Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2023, 10:10 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,912 times

Advertisements

I’m so happy where I live. I’m in Asheville on a mountain. I enjoy the 4 mild seasons. I have about 3 acres, mostly wooded. It is the most beautiful place I’ve ever lived. If one is bored in this area it is their own fault. After being here for 9 years, I am comfortable and happy with my medical professionals, including my sweet dogs vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 06:41 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
New York, New York, a wonderful town
The Bronx is up and the Battery's down
The people ride in a hole in the ground
New York, New York,
It's a wonderful town!

Lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

[from another thread on a similar topic]

I would have like to be retired in NYC.

The availability of entertainment, medical facilities, restaurants, and transportation made it tops for my retirement list. No need to drive; you can walk or take public transportation.

While some smaller cities have venues for concerts and shows, their venues do not equate to Carnegie Hall or the Metropolitan Opera House.

Unfortunately, family circumstances required that I leave NYC and live with a car in the south.

Fortunately, bagels can be shipped, and pastrami is only a FedEx package away. Sigh.
I commuted to the city all my life and still do part-time, but I've always dreamed of living in the city for at least a year. Even now.

Manhattan rents are $4K for a one-bedroom.

I could do it when I start collecting SS at 66 8 months. Just use the SS money for rent, adding to it with the part-time job income. Pension for everything else. Keep my condo near the Jersey shore.

I'll let you know.

My final destination (my PLAN anyway, and we know how that goes) is to land upstate NY somewhere. But I'd like my year in the city.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:54 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I commuted to the city all my life and still do part-time, but I've always dreamed of living in the city for at least a year. Even now.

I could do it when I start collecting SS at 66 8 months. Just use the SS money for rent, adding to it with the part-time job income. Pension for everything else. Keep my condo near the Jersey shore.

I'll let you know.

My final destination (my PLAN anyway, and we know how that goes) is to land upstate NY somewhere. But I'd like my year in the city.
I lived in Jersey City for a couple of years in the 1990s for a fraction of the rent of Manhattan and had a million dollar skyline view. I could walk to Newport PATH station and get to lower or mid Manhattan faster than residents of most parts of NYC could get there. Yes, it was a JC address but gave me a taste of big city life.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:05 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I lived in Jersey City for a couple of years in the 1990s for a fraction of the rent of Manhattan and had a million dollar skyline view. I could walk to Newport PATH station and get to lower or mid Manhattan faster than residents of most parts of NYC could get there. Yes, it was a JC address but gave me a taste of big city life.
But ... you were still living in Jersey. As a native New Yorker I have an emotional block which would keep me from ever doing that.

Quick question: Is the Statue of Liberty in NY or NJ? How one answers is the key.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
JC ("the sixth borough") is not much cheaper than Manhattan these days, but yes, I think about that, too, especially since the job is just south of the WTC, so living near the Newport or Exchange Place PATH makes getting to the city a breeze. Bonus is that you SEE the skyline from that side of the creek. Not really worried about the address.

Rumor has it that 5 WTC will have residential units for 9/11 survivors, but there will be income limits and I don't know what they will be. Or just how fast it will be built, lol. They still have to get 2 WTC up. (3 and 4 are office space and occupied.)

Old 08-01-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
But ... you were still living in Jersey. As a native New Yorker I have an emotional block which would keep me from ever doing that.

Quick question: Is the Statue of Liberty in NY or NJ? How one answers is the key.
It's on federal land. Closer to NJ geographically, but I think the imaginary line in the harbor puts it on the NY side.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:12 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
Quote:
It's on federal land. Closer to NJ geographically, but I think the imaginary line in the harbor puts it on the NY side.
The feds say that it is in NY.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The feds say that it is in NY.
Yup.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:27 AM

844 posts, read 419,232 times
Quote:

I'll let you know.

I worked summer jobs in Mahattan during high school and always love the classic buildings. The upper east side was quiet but lower Mahattan has the old classic buildings. Also love the CPE and CPW for their tree-lined streets.

But what takes my breathes away is driving along the Sawmill River Parkway north of Westchester around the Hasting-on-Hudson, especially in the fall with the leaves changing colors.

Of course, I wouldn't know what it's really like to live there. The reality sets in doing everyday practical stuff, such as groceries shopping. I'm so used to carry groceries (sometimes in a shopping cart) to the parking lot then put them in my trunk. I'm not sure how I'd react if I need to carry the groceries and walk 10 blocks, then 3 flight of stairs to my little brownestone.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:57 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:

I'll let you know.

How long is your commute from Jersey City? It looks to be very close from the Battery City esplanade, just cross the tunnel under the river. Why not just stay at a reasonably priced hotel in Manhattan one week per month for a year (and maybe commute from NJ on other days)? Maybe you'll get a discount on booking a total of 12 weeks over one year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement