Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 08:39 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I'm another who has lost molars (inherited bad teeth), not replaced them, and suffered no ill effects. When I lost one recently due to a raging apical abscess, no mention was made of an implant, perhaps because my dentist knows I'm uninsured and too miserly to pay for one out-of-pocket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 08:42 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I had $5800 worth of dental work done 10 years ago. I have lost those back molars I had work on. If I was to get implants it would only get worse as I age. I have to keep replacing teeth with implants everytime I lose another tooth. It's okay while I am working but once I retire it will be a whole different story. I full set of implants (upper & lowers) cost 60k. I am sure dentures are in my future and I can only hope the price of implants come down in price at some point. I can see investing in them if your young but it makes little sense to me to spend that kind of money while your in your 70's. To each his own I guess
In Bangkok, a full set of implant-based bridges (10 crowns supported by 4 implants in the upper jaw + the same in the lower jaw) costs around $17k-20k. Add about $2k for a r/t plane ticket and a 3-month stay in Bangkok. Their dentistry (and medicine in general) is at the Western level for 1/3 price or less.

I have only one molar missing so far, but I think 3 more are likely in trouble, and the veneers on two top front teeth keep breaking/getting re-cemented. If I end up losing enough teeth to start to have major problems eating, I'll probably go to Bangkok to have all of my teeth pulled, and the above-described implant-supported bridges installed.

In a moment of stupidity in my early 40s, I had spent about $20k for 8 upper front dental veneers from a famous cosmetic dentist to Hollywood stars (solely vanity reasons; 7 of the 8 teeth were healthy), and will not repeat the mistake of getting any other complex non-emergent dental work in the US (there have been nothing but problems with these veneers ever since).

Old 03-14-2023, 08:46 AM

106,584 posts, read 108,739,314 times
implants are not as permanent as they lead you to believe .

bone loss , rejections and infections can cause implant loss .

i did 6 on the bottom about 13 years ago …more then half have been replaced . rejection of early ones was an issue

i developed a implant canal infection recently and am going next week to deal with it .

i may lose that implant.

first time was 25k and second time 12k ..

the 6 implants hold a permanent mounted denture.

the first one was glued in permanently and the 12k piece had to be destroyed when i had a canal infection .

the new one i did 2 years ago also cost 12k but it is mounted into the implants with removable titanium screws which of course can only be used once and cost 50 bucks each.

i am scheduled to have it cleaned and removed in june so 6 new screws are 250 bucks plus the dentists charge

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-14-2023 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-14-2023, 09:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Personally, I've always taken the fact that we outlive our teeth as a sign that we're living too long.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:38 AM

8,751 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.....DH will be going for a second opinion.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:01 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Does anyone here still have the old-style dentures? Complete or partial? How does that work out for you? Like, if you lose a bunch of teeth in your late 80s, do you suppose ordinary dentures would be adequate for however long you have left to live?

Old 03-14-2023, 12:07 PM

106,584 posts, read 108,739,314 times
tops work just fine .

on the bottom they were unusable …the tongue constantly has them breaking free .

quality of life sucked .

i would never implant the top but the bottom was not an option .

it can require frequent visits so it is nothing i would do far away thinking that’s it i am done .

there are issues that can arise and i have had quite a few .

all our bipodies are different and our holding power or rejection rate is all different.

the body rejects them by slowly building up calcium underneath the implant .

i was on the george washington bridge in traffic cursing .

i went Fu%#kin traffic .

and with that i spit one of the implants out.

there are many styles of implants and sizes and the surgeons take their best guess which may be the best type for you but only time tells which is for you.

i have had good luck with one’s called BICONS

https://www.bicon.com/

Old 03-14-2023, 12:09 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Does anyone here still have the old-style dentures? Complete or partial? How does that work out for you? Like, if you lose a bunch of teeth in your late 80s, do you suppose ordinary dentures would be adequate for however long you have left to live?
One major consideration on a lot of thing, teeth included, will be different depending on ones age. As an example, teeth separation do to one being pulled is a real issue but it is something that takes many years to happen. What I would have done at age 40 is not what I would have done at age 65. Same with dentures.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:09 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
I cracked my back molar and had to have it pulled about ten years ago — only $350.— no dental insurance.
Never suggested an implant. None of my other teeth have moved.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:32 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
DH has all his teeth, but now is going to lose one....last one in the back. We are now retired, and have no dental ins. Dentist said that he needs in implant, so neighboring teeth are not affected....thousands of dollars . Anyone not replace a pulled tooth, and not have any issues, years afterwards?
I also posted in the dental forum, but not much action there.
I had the farthest back molar pulled, rather than pay for a crown. At the time I had no insurance either. I regret doing this, because i just wish my teeth were all there, but not because it has ever caused any issues by being missing, whatsoever. It’s been 15 years ago.

I would not get an implant after what my friend has gone through. After over a year of having a missing tooth in front, she still hasn’t gotten the final tooth. The process is WAY too long.

We bought Aetna Dental Access for about $170. a year for the family. It is like a discount coupon, not insurance, and you must use a participating dentist. There were several dentists in my area, so no problem. My last crown cost $780. and my last cleaning and check up was $69. We are very happy with this plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement