Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 01:50 PM

92 posts, read 218,345 times

Advertisements

I was born in '62 so I'm technically a Boomer, but I don't identify with anything much with that generation, except I sure liked their songs. When I hear the things about Gen X, that is much more me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 01:51 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,101,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
And, like all boomers, you look, think and act identically.
Bingo

Old 08-03-2023, 02:01 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
My mother was born in the fifth month of '45.

I was born in the first month of '65.

So, my mother and I are both "boomers"? This makes no sense at all.

Conclusion: These categories are only partially helpful. Please keep this in mind when you use the word boomer.
Sure it does. Lots of "boomer" parents with "boomer" kids. These generation "identifiers" can cover enough years to have a kid included.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:31 PM

12,862 posts, read 9,080,750 times
A few years ago I attended a management course in dealing with the different generations in the workplace. In that course the generations were defined slightly differently, and in a way that seemed to better match reality. One of the points the instructor brought up was that the definition of "boomer" and "millennial" (IE Gen Y) changed somewhat to make Gen Y become the millennials by better aligning with the millennium. Because of this shifting, people who were culturally Gen X got shifted into the boomer generation even though they culturally were very different (much like the OP and their mother really being of different generations but getting lumped together.

That resulted in both the Gen X and the "forgotten generation" (those too young to be "greatest generation" but born before 1945; roughly 1927-1944) becoming smaller and being squeezed between the big three -- greatest, boomer, and millennial. In the course he used cultural markers rather than periods of time to differentiate the generations since it was the cultural differences that showed up in the workplace. In that scheme:

Boomer: End of WW2 to Space Age; roughly 1945-1960
X: Space age to end of Vietnam War: roughly 1960-1975
Millennial: End of Vietnam to end of the Cold War and early computer age; Gulf War 1; roughly 1975-1992
Digital Natives/Gen Z: Grew up with technology. Roughly 1993-2010.

Because culture doesn't change overnight, there are several years of overlap at each junction.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:39 PM

10,326 posts, read 6,871,441 times
A "BOOMER" is a nuke powered sub. Contains "Sherwood Forest" usually.

Never know where they are.

Silent service.

NOT something you want to see go "BOOM..."

Old 08-03-2023, 05:55 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Census aside, it's all marketing.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:02 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
I find that the Boomer category is way too big. I was born in 1944 so that would make me some sort of a silent generation but that's not what I am. I was out there with the hippies protesting the Viet Nam War in college. I was and am an environmentalist back in the 1970s along with Earth Day. I remember the songs of the 60s and 70s as being the best although I liked some of the rock n roll stuff from the 50s too.

I'm not like the kids who were even a year ahead of me in high school. I'm more like what the younger kids were like back then. I wasn't born in boomer years but I'm what they call a boomer. There also seem to be two groups of boomers and I'm not like the younger boomers. We older boomers are not materialistic and we don't like McMansions or conspicuous consumption. Supposedly the younger group of boomers like those things. It gets complicated.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:21 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
I was born in '62 so I'm technically a Boomer, but I don't identify with anything much with that generation, except I sure liked their songs. When I hear the things about Gen X, that is much more me.
That is not rare. People born in 1962, maybe even 1961, and later do seem to identify culturally as Gen X. The late writer David Foster Wallace, whose stories and novels are famous for striving to depict the essence of the Gen X perception of the world, was born in 1962.

I was born in 1960, and am a card-carrying member of the Boomer generation :-). I feel far closer to people born 14 years before me than to those born 5 years after me (or even those 2 years after me, like you). My late boyfriend of many years was born 7 years before me, and I certainly felt very strongly that we were the exact same big generation.

Those are mostly cultural categories, and many people born close enough to an earlier or later cultural category will identify with the generation to which they don't technically quite belong. I am sure Mick Jagger must be identifying closer with Boomers than with his own Silent Generation. Anyway, doesn't seem like a big deal.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:28 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
That is not rare. People born in 1962, maybe even 1961, and later do seem to identify culturally as Gen X. The late writer David Foster Wallace, whose stories and novels are famous for striving to depict the essence of the Gen X perception of the world, was born in 1962.

I was born in 1960, and am a card-carrying member of the Boomer generation :-). I feel far closer to people born 14 years before me than to those born 5 years after me (or even those 2 years after me, like you). My late boyfriend of many years was born 7 years before me, and I certainly felt very strongly that we were the exact same big generation.

Those are mostly cultural categories, and many people born close enough to an earlier or later cultural category will identify with the generation to which they don't technically quite belong. I am sure Mick Jagger must be identifying closer with Boomers than with his own Silent Generation. Anyway, doesn't seem like a big deal.
Ditto for being born midway through 1959. I identify with other older boomers and feel much in common with them and not ashamed of it one bit. I like to think we are for the most part the children of the greatest generation.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:37 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,197,833 times
Born in '59, technically I'm a Boomer. But I don't feel like, or identify with Boomers. I feel more like Gen X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement