Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2023, 10:02 AM

5,463 posts, read 6,077,583 times

Advertisements

I'm right in line with Manigault!! The northern most Carolina for the win and the retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 11:40 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,678,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
NC is my destination. Looking at the Triad area. Specifically, Davidson county (Thomasville, High Point, etc.) Want acreage, rural and solitude. Me and Mrs. QL just want to be left alone. Currently living in the Poconos in PA. Live on a half acre but we still have neighbors and the winters can be brutal. Beautiful country up here but trying to escape the winters without going extreme (Florida, GA, etc.)
That really is a sweet spot in NC, especially Thomasville which has a cute, friendly downtown and low utility costs. Access to both Greensboro and Winston-Salem for major shopping and medical, plus UNC and Duke if world-class specialty medical is needed. Mountains and beaches within 2-3 hours are also a draw.

Like everywhere, real estate has risen significantly in that area but is still quite moderate compared to Raleigh or Charlotte where growth has absolutely exploded over the last decades.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:47 AM

17,615 posts, read 13,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Where I have friends
Bingo!

Most of our friends live in our area. I don't feel like moving and trying to build a new social network at this time in our lives.

We always wanted to move Southwest, somewhere between Colorado Springs and Santa Fe, But, we agreed to stay here as long as our parents are alive. MrsM's mother is going to be 100 next month. My parents and her dad are deceased. There is no way we would move while mom is living.

Now, there is no way we would move and start over.

We had many friends that moved to Florida, or out West, only to have one, or both of them die or fet very sick. This left their kids in the position of taking care of them, or cleaning up their estates, while living thousands of miles away

If you have no family and few friends, move and be healthy and happy. Otherwise, stay put and enjoy life and travel.

We go to Florida for 5-6 weeks every winter to get out of the cold, and usually a trip out west every year after schools are back in session and crowds are thinner. We are lucky that I traveled for business for over 30 years and hoarded airline and hotel points so we don't spend a lot of money

Old 07-19-2023, 12:14 PM

5,463 posts, read 6,077,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
NC is my destination. Looking at the Triad area. Specifically, Davidson county (Thomasville, High Point, etc.) Want acreage, rural and solitude. Me and Mrs. QL just want to be left alone. Currently living in the Poconos in PA. Live on a half acre but we still have neighbors and the winters can be brutal. Beautiful country up here but trying to escape the winters without going extreme (Florida, GA, etc.)

Great area, both the one you are leaving and the one you are heading to. I went to HS and some college in Jersey, every class we skipped was spend up and around the Delaware Water Gap area. Don't remember much other than the scenery was great and the beer was cold.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:44 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,437,708 times
I'm not sure I would be content with settling in one area the rest of my life,I'm an explorer by nature so I'd like to perhaps keep trying new places. But if I could no longer be that mobile,I think weatherwise I'd probably like to be somewhere in southwest u.s....

Old 07-19-2023, 12:46 PM

827 posts, read 588,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
I would love to have a cozy little lakehouse, with the other houses dotted around the lake and spaced far enough apart for privacy, but not so far apart as to be isolated. There'd be a quaint little town nearby, just a short bike ride away, with a post office, a cafe, a bank, a hair salon, an ice cream shop, a book store, a doctor who makes house calls, a veterinarian, a police station, a firehouse, and assorted mom-and-pop stores for all essentials. Neighbors would be friendly and everyone would know everyone.

Of course, my lake community would have no crime, no mosquitos, no snakes, no summer rentals, and no possibility of existing anywhere other than in my head!

Sounds like you may like England. Watch "Escape to the Country" to see what I mean.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:54 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,787,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benroster View Post
Where would you love to be living in your retirement years?
I'm pretty happy where I am now. Upon retirement, I moved from sunny Southern California to snowy North Idaho. But, I've toyed with the idea of spending half the year in southern France or central Italy.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-19-2023, 07:04 PM

997 posts, read 550,519 times
Less than 3 hrs driving distance from my kids and hopefully grandkids.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:20 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
I like where I’m at on the upper Olympic Peninsula in Washington and I want to stay here as long as possible.

We have a few hundred feet of private beach where I hobby raise oysters/clams and kayak on our lower area.
In our upper area we have tall trees and even an eagle nest.
The weather here is fantastic in the summer (normally 70ish degrees) and not to bad in the winter.
We actually receive more rain at our place in California than we do here

One of our kids moved 15 miles near us and the other is considering it too.
We also have a large family pod here due to my wife’s family being from here, so it’s nice to have family close by.

The healthcare here blows so we keep our California healthcare that I receive from my pension plan.
We have business interests in California so we add on a medical or dental visit on most of our trips down there.

I like our place in California a lot but I like the upper Olympic Peninsula better for this portion of our lives.
I figure this part of our lives might last another 20-25 years.
I’d like to stay here but not at the cost of long drives for medical reasons.

I designed/built my place in California near 40 years ago and it’s not going anywhere any time soon I just hope I don’t have to return to it.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:50 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,790,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Where I have friends
I moved 1000 miles west to New Mexico. I had friends in the small town I left behind and also in the city, where I was born, grew up and started working. Some have been friends for 50 years, some longer, some 20 years.

I learned how to make friends along the way and now I have a new bunch of friends here. But I still have the old friends from years ago. I live near Albuquerque and my old friends consider it a vacation trip to come visit. I am near I-40 and I-25 and they will stop by on cross-country trips for a short stay or not so short, depending on schedules.

Old friends are good friends. I started my career with many who were also just starting out. But they don't always stay put, they move too. I have a friend here now from Tel Aviv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement