Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 05:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,695,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes. We were lucky to have floride toothpaste.
Yes, and fluoride in water even though many places do not have fluoride in their public water system. My local water system does not add fluoride. Fluoride made a huge difference. Even though my relatives all had dentures, at 67 I have all of my teeth and have gotten three fillings in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 05:56 PM

7,036 posts, read 4,917,849 times
I've lost three bottom molars. The fourth one is a root canal and a crown.

Of the other three, one had a root canal but the root disintegrated, and one was pulled by mistake by an idiot dentist. I can't remember why the third is gone.

But the tooth that caused the molar to be pulled by mistake is *&%$^&*. I did have a root canal done on it, but couldn't afford to have a crown. Went to have it pulled finally and the dentist said she could do a post and build instead, and then I could have a crown over it.

The tooth is driving me nutty. I want it out. Of course, now it's broken all the way down to the gum and would probably have to be chisled out. I don't know why I was talked into getting a post and build. That was the stupidest mistake I've ever made with my teeth except for letting that idiot dentist pull my healthy molar out for no reason.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:04 PM

14,983 posts, read 12,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
DH has all his teeth, but now is going to lose one....last one in the back. We are now retired, and have no dental ins. Dentist said that he needs in implant, so neighboring teeth are not affected....thousands of dollars . Anyone not replace a pulled tooth, and not have any issues, years afterwards?
I also posted in the dental forum, but not much action there.
I lost a last molar in the back ( bottom right side) about 8 years ago after a several attempts over previous years to save it. The dentist ( who does keep our pocketbooks in mind, as well as our ages) never mentioned anything about putting in an implant, or anything else. That was fine with me, and other than the gap back there, I've not noticed any difference with the rest of my teeth. I do know that this dentist will recommend implants, bridges or partial dentures if there is loss of more than one tooth, or one where it's loss would affect the other teeth, he has recommended them for my husband. We have no dental
insurance either, so he's considered our pocketbooks in his recommendations.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:15 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,060,274 times
I had $5800 worth of dental work done 10 years ago. I have lost those back molars I had work on. If I was to get implants it would only get worse as I age. I have to keep replacing teeth with implants everytime I lose another tooth. It's okay while I am working but once I retire it will be a whole different story. I full set of implants (upper & lowers) cost 60k. I am sure dentures are in my future and I can only hope the price of implants come down in price at some point. I can see investing in them if your young but it makes little sense to me to spend that kind of money while your in your 70's. To each his own I guess

Old 03-13-2023, 08:48 PM

11 posts, read 6,155 times
So, we all have 3 molars on one side to start with. Total 6 upper, and 6 lower.

It is fine to have the wisdom teeth pulled. But, if you also lose the middle molar without implant, you will be left with just one molar for chewing on that side. Can you still eat without much difficulty?

Old 03-13-2023, 08:56 PM

2,565 posts, read 2,746,557 times
I was just at the dentist today. My back lower tooth had been bothering me. After taking x-rays he found that the bone was gone. He is going to remove the tooth. No need to put anything in there unless it bothers me eating.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4986 View Post
So, we all have 3 molars on one side to start with. Total 6 upper, and 6 lower.

It is fine to have the wisdom teeth pulled. But, if you also lose the middle molar without implant, you will be left with just one molar for chewing on that side. Can you still eat without much difficulty?
Yes you can still eat. A set of 2 crowns with a bridge tooth in between to cover the missing tooth is much cheaper than an implant. A removable bridge is cheaper yet.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:17 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,539,205 times
I lost a bottom tooth recently, a small one on the left right before the molars. It did not show, but it did bother me, with food dropping in it, and my tongue constantly finding it. I had planned previously to get an implant any time I lost a tooth. I got an implant, with cadaver bone graft, and very pleased. Very expensive, $6k, but hopefully won't need another one for a while. I keep a dental savings account in my Capital One card site, and put money in it every month. No dental insurance.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:46 AM

14,983 posts, read 12,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I had $5800 worth of dental work done 10 years ago. I have lost those back molars I had work on. If I was to get implants it would only get worse as I age. I have to keep replacing teeth with implants everytime I lose another tooth. It's okay while I am working but once I retire it will be a whole different story. I full set of implants (upper & lowers) cost 60k. I am sure dentures are in my future and I can only hope the price of implants come down in price at some point. I can see investing in them if your young but it makes little sense to me to spend that kind of money while your in your 70's. To each his own I guess
That's exactly what our dentist says too. He considers the age of the patient and how long any work he does will need to last, ie, based on how old the patient is.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:08 AM

10,117 posts, read 6,467,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes. We were lucky to have floride toothpaste, regular cleanings, and the ability to get cavities filled before they became big problems.

On the issue of shifting teeth, I suspect that is more likely for a child, teen or young adult who is still growing. For us elders, unless you have bone deterioration, I don't think the teeth are going anywhere.
I think it depends on where the tooth is located. I still have a baby tooth in the lower middle of the left hand side of my jaw. There was never a secondary tooth behind it. I suspect that if it were to fall out or have to be removed, my teeth would shift to fill the gap. My teeth came in oddly due to my cleft lip and had to be forcibly dragged into position with a wire that caused extreme pain when I was young. Fun times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement