great way to go.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:54 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I dunno...

The thread reeks of "Get off my lawn!!!!"

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-20-2022, 12:59 PM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not surprised by the replies lol I'm not surprised that some people who work still are replying.

When people stopped going to work because of active COVID, barely anyone was in the stores. It has increased since people got the vaccine, it has not died down to pre-COVID levels.

It is not retired people that I am seeing out and about whether on the roads or shopping in my area, it is also including younger people who should have gone back to work.

I've always worked a physical job, so did my hub and my son is still out there, when we were at work, we were working.

I can't know what legit WFH people do with their companies while they're out and about; thankfully I'm not their boss. This is all foreign to me. We will eventually see if the amount of people out during the day changes within the next year or so if more people get called back in. I saw google (I think) wanted people back but they got push back from them.

I don't doubt some are putting in different hours working from home. I'm up during the night and early morning.
As numerous posters ( including me) have stated, depending on the job, WFH can can bring a great deal of flexibility with how and when the job is done. That can include working outside traditional office hours, going out between tasks to run errands ( many of which can only be done during "regular working hours"), taking a break after completion of a major task ( you think people in an office or other workplace setting don't do this?).

I worked from home ( between being on the road, and attending occasional meetings at the office) for my last job long before
covid covid covid all the time, but at that time my employer saw the benefits and cost savings of having employees work at home. They expected more productivity ( and they sure got it from me) with not having the long commute to the office, and they expected accountability as far as getting the work done timely and being available to management, clients as needed. Any employee who would not or could not deliver was not allowed to WFH, and I knew a couple of people who were not allowed to continue WFH, one eventually terminated altogether because of failure to meet the requirements of their job descriptions.

From what others have said here, that same accountability to meet job expections still exists for people who WFH these days.

Of course I'm speaking of jobs that can be done remotely.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:01 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Why do you make such an assumption that fear is the reason?

My friend who works for the DOJ is working from home forever. She lives in Arlington, VA. The government closed their offices in DC because almost everything they do can be done electronically, and if they need any in-person meetings, they will convene at a govt facility in Alexandria.

Some employers are letting leases lapse and saving money by allowing employees to continue to work at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement