Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 09:18 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If missing teeth are not replaced it weakens surrounding causing other issues. Basically that gap creates a vacuum other teeth will try to fill.
Not always. Depends on which tooth is missing and how strong the gums and bone structure are. You are assuming an awful lot in your comments. Older people are not the same as growing children, teens, and young adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 09:44 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Because dentists cost money.

I could get a dental cleaning for $50, but before they'll do that, they want to do a full exam including X-rays for an additional $185.

I still have no hot water in my trailer. I need to buy a tankless electric water heater but then I have to pay someone to put that in. There goes the money for the dentist.

And before I do that, I need to get my eyes checked. I need two pairs of glasses. The last time I got one pair and had an eye exam, it cost me $500. There goes the money for the tankless water heater plus some.

And this is how it's been for most of my life.

You have to set priorities. And unfortunately for me, a dentist has always had to follow behind things like rent, food, clothes, gas, car repairs, car insurance, car registration, utilities, etc., etc., etc.
Good post, but I can't help but wonder why you are in such a tough financial situation as you seem to be one of the more intelligent posters (and one of my favorites, too, btw).

Do you have an America's Best eye "shop" in your area? I have been going to them for at least 30 years, both in Colorado and now in Wisconsin, and they are VERY economical (about a total of $250 for the eye exam and two pairs of glasses), and I have never had any issues with them or their products.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:41 AM

4,857 posts, read 3,289,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
And then there are those of us who went to the dentist every 6 months since childhood, who brush and use a waterpik, and still have needed crowns, root canals and periodontal work, and who have lost some teeth. Genetics.
Or those of us who had perfect teeth until meeting the military dentist.

Grew up seeing the dentist regularly, including several months prior to joining the military. No cavities ever. First military dental appointment identified twenty two cavities that needed to be addressed. What? Really?

40+ years later, I've had exactly one new cavity beyond those 22, but all manner of work done to try to keep about half of the ones the AF 'fixed' in my mouth.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:05 AM

6,825 posts, read 14,043,433 times
Quote:
And then there are those of us who went to the dentist every 6 months since childhood, who brush and use a waterpik, and still have needed crowns, root canals and periodontal work, and who have lost some teeth. Genetics.

For me I knew it was genetics. Both my parents had dentures before the age of 60. Because of this they made sure I made regular trips to the dentist to keep my teeth in good shape. I brushed 2 or 3 times a day and I always had them cleaned. Along the way I had a couple of crowns and some filings done. My back molars failed first and I did not care much because they were back teeth and I could still eat what I wanted. Now my front teeth are failing and dentures are in my future. I just turned 60 and for the last 20 years I knew I would have to have dentures by age 60. I was a year short on my prediction.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:32 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
During the pandemic I lost two teeth. Could not find a dentist in my area that would see me short of at least 1year to six months. Finally I did see a dentist who said my bone loss was elevated and that I should pull all my bottom teeth. I'm 65, retired and have all my teeth except those two back teeth that just fell out. I do believe I have bone loss, but no bleeding gums, no pain. The dentist offered to replace all teeth on the bottom with a full denture using four titanium screws to anchor the denture in place, no removing. The cost, $30,000.00. My insurance only covers $1400.00. I said no, I want partials. The dental costs in the US is very high. I may fly first class to some foreign land to have work done at 3rd of the cost, easily.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:41 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
During the pandemic I lost two teeth. Could not find a dentist in my area that would see me short of at least 1year to six months. Finally I did see a dentist who said my bone loss was elevated and that I should pull all my bottom teeth. I'm 65, retired and have all my teeth except those two back teeth that just fell out. I do believe I have bone loss, but no bleeding gums, no pain. The dentist offered to replace all teeth on the bottom with a full denture using four titanium screws to anchor the denture in place, no removing. The cost, $30,000.00. My insurance only covers $1400.00. I said no, I want partials. The dental costs in the US is very high. I may fly first class to some foreign land to have work done at 3rd of the cost, easily.
You might ask a different dentist about removable dentures. Would cost much less. What you described sounds more like a full lower implant

Old 03-16-2023, 06:42 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
one of the problems i had was over more then a decade i had implants replaced by different surgeons

every surgeon has a particular style implant they use and they all are slightly different .

so when it came time to replace the permanent denture piece which had to be cut up when i got the implant canal infection , no lab we could find would do a case with mixed implant types .

my dentist found a lab in canada that could do it .

they did a great job dealing with the stress points that the different implants can have

Old 03-16-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You might ask a different dentist about removable dentures. Would cost much less. What you described sounds more like a full lower implant
What it is is a full bottom denture. Only four screws are used to anchor the denture in place. It can only be removed by the dentist. I did read up on this method and some folks take to it pretty good, others have had serious issues with this method. Anyway you slice it 30 thousand dollars is one hell of a markup.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Maybe dentures shouldn't have gotten such a bad reputation. Seems they worked for many years for many people, and only when more expensive technology come along did those alternatives seem preferable. If they're unaffordable, however (not to mention painful and not always reliable), maybe it's time to take a step back to what worked for (some of) our parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents just fine. Keep it simple!

Old 03-16-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
What it is is a full bottom denture. Only four screws are used to anchor the denture in place. It can only be removed by the dentist. I did read up on this method and some folks take to it pretty good, others have had serious issues with this method. Anyway you slice it 30 thousand dollars is one hell of a markup.
I should add that only the dentist can detach the denture from the 4 screws. The screws stay in place. Again, the denture does come out. Within the 4 screws, they are 4 very small proprietary screws the dentist releases using a special tool to remove the denture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement