Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 04:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,010,072 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with everyone advising to pull the tooth if it's infected or causing issues. I don't agree that leaving a hole won't have any impact. Yeah, it may take a few years, but sooner or later the teeth that used to meet this tooth will shift. The one(s) vertically opposite will erupt - moving upward or downward. In a few years, you'll find more space in between teeth on that jaw. It's not a fast process, but it can cause issues.

As for solutions - I don't know why you couldn't go the old-fashioned route, with a bridge or dentures. Although, I don't think the younger generation of dentists are even trained in how to do those. I'm not sure about that, but it would be something to ask.

As for the cost, I have a major university dental school an hour away. I can go there, and the students do the work. The costs, to me, are 1/3 to 1/2 that of a dentist in the area. The teaching dentists examine all the work, so there isn't an issue of sloppy work. I have had the experience of a dental student who just didn't have good hands, and I've also had the experience of dental students who had extraordinary hands. Because they are students, and every bit of work has to be examined, it does take longer than a typical dental office to do the work. All in all, though, I've been happy. You might want to see what sort of dental schools are in your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 04:51 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,819,412 times
Your wise to ask; agree with ansible90. Get a 2nd option.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,695,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I don`t understand either.....there are going to be alot of toothless people around.
Not as many as there used to be. I'm 67. All of my grandparents, aunts, great aunts and uncles all had dentures that they used to complain about. My aunt lost all her teeth in her 20s and had dentures the rest of her life. Delivering newspapers in the late 1960s, olde people often came to the door without their dentures.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:56 PM

19,879 posts, read 9,431,110 times
I would not advise anyone about what to do in THEIR case, but I have acquired quite a bit of cynicism regarding dental advice from dentists.

But, FWIW, I have had a missing tooth (lower, not seen) for over 30 years, and no harm has resulted from NOT having an implant, but OTOH, I had an implant on an upper tooth done five years ago, and the crown chipped recently, and I was told that to fix it, it would cost $3,800 in addition to the $3,500 it cost for the original implant -- so if I have it done, it will cost a total of $7,300 for ONE tooth. As I am 69 years old, I have decided that I am going to go the route of a partial denture instead when I think that is necessary. But, again, that is my decision for myself.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:58 PM

7,197 posts, read 4,596,865 times
I lost some teeth in the back decades ago and was told my teeth would shift if I didn’t get a bridge. I didn’t do anything and the teeth never moved.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:08 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times
Right after I retired I had a horrible sinus infection and a corrupt dentist pulled a tooth out saying that would cure the infection. Well, the tooth was near the front so I got an implant from a reputable dentist. It was expensive but I am extremely frugal and I was able to pay it off in one year using a Care Credit card with zero interest.

Years later I had the back molars pulled. No problem. I have never wanted to be bothered with dentures or bridges like my parents and grandparents had. I have never regretted getting the implant--who wants a big hole near the front of their mouth? And maybe the other teeth would have shifted place.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:18 PM

18,181 posts, read 15,755,827 times
When I was a child, I remember my father telling me to "do everything I possibly could to keep all my teeth and maintain them." For some reason, I took that advice to heart.

I go for cleaning, including perio maintenance, 3x a year, and have since the '90s. I told my dentist about my Diabetic aunt having so many teeth pulled and having to get implants. My dentist said to me, "we're not going to let that happen to you!"

It's an investment in overall health and wellness and, like a highway, requires ongoing maintenance.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:27 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
When I lived in another state I had to have two molars pulled -- one upper and then later on one lower. Both times the dentist said I should get an implant and both times I said "thanks, but no thanks".

I now live in Tn and my dentist here said the areas where I had teeth extracted are doing fine -- no migrating teeth and no bone resorption. I don't miss them at all.

I hesitate to say so but I think 'some' dentists recommend procedures based on dollars more than need.

They want a bigger boat.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:32 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,671,869 times
My mother in law had a back molar extracted due to an infected absess when she was 85. No dental implant was recommended (or even mentioned). She's now 95 and has had no problems with her remaining teeth moving or shifting. She still sees the dentist religiously every six months.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:43 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not as many as there used to be. I'm 67. All of my grandparents, aunts, great aunts and uncles all had dentures that they used to complain about. My aunt lost all her teeth in her 20s and had dentures the rest of her life. Delivering newspapers in the late 1960s, olde people often came to the door without their dentures.
Yes. We were lucky to have floride toothpaste, regular cleanings, and the ability to get cavities filled before they became big problems.

On the issue of shifting teeth, I suspect that is more likely for a child, teen or young adult who is still growing. For us elders, unless you have bone deterioration, I don't think the teeth are going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement