Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 11:23 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
After five years and two months of retirement, I'm going to work part-time. I need the money and a part-time job that is pretty ideal has come my way. Home health RN for veterans, partnered with the VA Hospital. I bumped into the job on Indeed.com and got the offer yesterday (minus the actual money involved, that will come with the paperwork).

I am finished with high-stress psychiatric work (there is one job 26 miles away that made my hair stand on end). I have done hospice and end of life care in geriatrics, but not home care. I am concerned about my own
spending and more so at the thought of being short of money at an age where I can't drive so far or work. (am currently 70, that is, in a few weeks).

I have an old RN friend who did home health in psych in Florida and now schedules home health aides for a living. He is a great resource.

I hope to get maybe two clients on Tuesday afternoon and two on Thursday (clients are scattered pretty far away and there will be a lot of driving, up to 50 miles each way). I apparently can pick my days and hours between Mon-Fri, 8-5, so no nighttime driving.

I am committed to veterans' well being and look forward to feeling useful. And to getting paid.
Congrats on getting the job, and I hope it is fulfilling, both personally and financially.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:29 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
OK, I admit it: I'm envious!

I have "work" -- running my jewelry business -- but I could do so much more.

I'm very happy for you. Will someone take care of your pups while you're away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 11:36 AM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
^^^
I'll only be gone about 4 hours an afternoon if two visits in an afternoon. I do have a dog sitter who can come in and let the gang out if need be but they should be okay without it. I realize it sounds like a lot of driving and all but nothing is close to anything where I am here. No highways/interstate, just a two-lane road to the town of Montrose (26 miles). I'm going for a doctor checkup today and it's 27 miles.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:59 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
After five years and two months of retirement, I'm going to work part-time. I need the money and a part-time job that is pretty ideal has come my way. Home health RN for veterans, partnered with the VA Hospital. I bumped into the job on Indeed.com and got the offer yesterday (minus the actual money involved, that will come with the paperwork).

I am finished with high-stress psychiatric work (there is one job 26 miles away that made my hair stand on end). I have done hospice and end of life care in geriatrics, but not home care. I am concerned about my own
spending and more so at the thought of being short of money at an age where I can't drive so far or work. (am currently 70, that is, in a few weeks).

I have an old RN friend who did home health in psych in Florida and now schedules home health aides for a living. He is a great resource.

I hope to get maybe two clients on Tuesday afternoon and two on Thursday (clients are scattered pretty far away and there will be a lot of driving, up to 50 miles each way). I apparently can pick my days and hours between Mon-Fri, 8-5, so no nighttime driving.

I am committed to veterans' well being and look forward to feeling useful. And to getting paid.
Well done. I'm trying to sell and move this year, if it works out. When I get re-settled, I'm going to try to find a part time job myself. I worked in the legal field, but that's too stressful for me to return to. So maybe something completely different. But that depends on who wants me, and what I can find.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:19 PM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
^^^
I thought of waiting tables in a small upscale bistro nearby- not a big busy place. Just worried about how tiring it might be. But the new job is an hour per visit (including documentation time) and driving time (which I gather is tax deductible). I get it that whatever you used to do is too stressful. I could not work nights and psychiatric again no matter what (would get a reverse mortgage before doing that). The one psychiatric job 26 miles away, full time, said to be prepared to deal with clients who are enraged, inebriated or intoxicated. No thanks. Give me veterans who appreciate the help.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
I am so happy for you. Another adventure. I have to admit, I am envious, too.

The choices I made years ago were poor, I listened to the wrong people (who had their own agendas).

Please let us know how it all goes for you.

I think you are doing the right thing.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:17 PM

1,385 posts, read 726,706 times
Sounds like a win-win. The veterans get help and you make some extra cash.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:30 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Congrats!! In the 11 years of retirement I have either taught online or did consulting for all but 3 of them. Right now I am consulting 5-10 hours a week. It really is a good balance.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
After five years and two months of retirement, I'm going to work part-time. I need the money and a part-time job that is pretty ideal has come my way. I...look forward to feeling useful. And to getting paid.
Happy for you. And envious! Retirement is definitely overrated.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:41 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
^^^
I thought of waiting tables in a small upscale bistro nearby- not a big busy place. Just worried about how tiring it might be. But the new job is an hour per visit (including documentation time) and driving time (which I gather is tax deductible). I get it that whatever you used to do is too stressful. I could not work nights and psychiatric again no matter what (would get a reverse mortgage before doing that). The one psychiatric job 26 miles away, full time, said to be prepared to deal with clients who are enraged, inebriated or intoxicated. No thanks. Give me veterans who appreciate the help.

I hope it works out better for you than you could ever have hoped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement