Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 04:47 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,129,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^^
I thought of waiting tables in a small upscale bistro nearby- not a big busy place. Just worried about how tiring it might be. But the new job is an hour per visit (including documentation time) and driving time (which I gather is tax deductible). I get it that whatever you used to do is too stressful. I could not work nights and psychiatric again no matter what (would get a reverse mortgage before doing that). The one psychiatric job 26 miles away, full time, said to be prepared to deal with clients who are enraged, inebriated or intoxicated. No thanks. Give me veterans who appreciate the help.

Just thinking ahead, what about winter? I have lived in Colorado and there are going to be winter days when driving out to your people will not be practical. Do you have a plan for that, maybe a check in by phone or something like that? And will you get a mileage reimbursement?

I know you have a Subaru, and that's a good car for snow and all, but, when you get a sudden snow dump, and you have the inevitable few people who have no idea how to drive in snow but are going to get out there anyway...

All that said glad for you and hope you can make it work even in winter. It's a good job that uses your strong skills in a good cause.

The 26 mile drive to the full time psych job, yeah, that stikes me as a non-starter and would be a better job for someone more able to manhandle drunk and enraged guys, if they can find anyone who wants to do that.

That said, waiting tables in an upscale place sometimes pays very well in tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 05:16 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Just filled out the enormous application paperwork. Having all sorts of trepidation that I haven't done in-hospital medical care much (psychiatric sent the patients out to medical) and all kinds of anxiety!

I don't think retirement is overrated but being sorta broke is, for me.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Just thinking ahead, what about winter? I have lived in Colorado and there are going to be winter days when driving out to your people will not be practical. Do you have a plan for that, maybe a check in by phone or something like that? And will you get a mileage reimbursement?

I know you have a Subaru, and that's a good car for snow and all, but, when you get a sudden snow dump, and you have the inevitable few people who have no idea how to drive in snow but are going to get out there anyway...

All that said glad for you and hope you can make it work even in winter. It's a good job that uses your strong skills in a good cause.

The 26 mile drive to the full time psych job, yeah, that stikes me as a non-starter and would be a better job for someone more able to manhandle drunk and enraged guys, if they can find anyone who wants to do that.

That said, waiting tables in an upscale place sometimes pays very well in tips.

If the sheriff's office says stay off the road, I won't drive in and will ask that someone else tend to the client if they can't wait a day or so for the road to clear. It's a concern. I am gathering that I keep track of mileage and that goes to my taxes next year. (not reimbursements. The driving cost is part of the good hourly wage that I am quoted.

I am anxious.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:32 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:
Just filled out the enormous application paperwork. Having all sorts of trepidation that I haven't done in-hospital medical care much (psychiatric sent the patients out to medical) and all kinds of anxiety!

You will do great!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You will do great!

Thank you!

Old 03-07-2023, 05:46 PM

21,952 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think it's not just about the money, as you would probably concede? It's about having a purpose and using your innate gifts and acquired skills and doing something worthwhile for others and giving your life meaning, as well.

Otherwise, the reverse mortgage would be a lot easier!

Old 03-07-2023, 09:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Quote:

The anxiety won’t leave unless you either give the job a good try or you stop right now. And then you might have second thoughts about that, and third thoughts, and...

Being broke or nearly so is only fun in long-ago-never-again hindsight. Had my share of it earlier in life and do not want to repeat.

Good luck whatever you choose.

That job 26 miles away conjures up visions of a big muscular bouncer dude more than anything else. Hey, now, THERE’S a job for robots...never feel any physical pain or emotional stress from dealing with nasty, violent, irrational people...unlimited possibilities for upping the power output...will never sue the facility’s management...does not require days off...does not need meal or bathroom breaks...

Then again, a robot might not actually make the patient’s condition improve. They’re gonna need astronomically better AI to make one that can genuinely emulate a human.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:53 PM

740 posts, read 474,723 times
My prediction is that you will find a 'second wind,' that will contribute not only to your finances, but more importantly to your self-esteem and give a little bit more zest to your life as you meet new people, make new friends, face new challenges and find yourself to be more than capable of taking a new turn down the road of life. Change can be harder as we grow older but it can be re-invigorating as well.

It takes guts to venture down a new road. You're well ahead in the game of life simply by trying.

And for those who try to go down a new road in their lives, some reward will inevitably emerge, manifesting in one form or another.

kudos!

Old 03-07-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
My prediction is that you will find a 'second wind,' ...

It takes guts to venture down a new road. You're well ahead in the game of life simply by trying.

And for those who try to go down a new road in their lives, some reward will inevitably emerge, manifesting in one form or another.

kudos!
I sure hope so. As the night wears on, I lose my nerve! For me, moving the Colorado was a big enough change but it's been five years since that. Thank you for the encouragement.

Old 03-08-2023, 12:58 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Otherwise, the reverse mortgage would be a lot easier!
yes, or maybe a Home Equity Loan or HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement