Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 09:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times

Advertisements

age (almost) 56
18 addresses, to the best of my recollection. (Give or take a few)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 10:18 AM

3,502 posts, read 2,665,554 times
Civilian 73 years
5 in Germany
4 New York
2 California
5 Texas, the last and current house 41 years

Military 9 years
3 Texas
1 Libya
1 Morocco
1 Congo
2 Thailand
1 Vietnam
1 Laos
1 Spain

Total 27
Age 82

Old 08-15-2023, 10:19 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times

8 When I was old enough to get mail. Didn't move around a lot.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:31 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Age 52

14 addresses...not including maybe a couple when I was too young to remember,and moving back to the same place a couple times.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:52 AM

11,504 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Years Of Life: 66
Number of addresses: 30

Crap, that averages every 2 years.

My father moved us at least every 4 years. All I wanted my entire life was to buy a home, and just stay put for life. Have it paid off, set up the way I want it. Simple life.

Life doesn't go according to plan. I have had 30 addresses since birth, and I am not done. I am renting but house hunting. Address 31.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My father moved us at least every 4 years. All I wanted my entire life was to buy a home, and just stay put for life. Have it paid off, set up the way I want it. Simple life.

Life doesn't go according to plan. I have had 30 addresses since birth, and I am not done. I am renting but house hunting. Address 31.
Do you think it's inherited?...My father moved us alot,then when I was old enough I started exploring/moving alot myself...as did most of my siblings. I never had the desire to settle in one place,though as I've gotten older I've often thought about possibly considering it. I once had a landlord who was around 90 who would still 'snowbird' between states...

Old 08-15-2023, 11:08 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Age 65, 9 addresses.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:13 AM

11,504 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Do you think it's inherited?...My father moved us alot,then when I was old enough I started exploring/moving alot myself...as did most of my siblings. I never had the desire to settle in one place,though as I've gotten older I've often thought about possibly considering it. I once had a landlord who was around 90 who would still 'snowbird' between states...

My 5 brothers and sisters all stayed put far more than me, so there is no indication it is inherited.

I also have an "explorer gene" that nobody else in my immediate family has.

My father moved every 4 years out of boredom. He thought that if he moved, he would be less bored. Unfortunately, he brought himself with him. He was bored because he was boring. He had no interests or hobbies, and no money to pursue many hobbies or interests. My father was on a fool's mission to escape his boring nature.

In my case, my early moves were navigating the ins and outs of college life, from dorms, to sublets, to temporary summer work, to transfers, to internships.

My career moves were from chasing "fun" work. I stayed with the same company 35 years, but I would get bored in my role and would transfer around seeking work that was more "fun". In that regard, I couldn't settle down. Once I got bored, I had to pull up stakes chasing more satisfying work.

It was not that I wanted to move. I was fighting boredom in my own way.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:37 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Addresses: 12

Three before majority.
One while in military.
Eight as an adult.

All in SoCal, until last one, (retirement home).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-15-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My 5 brothers and sisters all stayed put far more than me, so there is no indication it is inherited.

I also have an "explorer gene" that nobody else in my immediate family has.

My father moved every 4 years out of boredom.

My career moves were from chasing "fun" work. I stayed with the same company 35 years, but I would get bored in my role and would transfer around seeking work that was more "fun". In that regard, I couldn't settle down. Once I got bored, I had to pull up stakes chasing more satisfying work.

It was not that I wanted to move. I was fighting boredom in my own way.
That's an interesting take,perhaps I have a bit of A.D.D. because I tend to bore quickly also.

I remember as a teen I would study travel atlases and plan where I wanted to live etc so there's a wanderlust in there somewhere. I also chose a career that would involve travel,unfortunately I had to leave that years ago but I still think about it sometimes.

Out of my 5 siblings,only 2 of them pretty much stayed put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement