Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 04:34 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
You could get a new heart, liver, lungs, kidneys and a face lift, for the price of a full mouth of implants. Dental is a sad state of affairs, it should be somewhat covered under medicare.
It seems I read recently that Medicare will cover up to $1500/year for dental implants.

Can't find any information relating to that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 04:38 PM

721 posts, read 598,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the top fits and feels very comfortably , it does not effect speech at all .

if the bottom jaw is like oak the top is like balsa wood .

implants are risky on top as they can end up very easily in the sinus cavity ..

they don’t have much to hold them .

the bottom jaw is dense bone .

even the surgeons i had said they can’t see doing the top .

the bottom can be hell to hold a denture …it’s suction that holds dentures in place .

the moving tongue breaks that suction all the time
Thanks for the input, Mathjak! We'll be adding your experience and perspective into the mix as dh weighs his options.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:43 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
When I lived in another state I had to have two molars pulled -- one upper and then later on one lower. Both times the dentist said I should get an implant and both times I said "thanks, but no thanks".

I now live in Tn and my dentist here said the areas where I had teeth extracted are doing fine -- no migrating teeth and no bone resorption. I don't miss them at all.

I hesitate to say so but I think 'some' dentists recommend procedures based on dollars more than need.
Oh, no doubt. I had a friend who hadn't seen a dentist in a long time. When he went, they told him he had like 21 cavities. Went to get a second opinion. Guess what? No cavities. Shameful.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:04 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Have it pulled. I have been missing the last two top molars on both sides for many years. That empty space does not show. But when front teeth started going, I got implants for those.

Missing the last tooth in the back is unlikely to allow other teeth to shift.

Implants are not the only solution either. They can make a crown on the next to last tooth with a cantilevered fake last tooth. I had some of those in the past. Or a removable fake tooth that clips on to the teeth adjacent to the empty spot.

Implants are not the only solution. Find a different dentist.
I agree with this, I've never heard a dentist insist that you need an implant on the last tooth

Old 03-14-2023, 05:07 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It seems I read recently that Medicare will cover up to $1500/year for dental implants.

Can't find any information relating to that now.
Some medicare advantage plans have dental plans, but medicare only pays for dental work when there is a surgical removal of part or all of the jaw usually due to cancer.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:14 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
You could get a new heart, liver, lungs, kidneys and a face lift, for the price of a full mouth of implants. Dental is a sad state of affairs, it should be somewhat covered under medicare.
My wife would tease me and say 'I got a new Mercedes and all you got was a grill'.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:33 PM

899 posts, read 670,073 times
Sorry if I missed it up thread, didn't read all the replies...

One option is medical tourism. Go to Mexico, for instance, and get the work done a lot cheaper than you can in the US. I had some dental work done there for a fraction of the cost.

The downside of course is that if something goes wrong you don't have the legal recourse you do here. But the guy who worked on my teeth lived in the US (he drove across that morning just like me), was trained in the US, had lots of equipment etc. He told me he did business on that side because of how expensive malpractice insurance would be in the US.

25 years later, I have no complaints. A root canal and crown ran about 80% less there.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:46 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I’m wondering why everyone’s dental issues get to this point? If you neglected your mouth for all these years…why? Pay now, or pay later. Sorry.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:34 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m wondering why everyone’s dental issues get to this point? If you neglected your mouth for all these years…why? Pay now, or pay later. Sorry.
No problem you may still be sorry. I had great teeth and took good care of them until my military requirement. I was an ordinary GI, not an officer, and the dental practice at that time was to pull them instead of fixing them. Further, they did not have the best dentist in Africa and Vietnam. Also living on C rations for a year did not help. You never heard me complaining about the cost, but I knew what my future would be like and did not want dental problems in my eighties. My wife had great teeth until her late 70s but now had to have two implants and who knows how many more in her 80s.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:34 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Medicaid does cover some implant charges.

Cost of dental work is a well know item in the US.

Dental schools and pro-bono work are options. Depending in the individual so is a part time job for a while.

Personal experiences are great but everyone has a different story. I had no issues forever and it took one year form my front teeth to try to overlap. Braces are no fun, not inexpensive and a nuisance but a necessity. Four sources and a variance of up to 100% for the identical product.

I would start with a second opinion and the easiest solution. Dental infections spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement