Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 06:36 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m wondering why everyone’s dental issues get to this point? If you neglected your mouth for all these years…why? Pay now, or pay later. Sorry.
It's not always a question of neglect. Some of us are blessed with better/stronger teeth than others. As has been mentioned, some had fluorinated water while others did NOT. Some inherit a tendency toward cavities/tooth decay while others don't. As a child, my best friend and I ate all the same junk and candy together. I took after my mother (who had dentures by 40 despite NOT eating candy) and have had a terrible time with my teeth despite brushing and flossing properly. My former best friend still hasn't had her first cavity all these decades later. So it's not necessarily anyone's "fault."

Sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 06:41 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,082 times
Dental cleaning in the US, 800 dollar
Dental cleaning in the Netherlands, 50 euro. And a "free" vacation....

Old 03-14-2023, 06:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
One option is medical tourism. Go to Mexico, for instance, and get the work done a lot cheaper than you can in the US.
That didn't work out so well for the Americans who were recently kidnapped and murdered (assuming "medical tourism" was the real reason they traveled there).

Old 03-14-2023, 06:43 PM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m wondering why everyone’s dental issues get to this point? If you neglected your mouth for all these years…why? Pay now, or pay later. Sorry.
I was raised by parents whose lives were ruined by alcoholism and poverty. They did not attend to their children in general, let alone their children's teeth. As soon as I could go to a dentist myself, I did. I had to have a lot of very bad teeth removed. Since I was getting charity dentistry, high end fixes were not an option. Later on when I had more resources I ended up getting more restoration work done, but that work itself doesn't last forever, so I've spent a lot on fixing the earlier fixes. I'm really not taking on the implicit judgement of a random person on the internet that I have "neglected" my teeth, but I hope should a random person imply such a thing that they feel a lot better about themselves for having done it.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Sorry if I missed it up thread, didn't read all the replies...

One option is medical tourism. Go to Mexico, for instance, and get the work done a lot cheaper than you can in the US. I had some dental work done there for a fraction of the cost.

The downside of course is that if something goes wrong you don't have the legal recourse you do here. But the guy who worked on my teeth lived in the US (he drove across that morning just like me), was trained in the US, had lots of equipment etc. He told me he did business on that side because of how expensive malpractice insurance would be in the US.

25 years later, I have no complaints. A root canal and crown ran about 80% less there.
Implants can take multiple visits over 6 months. So unless you live near the border it might not be feasible for implants.

First the Oral Surgeon:
Have teeth pulled and bone graft material inserted. Wait 3 months for bone to fill in. Get implant posts inserted. Wait 3 months and then get checked that bone has grown around the posts.

Then back to the Dentist for:
Impressions.
Wait for teeth to be made.
Installation of teeth.

Then you can smile.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Dental cleaning in the US, 800 dollar
Dental cleaning in the Netherlands, 50 euro. And a "free" vacation....
If you are paying $800 to get your teeth cleaned, find a different dentist.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I've always said that I could travel the world on the money I've spent on my teeth.

I never had great teeth and as a teenager I needed a few root canals and crowns. Lots of cavities because we didn't have flouride back in those days.

So when I had to get an implant I did my homework and asked around. It really makes a difference whether you go to an honest, experienced dentist or a guy who just cares about money. A good reliable friend recommended the dentist who made my implant (upper and near the front) and then I went to my regular dentist to have it put in.

It's been about 18 years now and the only problem I've had was that it felt sort of loose one time. But the dentist I have now joked around and said I had a screw loose !!!!! lol and he went ahead and fixed it. That was a few years ago and it's been fine.

Maybe the implant was about the only good luck I've had with my teeth. I've never had dental insurance and always tried to get recommendations from reliable friends when looking for a dentist. You go to those dentists who are part of a chain and I think you get what you pay for. My friend who recommended his implant dentist has an entire mouth of implants! It's been over 20 years now and he's never had a problem.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:31 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times
My back teeth were removed in 1980 - because of Navy policy. Never caused an issue

Old 03-15-2023, 12:31 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I lost a back molar and asked about an implant and was told no one would put an implant back there unless it was to support a bridge. The second molar is the chewing tooth. I let the back one go after a long fight to keep it - I just wanted to keep it as long as possible and there was no infection, so I got an extra 3 yrs from it. Since losing it, I've had no issues at all and they tell me the area around the one next to it has improved greatly in terms of stability.

The problem is that everyone's mouth is individual and what happens is nothing you can predict. However, if you're taking a poll, I'm in the camp with replacing the last molar in back with an implant is a waste of money. But if you ask a surgeon about surgery.... Old saying about if the only tool you have is a hammer, your problems all start to look like nails.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:26 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
I lost one molar due to stupidity (neglected to treat a cavity, it got infected, had to be removed), and got an implant, im very careful with my remaining teeth and will floss 2-3 times a day if needed. Eventually. I do plan to get full veneers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement