Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 12:20 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so i thought i had another implant canal infection .

off and on since thanksgiving my inside gum would get very puffy just like the implant infection i had a few years ago which resulted in losing the implant .

so i kind of gave my body a chance to see if it would clear up and it didn’t . i felt no pain and i was in no hurry to do another implant surgery so i put it on the back burner .

finally my wife had a dental appointment the ther day for her semi annual cleaning so i made an appointment…

turns out the implant is fine but the gum had the infection .

what is so amazing to me is that my body had 4 months to deal with this and couldn’t stop it .

within two days of taking an antibiotic it was gone ….just crazy i couldn’t do it in 4 months

I get chronic sinus infections. I am also immunocompromised (taking antibiotics all the time is a bad idea). I can tell you that I have figured out a couple of methods for getting rid of those infections. #1 Odorless Garlic Tablets (a lot of them up to about a dozen three times a day). #2 5 day water only fast.

Not such a big deal to take antibiotics once in 3-5 years; but, you do need to get veggies (prebiotics) and probiotics back in you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 10:10 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,575 times
I found the best way not to lose teeth as you age is to keep them in a glass right next to the bed. Works like a charm.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:11 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
To those with dentures, how did you get used to wearing them? Mine make me want to gag. So far I can only wear one at a time usually the top. I'm only wearing it while being in the house. They're just so foreign to me that I feel like I'm wearing those plastic vampire teeth we had as kids.

I will be looking into implant dentures again at some point. I don't see myself being used to the regular dentures.

Last teeth were pulled in December so my mouth is pretty much healed. I've had the dentures for two weeks. Didn't wear then the first, they needed cut down, the pallet was too long, it got my gag started. The bottom cut into my gums which my dentist fixed.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:12 PM

721 posts, read 598,028 times
My husband is deliberating between a full denture and full upper implants, and his dentist asked about whether he had a gag reflex. He has no sense of having one or having ever had one. Did you experience a gag reflex in the past when you were having any dental work done or a doctor looking down your throat, or has it come as a surprise? Another thing my husband's dentist said is that the height of your palate can influence how secure/comfortable your denture might feel. (Higher is better.) Also, of course, there is a bit of a curve in getting used to it.

My husband needs to make a decision... hard to do for a number of reasons.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:58 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
My husband is deliberating between a full denture and full upper implants, and his dentist asked about whether he had a gag reflex. He has no sense of having one or having ever had one. Did you experience a gag reflex in the past when you were having any dental work done or a doctor looking down your throat, or has it come as a surprise? Another thing my husband's dentist said is that the height of your palate can influence how secure/comfortable your denture might feel. (Higher is better.) Also, of course, there is a bit of a curve in getting used to it.

I hated the upper dentures that I had to use waiting for the bone graft to heal. They are difficult to keep in especially while speaking to an audience while giving a presentation. Sometimes you can feel them coming loose and you have to quickly cover your mouth and bite down. Also, you must be very selective in ordering at a restaurant. If he can go for the implants.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:07 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
To those with dentures, how did you get used to wearing them? Mine make me want to gag. So far I can only wear one at a time usually the top. I'm only wearing it while being in the house. They're just so foreign to me that I feel like I'm wearing those plastic vampire teeth we had as kids.

I will be looking into implant dentures again at some point. I don't see myself being used to the regular dentures.

Last teeth were pulled in December so my mouth is pretty much healed. I've had the dentures for two weeks. Didn't wear then the first, they needed cut down, the pallet was too long, it got my gag started. The bottom cut into my gums which my dentist fixed.
I also had high gag reflex. I had a set fitted, so since they wouldn't alter for free, I shaved out the roof section and trimmed off the back. Then with various grip helpers. I could wear them easily.

But eating was still impossible. So I only will wear them for "Show" I'd quietly remove them to eat. Washing out the mouth later, then reinserting them.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:04 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post

No, never had gag issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I also had high gag reflex. I had a set fitted, so since they wouldn't alter for free, I shaved out the roof section and trimmed off the back. Then with various grip helpers. I could wear them easily.

But eating was still impossible. So I only will wear them for "Show" I'd quietly remove them to eat. Washing out the mouth later, then reinserting them.
Thanks for the input. I'm clueless how I'll eat with them, figured I'll probably remove them when I do.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
A friend of mine who is 72 (still her high school weight) is a definite type a personality. She overworked herself into injury, etc.

Anywho... ...the other day she told me that she has been brushing her teeth for 15 minutes once a day (I guess not as long the second time). She said that she went to the doctor and was able to skip an annual cleaning...

I have started to up the time I brush my teeth gradually.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:14 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
A friend of mine who is 72 (still her high school weight) is a definite type a personality. She overworked herself into injury, etc.

Anywho... ...the other day she told me that she has been brushing her teeth for 15 minutes once a day (I guess not as long the second time). She said that she went to the doctor and was able to skip an annual cleaning...

I have started to up the time I brush my teeth gradually.
Brushing your teeth for 15 minutes every day is likely to wear away the enamel. There is no way that brushing your teeth is a substitute for a cleaning. Most people get a buildup of tartar, which can only be removed during a dental cleaning.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:20 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have no reason to evaluate it , we don’t have it in ny …but out of all of the advantage plans i notice many do like kaiser

personally i wouldn’t opt for any advantage plan over govt medicare
I completely agree.
From day one of Medicare, I decided never Advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement